S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

4th to 5th mis shift

Old 02-24-2018, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th to 5th mis shift

Hey everyone, so tonight me and the wife are coming down the freeway and decided to play a little bit. Hit it from about 65mph and went 3rd-4th and 4th-5th but actually missed 5th and hit the rev limiter. I did NOT go to 3rd luckily because we were doing over 100mph (stupid I know but no one was around) So the question is was that a mechanical over rev? I'm about positive it was not but wanted to ask...car still runs fine and pulls strong as well as no noise or anything like that.
AP2 retainers are going in next weekend anyways, thanks for the advice.

Last edited by Adam Egebrecht; 02-24-2018 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is not a mechanical over rev. Shifting it into 3rd and releasing the clutch pedal would've been.

Bouncing off the factory rev-limiter won't damage the engine catastrophically provided that the oil level is good.
The following users liked this post:
HawkeyeGeoff (02-27-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 06:06 PM

That's what I thought, and oil was full and fresh so no worries there. I'd assume I would have known if I went to 3rd at 110mph lol! Just glad I didn't and it was in between the gates. I never miss a shift though so it hurt my pride.
Old 02-24-2018, 10:15 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

So if you never went to 3rd, it was basically just reving it out in nuetral. That means it doesn't matter how fast the car was traveling. It would be the same as flooring it in nuetral at a stop. Rev limiter would prevent over rev.

Re limiters cut ignition or fuel. So engine stops producing power, stops going any faster.

A mechanical overrev is when you shift into too low a gear, a gear where the engine would have to be spinning well past redline for that gear and that car speed. So the cars momentum forces the engine past redline. Valve float can occur, and pistons can smack valve. Not good.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:17 AM

Thanks for the advice everyone, I did a mechanical over rev on my B16 Si about 15 yrs ago doing the same thing but I actually went back to 2nd from 4th. Immediately I knew a screwed up, car was mis firing and making a horrible knock...so I figured if I had gone to 3rd from 4th last night I'd have the same symptoms. Took the car back out this A.M and still all good.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:56 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

If you can't shift you may want to avoid doing double the speed limit on a public road.

Actually generally avoid doing that anyway.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
If you can't shift you may want to avoid doing double the speed limit on a public road.

Actually generally avoid doing that anyway.
Really? I can shift... I use to do alot of drag racing back in the day at the dragstrip and compete in events. EVERYONE at some point in time has mis shifted in their life I don't care how good you are! And yes it was stupid to be going that fast on a public road, once again we all do it...but don't come on here and say I can't shift. I'm sure you've mis shifted a few times in your life as well...have a good day.
Old 02-25-2018, 12:00 PM

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Egebrecht
Really? I can shift... I use to do alot of drag racing back in the day at the dragstrip and compete in events. EVERYONE at some point in time has mis shifted in their life I don't care how good you are! And yes it was stupid to be going that fast on a public road, once again we all do it...but don't come on here and say I can't shift. I'm sure you've mis shifted a few times in your life as well...have a good day.
"And yes it was stupid to be going that fast on a public road, once again we all do it..."

Yes, it was stupid and no, we do not all do it!
Old 02-25-2018, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by DesertWanderer
"And yes it was stupid to be going that fast on a public road, once again we all do it..."

Yes, it was stupid and no, we do not all do it!
OMG I ask a simple question and I'm being bashed for missing 5th and going fast on an empty highway...unreal.
Old 02-25-2018, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are two groups, those that admit it and those that do but say they don't.

Quick Reply: 4th to 5th mis shift