S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

New Accord not selling well

Old 03-12-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts
Default New Accord not selling well

The Honda Accord Is Great, but It's Not Selling - The Drive
Old 03-12-2018, 03:26 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

It appears that two things are relevant:
1. As the article states, people are going back to SUVs.
2. As I found in another article, the lease rates are a bit of a sticky wicket, as they're a bit higher than previous.

If I had to go down to one car though, this makes it a lot more interesting.
The following users liked this post:
96accord (03-13-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 06:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you think that losing the coupe has anything to do with it? As I am curious it seems to be a very nice car?
Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 PM

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,105 Posts

The new Civic is so good that the Accord finally has some real competition. Honda owners are very loyal to the brand, and an awful lot of them have discovered how very good the Civic is. Maybe thats why.

Still I wouldn't worry. The Accord is a very good car and it will sell.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:42 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

SUVs of all type and variety own the market. The manufacturers make the most profit on this segment so they are all for it and more than happy to invest in its "development" and to market the hell out of them. Then come the near luxury and luxury brands which are pretty much selling the same car as the working-man's brand, just tarted up a bit and overpriced for what you get. On top of all that, the other manufacturers have pretty well caught up with Honda and Toyota on things like economy and reliability. If they are still "behind" it isn't by enough to make a big difference, especially if the Honda looks like a lozenge and the competition has a bit of styling to set it apart as well as a lower price. Finally, Toyota has been kicking the crap out of Honda in their ads, claiming that Honda charges more for a car with less features than the Toyota alternative. I think this pricing and marketing strategy is working well for Toyota.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:48 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Oneloveknk
Do you think that losing the coupe has anything to do with it? As I am curious it seems to be a very nice car?
"Anything?" Sure. 10 thousand sales. Maybe a bit more. A tiny fraction of the total. Not worth the cost to tool for them. Especially when you realize that some percentage of those coupe buyers will now buy a four door Accord since that is all that's available. Honda designed the sedan to look like a coupe.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:27 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
"Anything?" Sure. 10 thousand sales. Maybe a bit more. A tiny fraction of the total. Not worth the cost to tool for them. Especially when you realize that some percentage of those coupe buyers will now buy a four door Accord since that is all that's available. Honda designed the sedan to look like a coupe.
Good morning Legal Bill, wow didn’t even realize that the coupe had such a low percentage of buyers. Seems like most of the cars today are starting to resemble four door hatch backs (station wagons) I guess everything comes in cycles? Just wish that the three door hatchback would come back? But at this rate if they are doing away with coupes my cry’s will fall on deaf ears?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:31 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

The midsize car segment is dead. The mindless herd all believe they need an SUV. The manufacturers are happy to oblige. Buyers these days are more concerned with how quick their phones connect, than how their vehicle drives. Oh, I can lock my car with my phone, I'll take it! What a bunch of crap.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:02 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper
The new Civic is so good that the Accord finally has some real competition. Honda owners are very loyal to the brand, and an awful lot of them have discovered how very good the Civic is. Maybe thats why.

Still I wouldn't worry. The Accord is a very good car and it will sell.
with Rob.
And the Civic,is still available,as a Coupe,with 1.5 turbo,and 6 speed manual tranny.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:11 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire

with Rob.
And the Civic,is still available,as a Coupe,with 1.5 turbo,and 6 speed manual tranny.
Ditto here

Quick Reply: New Accord not selling well