S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

High Blood Pressure?

Old 12-20-2017, 10:06 PM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts
Default High Blood Pressure?

What's your story? I'm new to this and ironing out my denial/first medication/next medication.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:09 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

For years I had what's called white-coat HBP, that is mine was normal except when visiting the doc or something like that. Then it would shoot up a lot. I happened to visit the ER last May for another reason (feeling faint but did not faint) and it was up there, so the ER doc said even if he did not find anything else wrong (he didn't), maybe I should go on a low dose (5 mg a day) of BP med. I did and it has worked very well even at the doc appts. I do not take any other meds and do not like taking meds at all, but this has helped so I'm good with it.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:12 AM

Received 2,966 Likes on 1,651 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
For years I had what's called white-coat HBP, that is mine was normal except when visiting the doc or something like that. Then it would shoot up a lot. I happened to visit the ER last May for another reason (feeling faint but did not faint) and it was up there, so the ER doc said even if he did not find anything else wrong (he didn't), maybe I should go on a low dose (5 mg a day) of BP med. I did and it has worked very well even at the doc appts. I do not take any other meds and do not like taking meds at all, but this has helped so I'm good with it.
I was on 10 and then 5 mg, but felt so shitty I quit 5 days ago. I'm waiting to see what's prescribed next. Lisinopril is out. What do you take, Deb?
Old 12-21-2017, 04:29 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

High blood pressure is called the silent killer and is not to be messed with. I firmly believe this. Most times a blood pressure medicine can be found to control blood pressure with no undesirable side affects. Recently, they have changed the numbers/guidelines so that more folks may end up in the "high blood pressure" category. My blood pressure would run high at various times, (like Deb's) and back then one of the arguments for medication was "if you blood pressure spikes here under pressure, it may spike often elsewhere." BUT you don't want to get into a situation where your blood pressure ends up too low either. I saw enough high readings in the doc's office that were not acceptable to me, even if it would have been classified as white coat syndrome.. There is a strong history of strokes on my mother's side, and that is somewhere I did not wish to go. Write a prescription, please. I believe all of my siblings are on blood pressure medication, a few did not start until they were 60 or somewhere there about, while others started younger.

I've been on a beta blocker. Not sure why that one was prescribed as the first one, and don't remember why I came off it. Then one with a diuretic,could not stand the frequent bathroom trips in the AM. For the last several years I've been on the Lisinopril. I started at 10 mg and was on that for quite a while. Down the line I was a little lightheaded and with the nurse prac's permission, cut it down to 5 mg and have done fine on that.

How long of a try did you give the meds, Patricia? When you say you felt shi$$y, what were you experiencing? 5 mg is VERY low dose, you could try it again until you can see a doc.

PS Many people, including Rick, need more than one medication to get the BP under control, sometimes the medication(s) have to be taken twice daily. Home BP monitors are quite inexpensive. Pick one up and monitor your BP at home to see how you are doing, be it with or without meds.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:31 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Patty, do you have your own BP monitor? They are fairly inexpensive. You can use it to identify circumstances that increase and lower your BP. Barbara is an on again off again BP pill taker.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:07 AM

Received 2,585 Likes on 1,566 Posts

I've used the Omron BP machine for quite some time to monitor my BP. It's a very good one. I take my BP now with the averaging of 3 at one time (called TruRead Mode). My average has been about 115/71. I've had no side effects to speak of, or at least none I could really tell. The one I take is Amlodipine Besylate.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky
I've used the Omron BP machine for quite some time to monitor my BP. It's a very good one. I take my BP now with the averaging of 3 at one time (called TruRead Mode). My average has been about 115/71. I've had no side effects to speak of, or at least none I could really tell. The one I take is Amlodipine Besylate.
I take that one as well, and have for many years, also with no side effects.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:50 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

^
That is one of the ones Rick takes too. Brand name is Norvasc
Old 12-21-2017, 07:21 AM

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,513 Posts

The late wife had “White Coat HBP”. He BP would sky rocket at each appointment. Last week prior to my foot surgery my BP was very high. The nurse was concerned but the doctor said ‘you are laying here with just a hospital gown, you are hooked to monitors, you have an IV in your hand and in a few minutes I’m going to cut you foot open. Hell your BP should be high’. It was normal afterwards.

I use the following to monitor my BP. My cardiologist requested that I keep track and possibly chart my BP. This one does it all for me.

https://www.getqardio.com/qardioarm-...t=Qardio%20Arm
Old 12-21-2017, 07:27 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I was on 10 and then 5 mg, but felt so shitty I quit 5 days ago. I'm waiting to see what's prescribed next. Lisinopril is out. What do you take, Deb?
Why is Lisinopril out, Patty? I take it. Also Coreg, which is a Beta Blocker.

Quick Reply: High Blood Pressure?