S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Issues with AP1 Not Starting

Old 11-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues with AP1 Not Starting

My 2001 AP1 has been having issues with starting.

Recently the main relay was replaced, and now a week later, the car won't start at all. Upon turning the key, all electrical aspects seem fine, though once the push button start is pressed, the car refuses to do anything.

I was able to push start the car and pop the clutch in second gear on an incline and drive it to my local mechanic. It was with the mechanic for nearly three days, and every single time that the car was tested, it started up fine, no issues at all. The mechanic checked all connections, as well as the fuel pump and starter, multiple times, though claimed that they couldn't find any issues.

Upon taking delivery back of the vehicle, it was driven for a day, multiple times being turned on and off, exhibiting no issues. The following morning though, the car is back to the same issue from the previous week, and this is now the way it sits.

I've searched on the forums, watched numerous videos on YouTube, though haven't been able to see any exhibiting the exact issue that I'm experiencing. Any ideas on what it could be?

Here's a video below of the issue that I filmed, oh and by the way, the slave master cylinder internals needs to be re-greased, thus the squeaking that you're hearing when clutch is pressed down.

Old 11-19-2017, 12:54 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Long shot, but take a peek under the dash -- push the clutch pedal down with your hand -- is the white clutch/interlock switch being pressed/unpressed properly alongside the pedal travel?
Old 11-19-2017, 01:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like a bad starter to me
Old 11-19-2017, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD
Long shot, but take a peek under the dash -- push the clutch pedal down with your hand -- is the white clutch/interlock switch being pressed/unpressed properly alongside the pedal travel?
Thanks for the recommendation.

I looked under the dash, and from what I can tell, everything seemed to be lining up correctly when I pressed/unpressed the clutch.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by honda4eva89
Looks like a bad starter to me
A bad starter is what I originally was thinking as well, though when I had it checked, my mechanic said it was showing a good working condition every single time it was tested.

Truth be told though, I may end up taking it to another mechanic and seeing if they say the same thing, as everyone I talk to about the issue usually goes right to the idea of suggesting the issue lies with the starter/starter solenoid.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by GothamS2K
Thanks for the recommendation.

I looked under the dash, and from what I can tell, everything seemed to be lining up correctly when I pressed/unpressed the clutch.
This would've caused more of a permanent no-start condition due to it being a mechanical failure of a part (broken white tab) very common lately

I'm leaning more towards an electrical component failure...like a starter solenoid, clutch interlock switch could also fail electronically but usually once it fails, it's done for
Old 11-19-2017, 03:02 PM

This would've caused more of a permanent no-start condition due to it being a mechanical failure of a part (broken white tab) very common lately

I'm leaning more towards an electrical component failure...like a starter solenoid, clutch interlock switch could also fail electronically but usually once it fails, it's done for
This possible "broken white tab" that you speak of, could it look something similar to what I found in the floorboard while I was out looking under the dash? I hadn't seen this plastic piece until this evening (as I park in a dimly lit parking garage), though the feel of it is similar to some of the material found on various connector tabs.

Here's a photo I took with it in my hand to evidence size comparison...

Old 11-19-2017, 04:08 PM

It's tough to say based on the picture..here's a link of another member experiencing the broken piece no start condition

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...ce-go-1174827/
Old 11-19-2017, 04:18 PM

It's tough to say based on the picture..here's a link of another member experiencing the broken piece no start condition

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...ce-go-1174827/
The irony of all of this is that I actually took and did the “bypass” of plugging a paper clip into the clutch interlock switch just to see if it would do any difference, but nothing changed, so plugged the clutch interlock switch back into place.

I’m really beginning to question whether my mechanic actually did test the starter and starter solenoid as he claims to have, seeing as everyone I talk with seems to keep believing that it’s got something to do with one of those two parts (starter/starter solenoid).

If the clutch interlock switch bypass didn’t work, would that be evidence that it can be ruled out, and thus have to be the starter/starter solenoid?
Old 11-19-2017, 05:06 PM

Try pushing your clutch pedal really hard and see if that makes a difference, if that works I would suggest replacing the piece of plastic on the clutch. It could also be your immobiliser possibly. If your starter worked, chances are really low that the starter or the solenoid are your issue. I would also check your grounds, see if you can see any corrosion built up around grounding points. Hope this helps.

Looks like your immobilizer is working from the video.

Quick Reply: Issues with AP1 Not Starting