S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Possible seat theft deterrent

Old 03-22-2018, 11:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible seat theft deterrent

While working on my car I pulled the seats and saw through to the floor after removing the (10x20) bolt to the rear and inside of the seat frame. So I crawled under the car and found the area. Only one of the four bolts holding the seat in is visible. Went to the local hardware store and purchased a 10.9 (10x25) bolt, washer and nut. The intent was to use the nut as a “lock” nut. I think a (10x30) bolt might be better because you are unable to get full threads on the shorter bolt.

bolt, washer and nut

Factory seat nut

Installed locknut
Old 03-22-2018, 01:56 PM

Received 1,310 Likes on 990 Posts

Seems like a clever, and reasonable solution!

It may have an unintended advantage. I imagine smetimes a thief might get pissed at finding theft deterrent bolts, and do something like slash your seats as retribution. But with this solution it just seems like a rusted frozen bolt, so maybe they don't realize its a theft deterrent.

Except! That one bolt is all shiney and new, and different style than the rest. A clever thief might instantly realize what you did, and thwart your efforts. If you could find an oem bolt from some other part of the car, that was long enough for this trick, it might look the part enough to not be a giveaway.
Old 03-22-2018, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible seat theft deterrent

OK! now on the hunt for a couple of black bolts.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:09 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Just grab that rattle can of black paint on the shelf in your garage.

-- Chuck
Old 03-23-2018, 07:26 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by gombey43
OK! now on the hunt for a couple of black bolts.
McMaster Carr should carry black phosphated JIS flange bolts in your desired size.

JIS is nice because it keeps the Japanese head sizing that all your other bolts have.
Old 03-23-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by B serious
McMaster Carr should carry black phosphated JIS flange bolts in your desired size.

JIS is nice because it keeps the Japanese head sizing that all your other bolts have.
Solved!

If anyone orders one and finds the ideal length, please post link to bolt & jamb nut to order.
Old 03-23-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
Seems like a clever, and reasonable solution!

It may have an unintended advantage. I imagine smetimes a thief might get pissed at finding theft deterrent bolts, and do something like slash your seats as retribution.....
I absolutely don't care if I hurt some scumbag thiefs feelings. Back in '10 when I bought my wife her S, one of the first things I did was change out three of the four bolts that hold the seat in. It takes a socket to remove one bolt(stock bolt), one allen wrench for one(grade 8 button head) and a larger allen wrench to remove the two back allen head bolts. I don't care if they slash my seats or even cut my top, that's why I have insurance. But if they get my seats then they could try and total the car.

ROD
Old 03-23-2018, 12:09 PM

How much of the outrageous seat replacement cost is the seat frames vs the covers and foams? Can a car still get ins totaled for just slashed seats?
Old 03-23-2018, 12:34 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

How are they going to get to the seat frames if they can't get the bolts out? Do you think a thief is going to stick around and try to rip out the seats by hand or crowbar making all kings of noise? I can get my seats covered for under $600 a seat. In fack, I'm going to get my seats covered in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Going to have them cut out around 1" of foam out of the seat bottom and put 1 1/2" of memory foam in it's place with the center of the seat bottom and seat back cloth so it will be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. These seats get hot when it's 90F or more outside and we can get temps that high in 8 or more months where we drive.

ROD
Old 03-23-2018, 12:37 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by rrounds
How are they going to get to the seat frames if they can't get the bolts out? Do you think a thief is going to stick around and try to rip out the seats by hand or crowbar making all kings of noise? I can get my seats covered for under $600 a seat. In fack, I'm going to get my seats covered in the next 2 or 3 weeks. Going to have them cut out around 1" of foam out of the seat bottom and put 1 1/2" of memory foam in it's place with the center of the seat bottom and seat back will be cloth so it will be warmer in the winter and cooler in the summer. These seats get hot when it's 90F or more outside and we can get temps that high in 8 or more months where we drive.

ROD
Post pics.

Quick Reply: Possible seat theft deterrent