Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Naias 2018

Old 01-15-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Naias 2018

Anything good at the show? Anyone there? The previews done by Jalopnik and others looks super underwhelming.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:21 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Mustang Bullitt edition looks pretty cool.

Ford saying they might use the "Mach 1" name for a crossover SUV EV, however, is not cool. Stupid really.
The following users liked this post:
cbehney (01-22-2018)
Old 01-15-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The new RDX looks pretty good to me. Very CX-5sh but a step above IMHO
Old 01-15-2018, 02:47 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Hakkaboy
The new RDX looks pretty good to me. Very CX-5sh but a step above IMHO
+1 Great redesign. Better looking on the outside and much, much nicer inside (real wood, real metal on anything that looks metal, apparently). I still prefer the V6 over the 2.0T, for simplicity, but the 2.0T is supposed to be "most powerful in class" and, with AWD to put the power down, they should only be limited by the transmission, not by the tires, in terms of how much torque they can put out.
Old 01-15-2018, 02:48 PM

I think the new Ram looks pretty sharp. I actually like the new Silverado as well, mainly on the outside (the inside is a little "meh" to me). Lots of good-looking trucks these days.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:34 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

I'll be going on Saturday- been going every year since 1999. One of the benefits of living an hour north of Cobo Hall.

Its usually a massive crowd on Saturdays- we stay at the Book, enjoy a leisurely lunch, head on over and browse about for 4-5 hours. Then go drink beer.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new Jeep Wrangler, Vette, maybe some new Honda product, new Mustang. I've given up on Audi and BMW. I could care less about trucks (except the FWD Ridgeline) and the SUV's- big, heavy, hard to park, hard on fuel. Unless you're hauling a race car, horses, loads of manure or dirt, live on a farm, who else really needs them. If I owned one, I'd be a complete menace. Hell, for the same money, I could own many other more interesting cars.

NAIAS is good fun all in all.
darcy
Old 01-16-2018, 07:17 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
+1 Great redesign. Better looking on the outside and much, much nicer inside (real wood, real metal on anything that looks metal, apparently). I still prefer the V6 over the 2.0T, for simplicity, but the 2.0T is supposed to be "most powerful in class" and, with AWD to put the power down, they should only be limited by the transmission, not by the tires, in terms of how much torque they can put out.
Isn't Acura debuting a new twin turbo V6 for the RDX?
Old 01-16-2018, 08:09 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
They announced they're making the engine, but didn't confirm a V6 for the RDX. But the TT V6 and the confirmation that they're bringing back Type S trims (and A-Spec on all models) is a great sign! I think the RDX looks good and is probably my dad's next car. I'm thinking it will be a much better value than X3/Q5/GLC/RX/QX/WTFBBQ.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
A turbo V6, yes. Not sure if it'll hit the RDX but they say they want an A-Spec for each model and select models will get Type S variants.

Originally Posted by white98ls
They announced they're making the engine, but didn't confirm a V6 for the RDX. But the TT V6 and the confirmation that they're bringing back Type S trims (and A-Spec on all models) is a great sign! I think the RDX looks good and is probably my dad's next car. I'm thinking it will be a much better value than X3/Q5/GLC/RX/QX/WTFBBQ.
I heard it was a single turbo, not twin turbo. They may be use the eSH-AWD system with electric motor(s) to give torque fill in the bottom rpm so that they can run a bigger turbo and give some extra top-end power.

Honda hasn't specified what they're going to do, based on what I've read. My sources may be wrong.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:33 PM

As a follow-up to why I think it might be single turbo and use electric motors to boost torque, Honda traditionally does a transverse layout on their engines in their standard vehicles (NSX even had a transverse layout, initially!). That would necessitate a single turbo layout as you can't tuck a turbo in next to the firewall. They might go F1-esque on us and separate the compressor on one end and the turbine on the other, for instance, which allows for better heat management, tighter packaging, etc. It does make turbo upsizing tougher, though.

Also, they state that the V6T only comes with SH-AWD or eSH-AWD, which indicates that they could use electric motor(s) for torque supplementation at lower rpms.

Furthermore, they state that there are no exterior accessory belts, meaning 48V system to drive all critical systems in the car...which, again, points to potential electric motors for torque improvement. Mercedes new inline-6 engine architecture uses a similar idea (AWD only and 48V system, with sub-systems wired for and metered down to 12V as required).

Quick Reply: Naias 2018