S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Front Left Side Lower?

Old 11-27-2017, 04:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Left Side Lower?

I recently noticed my '04 S2000 has a lower front left side (measured from the end of the wheel to the fender), the difference is about 0.5-1 inch. Its on OEM springs and shocks. (Yes, the tyre pressures are correct and equal on all wheels).

A little back story: My S2000 was involved in a small-ish crash, which never actually hit the frame, but did hit the front left wheel, destroyed the headlamps, fender, bumper and the air pump. There was no apparent suspension damage, there appears to be no visible bent suspension components, except for the rubber spring seat, which is cracked, however I don't think this would account for 0.5 inches. The car was (and is) aligned twice after this.

My question is, would it be worth it to try and buy a new set of springs? My car only has 48,500km on the ODO (or 30,136 miles), the car is not daily driven, so it would sit for months at a time for a couple of years, but now its being used at least weekly.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:26 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

What are the compressed spring lengths? I doubt the left is an inch or even 1/2 inch shorter than the right. If you're real ambitious you can swap them (just the springs) side to side and see if anything changes as they're interchangeable. If there's an issue new OEM springs are less than $90 each and there are used on Ebay all the time.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 11-27-2017 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
What are the compressed spring lengths? I doubt the left is an inch or even 1/2 inch shorter than the right. If you're real ambitious you can swap them (just the springs) side to side and see if anything changes as they're interchangeable. If there's an issue new OEM springs are less than $90 each and there are used on Ebay all the time.

-- Chuck
I might try this during the week, I haven't measured the springs though. I also noticed my front anti roll bar's bushings seem to not be seated properly (I didn't check the other side), so I might look at that as well (although, this shouldn't as far as I know affect ride height).
Old 11-27-2017, 07:11 AM

Look at the bushings and the anti-roll bar itself. Find the problem. Don't just throw parts at it.

-- Chuck
Old 11-27-2017, 08:23 AM

I had a look underneath (I know my underside is filthy and I should probably clean it, the car has seen some nasty roads these last couple of months).

The bushings do look slightly out of place, but I noticed they didn't sit completely flush on either side.

Front Right

Front Left

As far as I can see, my anti roll bar looks fine.

Here are the springs:

Front left spring, with it's a well out of shape spring seat.

Front Right spring
Old 11-27-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I installed my coilovers, the front left were also lower than the other side (with the same thread length on the coilovers). I lowered the higher side using the motion ratio equation on the instructions but still the front left were lower. My guess is suspension bushings somewhere.
Replaced my anti roll bar down the line with new bushings and adjustable end links, and the heights didn't change.
Old 11-27-2017, 04:28 PM

Quick update -
I just ordered a new set of OEM springs, I also already had the rubber spring seats, which I was already going to change given their condition. I would guess my front left did suffer some damage, as indicated by the seats. I have searched madly for an explanation on the lower side, but the threads I found about it never posted any (positive) conclusions and most never said anything about replacing the springs, most said "this is within tolerances", so I might as well contribute with my findings within 1-2 weeks (I hope) when I can receive and change the parts.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:40 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

0.5 to 1" sounds like an eyeball spec measurement. That's a pretty big variance. Is this on level ground? Or parking spot?

I don't think the damper will physically allow the spring to compress to the point where it doesn't return to its original length. That wouldn't be a very good design.

Be interesting to know how the damper held up if the spring took enough of a shock load to crack the rubber seat (!!!).

Make sure you properly clock all the effected bushings when you install the new spring. Otherwise, you'll get a faulty height reading for about a week...until the bushings sag or tear.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
0.5 to 1" sounds like an eyeball spec measurement. That's a pretty big variance. Is this on level ground? Or parking spot?

I don't think the damper will physically allow the spring to compress to the point where it doesn't return to its original length. That wouldn't be a very good design.

Be interesting to know how the damper held up if the spring took enough of a shock load to crack the rubber seat (!!!).

Make sure you properly clock all the effected bushings when you install the new spring. Otherwise, you'll get a faulty height reading for about a week...until the bushings sag or tear.
I actually measured the height from the fender to the wheels, and the drop on the front left is exactly 0.5", as well as both from the bottom part of the bumper on the left side and the back bottom part of the fender to the ground. Oddly enough, at a glance, the dampers seem fine, doesn't seem to be leaking at least, but its to be expected the damper to be damaged as well, but if there is any, will need to remove the damper from the car. My child (my S2000) is grounded until the springs are here =(.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Curious of the outcome.

Quick Reply: Front Left Side Lower?