S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Worst and best cars according to edmunds.

Old 03-12-2018, 01:54 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Worst and best cars according to edmunds.

I cannot say I agree entirely with either classification, but it's edmunds so enjoy their take on the good and the bad.

Worst:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...-all-time.html
​​​​​​​
Best:
https://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/...-all-time.html
Old 03-12-2018, 04:00 PM

Received 4,944 Likes on 2,998 Posts

Doing the worst first, I totally agreed with their first one – Solstice. If they were trying to catch the S2000 boy did they fail. And from there I agreed with so many, like the fat 280ZX or that the 1953 Corvette was crap! That the Fiero was a great idea gone cheap. And the TR-7 wedge junk or the 914 never being a real Porsche. And my old Stag made the list “a poster child for British Leyland ineptitude”. Yah, man. While I pretty much agree with all of them, I give the AMC Pacer credit for trying something totally new in design. No one can argue about the Aztek being no. 1 or the Mustang II being no. 2. My dad had the latter.

Doing the best next, I wouldn’t have the Hummer on my list but I didn’t serve in Baghdad. Lots of cars on that list I’d like in my garage – E type, 240Z, ’90 MX5, ’90 NSX, 917, GT-R, and even a couple that I had at one time. I loved their no. 1 and no. 2 selection. Those were definitely two long-term game changers!

Thanks for sharing, even if its dated.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:55 AM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

There are two cars on the "Worst" list that I've driven on the track and found them to be quite competent, even great fun, to drive. The Pinto and especially the 914 were about as nimble as you could get in their day. The Pinto was a great surprise to me. I first drove the Pinto at Lime Rock and then in NH at the old Bryar Motorsports Park and it did exceed my expectations at both.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:59 AM

I've seen Pinto's go very well at Waterford Hills.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:10 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Any car has so many attributes to evaluate that the whole best/worst thing is bogus.

It depends on which of the many attributes you consider and rank.

It's like the Best City to live in. I stopped looking at those when Pittsburgh won. I know the Iron City a little bit and it's a fine town with great people, but number 1?
Old 03-20-2018, 09:55 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hecash
There are two cars on the "Worst" list that I've driven on the track and found them to be quite competent, even great fun, to drive. The Pinto and especially the 914 were about as nimble as you could get in their day. The Pinto was a great surprise to me. I first drove the Pinto at Lime Rock and then in NH at the old Bryar Motorsports Park and it did exceed my expectations at both.
Same here. I owned both and found them both to be excellent at what they were designed for. My first Pinto was a 1600 and it went just fine. I can't imagine what difference it makes if the 914 was not accepted by Porschephiles. It was a great car with great balance. I owned a fuel injected 2 litre and it was plenty fast as well as nimble.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:42 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

Totally agree on the number 1 worst

i had a few friends with pintos. 2 spent most times bumming rides cause the pinto was broken, but they were pretty well used at that point. The third was an all black wagon (like a mini hearse) had a heavilly built 302 and got 4mpg.... so not a great comparison but that one was fun.

Had to drive a 67 Corvair for a while. Kinda neat but the crap cooling fan and pulley layout meant breaking belts a lot, the heat always developed plenum leaks and pumped engine bay fumes into it and other random items liked to fail without notice. Granted, this was a 26 year old car then, but was well maintained with 47,000 original miles. The cool wore off fast

Old 03-20-2018, 12:20 PM

Received 2,591 Likes on 1,568 Posts

My dad had a Pinto and gave it to me to drive at college. I kept it a few years - don't remember any problems with it.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Owned two Pintos and was even hit from behind twice (once $1500 damage the other $500) no fire :-) But my best memory of the Pinto was a guy pulling up beside me at a stop light in a 6 cyl Firebird and declaring his F***ing lawn mower was faster than my rough idling Pinto. At the next light he stopped back from me in the other lane and I backed up and asked him what kind of lawn mower he owned “A push mower”?. His girl friend was in hysterics. The lumpy idle was due to the cam and headers :-)

Also had a few others or drove them from the best 100 a lot like the Evo,914, RSX, CRX and of course our Miata cousin the Fiata
Old 03-20-2018, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by MsPerky
My dad had a Pinto and gave it to me to drive at college. I kept it a few years - don't remember any problems with it.
The safety of the design of the Pinto's fuel system led to critical incidents and subsequently resulted in a recall, lawsuits, a criminal prosecution, and public controversy. Other than that, I can't think of many.

Quick Reply: Worst and best cars according to edmunds.