S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Fuse Tap - Under Dash - what to use for Constant power ?

Old 01-22-2018, 06:08 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fuse Tap - Under Dash - what to use for Constant power ?

I am trying to install a Blackvue camera w a magic pro box (I want to use parking mode). I am trying to use fuse taps to tap into the 9 (accessory power) for accessory wire. I want to use the 23 (brake lights) for constant power\battery wire. However the fuse taps are too big and won't fit right next to each other (since 9 and 23 are in the same row).

Can anyone help me figure out from the fuse diagram below, what other fuse besides 23 can I use for constant on power source?

NOTE: The magic pro would only work with 12V setting and not 12.5V (minimum volt jumper). Is 12V for S2000 stock batter (brand new) the right setting. It won't turn on with 12.5V.

Old 01-22-2018, 07:04 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Check out this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-el...use-box-97374/

You do not need to tap a fuse. There are spade terminals in the fuse box that will provide BATT, IGN, and Lights power.
Old 01-22-2018, 07:51 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

What's the amperage draw of the camera? Constant draw can deplete your battery in just a few days.

-- Chuck
Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 AM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by kasher_khan
I am trying to install a Blackvue camera w a magic pro box (I want to use parking mode). I am trying to use fuse taps to tap into the 9 (accessory power) for accessory wire. I want to use the 23 (brake lights) for constant power\battery wire. However the fuse taps are too big and won't fit right next to each other (since 9 and 23 are in the same row).

Can anyone help me figure out from the fuse diagram below, what other fuse besides 23 can I use for constant on power source?

NOTE: The magic pro would only work with 12V setting and not 12.5V (minimum volt jumper). Is 12V for S2000 stock batter (brand new) the right setting. It won't turn on with 12.5V.
I have this on my car now, i'll look under the dash to see which i tapped into.

Originally Posted by Chuck S
What's the amperage draw of the camera? Constant draw can deplete your battery in just a few days.

-- Chuck
The magic pro actually has a few voltage options so once it dips below the voltage chosen (think 11.2v is lowest), it'll shut off the camera.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by jwzimm
Check out this thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-el...use-box-97374/

You do not need to tap a fuse. There are spade terminals in the fuse box that will provide BATT, IGN, and Lights power.
I have considered doing it that way. I don't have a spade connector (I guess I could get one). Also doesn't the other way sound better (I could put a spare fuse in there to protect the circuit.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
The magic pro is desined to cut off the power before draining the battery (any less than 12V)
Old 01-22-2018, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by licelsior
I have this on my car now, i'll look under the dash to see which i tapped into.

The magic pro actually has a few voltage options so once it dips below the voltage chosen (think 11.2v is lowest), it'll shut off the camera.
Yeah if you don't mind. Thats exactly what I am trying to find out i.e what fuses your are tapping into for accerory and battery (constant). again I want to use 9 23 but can't chose both together.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:29 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by kasher_khan
I have considered doing it that way. I don't have a spade connector (I guess I could get one). Also doesn't the other way sound better (I could put a spare fuse in there to protect the circuit.
By tapping an existing fuse you are scabbing on a circuit for another accessory. Those terminals are there specifically for this type of situation (adding an additional accessory). To protect the wire you should include an in-line fuse as well.

A spade terminal is a pretty simple thing and easy to obtain. You would just crimp that onto the wire and then plug it into the fusebox terminal. You also mentioned you were having issues with the add-a-fuse not fitting or running into things. This method would not have that problem.

Either way should work though.

As for the trigger voltage, you should see at least 12 Volts from the battery when the car is off. If you are seeing less it is likely due to a wiring issue. That is another reason to use the spade terminal. The wiring for the fuse you tap may not been large enough gauge to prevent voltage drop.
The following users liked this post:
kasher_khan (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 03:25 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

Shutting the device down at low voltage isn't gonna help the battery. The quoted 11.2v (above) is like 5% charged and unlikely to start the car.

-- Chuck
Old 01-22-2018, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by jwzimm
By tapping an existing fuse you are scabbing on a circuit for another accessory. Those terminals are there specifically for this type of situation (adding an additional accessory). To protect the wire you should include an in-line fuse as well.

A spade terminal is a pretty simple thing and easy to obtain. You would just crimp that onto the wire and then plug it into the fusebox terminal. You also mentioned you were having issues with the add-a-fuse not fitting or running into things. This method would not have that problem.

Either way should work though.

As for the trigger voltage, you should see at least 12 Volts from the battery when the car is off. If you are seeing less it is likely due to a wiring issue. That is another reason to use the spade terminal. The wiring for the fuse you tap may not been large enough gauge to prevent voltage drop.
You have me convinced. I'll do it your way. I guess I ordered the fuse taps so I was trying to use them. I'll pick up some space connectors.