UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Buying a 2008 S2K

Old 03-22-2018, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a 2008 S2K

Good Evening Gentlemen,
I am thinking about purchasing S2K, I am based in UK.
In fact I am going to have a look at one this Saturday.
It is 2008 with 100000miles on the clock for £10000. Car is from Trade Seller and apparently he is going to give 12 month warranty on the car.
I did quite a good check on the website regarding what should I look for both exterior as well as interior and during test drive...
I checked other models around this year and found that this price is quite competitive.
Any chance you could give me some pointers for the visit and purchase in general ? Please be informed that I am cold calculating person and in general am planning everything and don't make decision on the spot when it comes to a purchase.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Bart
Old 03-22-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't want to be the boring twat who saysread the FAQ's but that really is the best thing to do. I read it through about six times before I bought one, and I had a head start as I used to sell them new so already had a fair bit of knowledge on them. The basics are no different to buying any car.

post a link to the advert is always a good idea. Other people may notice things that you have not...

Good luck....
The following users liked this post:
darthfeal (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:31 PM

Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by darthfeal
I am cold calculating person and in general am planning everything and don't make decision on the spot when it comes to a purchase.
Your help is greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Bart
lol You'll be alright! I'm just like you and was ready to walk at a moments notice.
Check everything out just like a regular used car. Look for rust spots signs of dampness or sitting water in the trunk, floor boards. Look under the car when assessing the car for rust. This will tell how the car was stored and cared for. Look for bent panels and uneven paint colors, they indicate repaired damage. Start it up, listen for odd noises, look for leaks under where it normally parks.
remember: The guy is lying! Everything is suspect and nothing is as it seems. Check and double check
Good luck
darthfeal (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:42 PM

Thank you very much, I do appreciate it.

@tozerman,

yes I know, I read a lot, watched good videos on you tube and I think I am prepared but just wanted a quick input from the community experts/owners.

@Langelo DeMysterioso,

thanks for your tips, I do always assume that a guy who is trying to sell me a car is a lying cheeky bastard that want's all my money and will sweeten the deal as much as he can...
Old 03-22-2018, 10:10 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Also be realistic - 2008 / 100k miles ... it's not going to be like a new car.

If you want one that's like a new car then it will need to be < 30k miles for that age and well taken care of, those cars are not £10K.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Is it this one??
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...had=New&page=1

Looks very cheap compared with others advertised
Old 03-22-2018, 11:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Richie2garage
Is it this one??
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...had=New&page=1

Looks very cheap compared with others advertised
I was looking at that one before I picked up my MR '08, and didn't go for it. I'm now trying to remember why I didn't. MOT history looks fine, and it has VSA which was one of my criteria. It has definitely been listed at less than £10k, I seem to recall £9,600 or £9,700 or somesuch.
darthfeal (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 01:09 AM

The passenger air bag cover is very shiny to the rest of the dash.. possibly replaced.. possibly CAT.. just a thought
Old 03-23-2018, 01:14 AM

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

In fact the whole interior looks shiny, how many gallons of silicone did they spray in there !
Old 03-23-2018, 01:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Id question that airbag. Does not look right. Maybe just because they covered it in so much crap...not sure....
Also, as you would be aware from the FAQ, have wheel alignment bolts checked. If they are a garage, get alignment done, but even if in spec, adjust, just to make sure they are not seized. A mate's S2000 has a few bolts in OEM spec, but are seized. Not a big issue, but can be if you ever need to replace bushes or want different geometry.

Good Luck.
darthfeal (03-23-2018)

Quick Reply: Buying a 2008 S2K