S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Newly resprayed car destroyed 1 week after :(

Old 12-13-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Newly resprayed car destroyed 1 week after :(

I just picked up my S2000 from the body shop after it got a full re-spray and the windshield replaced along with headlights re-finished. The car was in factory condition at this point. I had it aligned and even put on my new winter wheels with all seasons on them (DWS06). Unfortunately that did not end up being enough. I lost control of the car in cold weather. Ended up in a ditch. No air bags were deployed but I got pretty good whiplash from the impact. I'm are glad to be ok because that after all is the most important thing. I took it to the body shop I trust and they think that the initial estimate is $16000. The manager thinks there is uni body damage and advises against repair. I agree. I know the car can never be the same. I need advice on how to handle the claim.

I have never dealt with a total loss claim before. How do I make sure that insurance writes this car as a total loss. I am sure after the attempt repairs the hidden costs etc can raise this to easily over 20K. But I know insurance will not total this even if they can save $10. On the other hand getting fair compensation for this car is not easy. I have seen market values range between $16000-$25000. I have complete service records as well as the fact that the car was in 100% in excellent conditions (even now the panels that are not damaged are freshly waxed with zero imperfections). I have pictures etc. How do I prepare my case other than looking at Ap2 cars in similar conditions. Do I look at similar millage or closer year like 04-06? when building my case.

I know there was a recently thread with a car similar to mine that had a similar circumstances. If the OP is reading this please PM me, I'd like to get some info about how the process worked out for you.

Geico recently paid around $4000 for a comprehensive claim to get stone damage repaired from a few months ago. I paid the delta of $6000 to get the whole car resprayed instead of only the affected panels. How does that factor into this conversation.

I know my insurance is going up after this. I am up for review in March. Anyone know what a comp claim + collision worth 20K would do to my rates. Is 100% increase reasonable or do they go beyond that aswell. I do pay very little right now due to a perfect record ($350 for 2 cars for six months).
After:

I was like let me shop the name plates out, then I was like... duh!!!!

Last edited by kasher_khan; 12-26-2017 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Expect to have your insurance kick you out possibly after both claims. I don’t think this will have frame damage in my opinion so it will most likely be hard to have insurance total it out especially having no airbags go off. What body shop quoted 16000 to fix this? That’s absurd
Old 12-13-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by vasquezgno
Expect to have your insurance kick you out possibly after both claims. I don’t think this will have frame damage in my opinion so it will most likely be hard to have insurance total it out especially having no airbags go off. What body shop quoted 16000 to fix this? That’s absurd
I worry about that too. My wife who is added to my policy got her first speeding ticket (1st one in 4 years). So that doesn't help either. I don't have any tickets on my records in the last 5 years. What happens when you get dropped (I am guessing that happens at renewal time?). Do I apply for high risk insurance at another carrier etc. ? Does the amount of damage or payout have an impact? I have friends with Wreckless tickets that have caused accidents upto $20,000 in damages without having to worry about insurance dropping them?

The body shop rates reflect prices in nother va. for exmample, in other states i have seen people being quoted 2k for a full repaint. Here 5k is minimum.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:51 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Brace yourself for the fact that your insurance carrier is just going to drop you. Be prepared to shop around.

I am fully aware that the full extent of auo body damage can rarely be seen from a simple photo. But I'm just not seeing any way that car is totaled.

These cars are sturdy. They are built to handle an off track excursion, and be rebuildable with no lasting harm. That is essentially what this incident appears to be.

You may have to replace some suspension control arms. But as for uni-body frame damage? I'd be surprised if the subframe even shifted (it can be aligned by just loosening its mounting bolts, align, retighten).

It looks like simple body damage to me, that can be fixed, and car will still drive as before.

Don't worry, insurance won't total it just on the word of a body shop. They will do ther own inspection.

It sounds though like you are rooting for being totaled. Like you want to give up on this car because you feel it won't ever be that perfect, pristine, accident free shimmering diamond it was before.

If they won't total it, get it fixed, then decide if your emotions can handle driving it, and if not, sell it and buy the pristine car that will make you happy. Perhaps an '06+ with VSA.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:54 AM

Received 65 Likes on 57 Posts

Is there any dash cam footage? Just curious.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I doubt you'll get dropped for 1 ticket and 1 accident.

you'll be fine. Let the insurance company go through its process. You can't "make sure" they total it. Just sit back and let them handle it.

It doesn't look like there's much damage. But...I'm looking at photos; not the real thing. None of the panels look gapped...and it looks like you hit maybe some dirt. Unibody damage? The rear quarters? Who cares? I mean....its not a "collector car" anymore. But it looks like it'll drive and work fine.

What's strange to me is that you bought all season tyres for winter use? I guess that's not very relevant.

Good luck. Stop worrying. Its just a car. Worrying too much is probably what got you in this situation. No offense.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:21 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Unless you have some significant back history making you an higher risk for them, I doubt Geico will drop you even if they total the car out. I had Geico at the time of the loss of my first S2000 and my rates didn't go up that significantly.

From what I can see in the pictures provided, the only gaps that look wildly out of spec are the hood/fender gaps, but that is mostly due to the passenger fender being pushed up and in (probably caused the wider gap on the driver side too). It also looks like the lower radiator support was pushed up/back. Without seeing more detailed/larger photos of the car, I can't tell how bad it really is and even then it can be hard to say for certain without seeing the car in person. My first S2000 took a passenger hit from a light pickup at ~40 mph and only had slight distortion across the passenger cabin. Unless you hit something hard, I wouldn't be quick to calling it a total.

If it is indeed a total, then getting a fair price from Geico will entail you needing to provide them with examples of the car for sale in the area that are +/- 1 year of yours and in similar condition and mileage. They will most likely use the blue book value at first offer and that will be far less than the car is actually worth.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Guys, he just had a $4k claim on this car less than six months ago. Now another new $16k+ claim. Add to that recent wife speeding ticket.

I've seen ins drop people for a whole lot less.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:29 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Guys, he just had a $4k claim on this car less than six months ago. Now another new $16k+ claim. Add to that recent wife speeding ticket.

I've seen ins drop people for a whole lot less.
I've seen people kept as a customer with a whole lot more. The payout on my first S2000 was almost $20K.

The first claim was stone damage and the car loss of control was inclement weather (assuming that is what is meant by cold weather); the insurance company hasn't even made a decision regarding the car and there was no indication that they've sent a claims adjuster to look at it.

Sans any reckless behavior being suspected as the cause of the loss of control, I don't think they'll drop him. Can any of us say with absolute certainty that it will go either way? No, but I would say the odds lean towards them not dropping him.

Last edited by Fokker; 12-13-2017 at 10:31 AM.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:30 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are in calif your rates will go up 50% for that car and the same for your wife, i assume there was no bodily injury from your accident.
They may drop you in which case you are paying more for about 3 years then you can come back, again if you are in calif, that's general information, I am a broker.

Quick Reply: Newly resprayed car destroyed 1 week after :(