S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Vortech Blower Service/Rebuild Necessary?

Old 01-25-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Vortech Blower Service/Rebuild Necessary?

Hey guys

Anyone ever had their Vortech units sent in for servicing or rebuilding after hearing the "rocks in a can" noise at idle? Mine makes that sound but it runs fine so I was wondering if it needs to be serviced or not? I read this on Vortech's site: https://928motorsports.com/services/vortech_rebuild.php

And the valve cover vent was venting into the blower's impeller then into the after cooler for a long time as per standard installation so, would spraying carb cleaner in the after cooler help remove most of the muck that may have collected inside? I vented the valve cover to atmosphere with a little breather in an attempt to alleviate this issue.

Thanks.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't serviced mine yet, but it does make like a surging noise at idle. It doesn't sound 100% smooth but its done it since forever so I'm having a hard time saying its already to "blender full of marbles" or if its still "thats just how they sound" these blowers aren't exactly confidence inspiring when it comes to noises haha
Old 02-22-2018, 10:59 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

They all make coffee grinder noise at idle, they are noisy and its perfectly normal.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Cirq
I haven't serviced mine yet, but it does make like a surging noise at idle. It doesn't sound 100% smooth but its done it since forever so I'm having a hard time saying its already to "blender full of marbles" or if its still "thats just how they sound" these blowers aren't exactly confidence inspiring when it comes to noises haha
Yeah I know what you mean! Makes you worry lol. A mechanic told me that my blower's pulley shaft doesn't exhibit any play which means its all good. He used a friend's one as an example saying that his blower shaft had a lot of play and had to be rebuilt. Apparently that one was working really hard a with a 3.8 or smaller pulley...
Old 02-22-2018, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
They all make coffee grinder noise at idle, they are noisy and its perfectly normal.
Yet another description of the sound. I quite like this one "coffee grinder" haha. I'm glad to know that's perfectly normal then. This would actually save me approximately $400 in servicing/rebuild that can be used elsewhere.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:04 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Yet another description of the sound. I quite like this one "coffee grinder" haha. I'm glad to know that's perfectly normal then. This would actually save me approximately $400 in servicing/rebuild that can be used elsewhere.
Yeah just about everyone freaks out when they first here it. It does sound a bit alarming to the un hip. You know when you need a rebuild by leaking seals/getting oil into the volute spitting into your TB, and or high pitch squealing/chirping sound that doesn't go away when you take some tension off the belt. Be careful not to over tighten the belt as it can prematurely wear your blower bearings. Should be able to twist the belt a minimum of 90 degree with your two fingers as a general target. Get a good belt with some belt dressing and shouldn't have a slipping problem with proper tension until you start getting down in the small -3" /3.2" sizes where hopefully by then you are experienced enough to gauge the tension properly as it gets pretty finite by then.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-22-2018 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 02:36 AM

Yeah just about everyone freaks out when they first here it. It does sound a bit alarming to the un hip. You know when you need a rebuild by leaking seals/getting oil into the volute spitting into your TB, and or high pitch squealing/chirping sound that doesn't go away when you take some tension off the belt. Be careful not to over tighten the belt as it can prematurely wear your blower bearings. Should be able to twist the belt a minimum of 90 degree with your two fingers as a general target. Get a good belt with some belt dressing and shouldn't have a slipping problem with proper tension until you start getting down in the small -3" /3.2" sizes where hopefully by then you are experienced enough to gauge the tension properly as it gets pretty finite by then.
Good tips. So basically you will really know your blower is in the red zone when it is. The signs don't seem to be ambiguous lol.
What belts do you prefer/recommend? I don't see myself running a smaller than 4" pulley TBH.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:35 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Good tips. So basically you will really know your blower is in the red zone when it is. The signs don't seem to be ambiguous lol.
What belts do you prefer/recommend? I don't see myself running a smaller than 4" pulley TBH.
Gates seems to make the best belts. Apparently they have just come out with a specific supercharger belt, probably to accommodate a lot of the new American cars that are coming out with superchargers these days. But I forgot what the name of it is. Id look up the gates website and order one of those.
Old 02-23-2018, 09:46 AM

Gates seems to make the best belts. Apparently they have just come out with a specific supercharger belt, probably to accommodate a lot of the new American cars that are coming out with superchargers these days. But I forgot what the name of it is. Id look up the gates website and order one of those.
Will do. Gates is what I'm after as well. I heard they make blue belts which mean business with a focus on high HP handling.