S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Clutch issue at low rpm’s - High rpms mask issue

Old 04-04-2018, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch issue at low rpm’s - Vid updated

15th year having the car and noticed an issue today ive never experienced. While I was stopped at a light, I engaged the cutch and it felt very notchy and a bit harder than usual to press down. Midway through the clutch engagement, you felt the notch/bump( like resistance pushing down.) The car still engages and let’s me shift but when releasing the clutch, seems to stick a bit, but not much. I was able to drive it back home and on the highway, on higher rpm’s, noticed the issue disappear. I would say shifting over 5k seemed to mask the problem. Fluid was full but switched it out to see if that would make a difference but it didn’t. Couldn’t find any leaks with the master or slave. Could this be a clutch pp or throw out bearing issue? Clutch is about 40-50k and it’s a act pressure plate with Honda disk and throw out bearing. Master was replaced about 20k and slave about 30k.

Also didn’t notice any strange noises. Everything seems to be normal except for the clutch and engagement at lower rpm shifts.
Thanks for any input.

Update:
Found issue taking tranny down. The clutch release hanger had partially broken off. To anyone replacing a clutch with a high mileage tranny, would recommend to get this 30 dollar piece.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:40 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

You probably have wear or debris on the release bearing guide sleeve.

Unfortunately, if that is the case, the trans needs to come off.

Check the easy stuff first. Clutch slave cylinder ball, grease on the fork, no issues with master or slave cylinder or fluid.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:47 AM

Thanks for the response. I’ll check the easy stuff today like the clutch slave cylinder rod and fork. Read sanding down the nipple of the slave rod helps with issues like this.

Driving this morning noticed reverse was a pain to get into. The car feels lik my old accord cable clutch when it started to wear out and get really tough to depress. Eventually the cable snapped. Didn’t notice any noise at all, just the creek depressing the clutch.

If none of the quick fixes work, would it be worth it to replace my complete clutch since the tranny needs to come out? Can I rehearse any parts of the clutch with a close hanger like some have suggested in other post ?

Just very strange how one minute the car is fine and when taking off for a light, the issue just started full. Didn’t notice anything gradual going bad.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:11 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Sounds like a clutch disengagement issue, when you first start it up and it's hard to get into gear will the car creep in that direction? You can try to grease the release guide, with a good light and some patience you can get enough on the sleeve to lube the release bearing. If worse comes to worst, I can give you a hand. Could just be air in the line as well.
Old 04-05-2018, 04:45 AM

Getting to reverse has been the toughest. Getting into first is hard and you feel deresssing the clutch resistance to the bottom and when letting off, like it’s not smooth and hits bumpy. The car will move once your half way up depressing the clutch but it’s not a smooth transition. Hard to describe. It’s just weird that at higher rpm’s, the clutch seems to work better.

Thanks for your offer. If my fork grease/shave fix doesn’t work, I can pass by your area to see what you think driving the car.
Old 04-05-2018, 05:50 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rikhemi
Getting to reverse has been the toughest. Getting into first is hard and you feel deresssing the clutch resistance to the bottom and when letting off, like it’s not smooth and hits bumpy. The car will move once your half way up depressing the clutch but it’s not a smooth transition. Hard to describe. It’s just weird that at higher rpm’s, the clutch seems to work better.

Thanks for your offer. If my fork grease/shave fix doesn’t work, I can pass by your area to see what you think driving the car.
My money's on the release bearing experiencing friction due to lack of grease. Basically I agree with Slow said above. Hopefully you can get it sorted without too much of an issue if it is...
Old 04-05-2018, 07:22 AM

Once I remove the slave, do I have a clear view of the release bearing? I read about using a close hanger and putting some grease on it to coat it. Just not sure how well that would work. Also with the grease, I believe I have some Valvoline multipurpose grease/synthetic grease lying around. Would this work to coat the bearing?
Old 04-05-2018, 08:02 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

I have some spare urea grease, yeah after you unbolt the slave and remove the boot with a good light you can just see the sleeve, something thin flat and long can get some grease there. The Honda urea grease is amazing a thin coat goes a long way. If you're going to unbolt the slave, try bleeding it with the bleeder pointing straight up in the air and gravity bleed it(I have spare brake fluid too). You can pick up some 1/4" id clear fuel hose at advance auto parts, that works perfect with the bleeder. I have some business in Westchester on Saturday, if you want I can swing by since it's kind of close to you.
Old 04-05-2018, 08:18 AM

Perfect. Yea I have a clear hose I can use to bleed it. Don’t think there is air in the line since I’ve seen those issues before when I had a leaky slave and master. For now I’ll give my grease a shot to try and tackle the issue today. If I see it helps, I can always regrease it later with the good stuff.

Saturday sounds good if this doesn’t work. I just want to make sure driving like this can’t damage anything else with the clutch or tranny. Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2018, 03:07 PM

Here is a vid I took of the clutch noise. You can see how it’s tough to push down plus it’s not smooth. Also makes a creeking noise when pushing down.

Noticed driving today that it’s engaging higher and higher and at some points, I can barely get it into 1st or reverse when the car seems to warm up.

I tried a bleed the clutch properly this afternoon and it didn’t help the situation. Also grinder down the slave piston and it didn’t help as well. I noticed in a video that you can pull out the fork, is that where you are suppose to but the grease with the clothes hanger? I was looking to see how to do that.

I know dropping he tranny is probably the way to determine what the issue. Just need to decide if I just to a overhaul on all the clutch components back to oem. Since the problem didn’t creep up, I’m thinking something just gave in the system.

Quick Reply: Clutch issue at low rpm’s - High rpms mask issue