UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Alex's S2000 Build Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 08:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Alex's S2000 Build Thread

Afternoon all, thought it was about time I got around to putting up a built thread.

Bought my S2000 around October 2017, was actually without a car for two years before hand (living in central London) but mainly in to RS Renaults before hand (Megane 250 and Clio 172). Was torn between the S2000 and a DC5, went for the S2000 in the end as I was keen to try RWD and a convertible! Here are a few pics from the advert, haven't actually got round to taking any more as of yet, as the weather has been pretty shocking! It's a 2007, around 85k, and lovely condition inside and out.

First few weeks of ownership weren't all that smooth, first up was the common seized alignment bolt issue! This was particularly annoying as I had asked the garage to get them checked before purchase. Thankfully though this meant they were prepared to cover most of the cost of getting it put right, which I had done at TGM in November. Feel of the car definitely improved with the correct alignment, despite the fact that it wasn't far out.

Next issue was a number of roof leaks. First up a big one in the boot, turns out it was the common issue of the replacement roof not having been riveted to the rain rail. This was disappointing but thankfully I was able to fix in a day and didn't really cost anything! Second was the driver side door seal, this took rather longer to get sorted, first tried removing the seal and reapplying which did improve things, but ultimately a new seal was required. Also treated the roof with 303 sealant which was a big help!

Also did a few little bits and bobs early on, phone mount, Jazz washer jets, , interior bulbs, disable headlight washers, disable seatbelt warning alarm, etc etc (see another thread I started for some links if you're interested). Phone mount was a particular success!

I've always been in to 'proper' audio installs in my cars, nothing too crazy but focused on quality speakers and amps. The Megane had a 3-way Focal setup but it was clear fitting mids to the S2000 would require a lot of surgery! Conveniently a friend had a set of Focal 165KX2's and was happy to swap which worked for both of us. Also had an Audion BitOne processor, JL XD1000/5 amp and JL 12W6 sub left from the Megane so I started the project to get these installed. 6 months later it's finally installed!

First stage was getting the doors ready. I started with the Modifry 'filler panels' which blank off a big hole in the door with MDF to get most of the way to a sealed enclosure. The instructions are great, I did find the shape wasn't quite right for me but this may have been a printer scaling issue, but either way the instructions are the important bit anyway. So spent a day or so getting these made up and installed:

The big wooden bar is just to hold it while it dried! Next up was soundproofing, I used Stinger Roadkill which is basically the same as Dynamat. One sheet on the outer skin of each door first, and some acoustic tiles glued on to act as wave diffuser (no point paying £20 for the fancy stuff when these are 50p each!):

Also made a collar and test fitted the woofer at this stage:

Then more sound proofing on the inner skin, making sure all holes are closed off (I left removable sections for the window adjustment bolts in case these are required):

I had a bit of a delay from this point so reinstalled the stock speakers, I must say they were actually sounding pretty good now! Would definitely recommend these two steps for a decent increase in sound quality even with the stock speakers (I was running an Alpine HU temporarily though which probably helped too).

Then got to work on getting the amp and processor installed. Removed the spare wheel and made a mount to hold them:

Can also see the Mosconi bluetooth receiver (the tiny thing above the processor) which will be my only source - no headhunt at all! Finally the wiring which was easier than expected, plenty of guides on here, no problem running 4AWG power and 2x thick gauge speaker cables without any cutting anywhere!

Tweeter installation was also easier than expected, fitted in the factory locations with a bit of Dremel action:

Finally installed the controller for the processor (my volume control) in a universal single din pocket, again easier than expected!

And thats about where I'm up to! Audio is finished apart from taking it to a professional place to get the processor setup, sounding pretty good as-is though, I'm impressed how much bottom-end I'm able to get out of the woofers, no door rattles at all!

Hope this is interesting to someone, I know there are a few people with 'proper' audio installs, but haven't seen anyone running active yet. Once I get it setup anyone local (I'm in Surrey) is welcome to have a look if interested.

Last edited by alexrobinson202; 03-23-2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:30 AM

Next plans are a big service at TGM, along with fitment of various bits and bobs I've been collecting:
  • Full brake system refresh - M-Tec black grooved discs, PBS pads, Hel braided lines and new fluid
  • K&N FIPK induction kit and Nvidia decat
  • Cusco front lower brace and Tegiwa rear lower brace
  • 4 Michelin PS4 tyres
Also purchased a FlashPro to get it mapped once it's all together - going to be an expensive few weeks!
Old 04-15-2018, 08:41 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Very nice and love the colour ( although I could be biased )

bring on next week with the good weather coming
Old 04-15-2018, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Bodyboarder1981
Very nice and love the colour ( although I could be biased )

bring on next week with the good weather coming
It will certainly be nice to have some sun at last - only two roof down drives so far this year for me!
And yeah I love the colour, I should really do a better job of keeping it clean.....
Old 04-15-2018, 09:52 AM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

Excellent work on the deadening, it does make a significant difference. unclefester has done some great work deadening the boot and roof tray which is worth a look.

What did you do with the sub?

I'm also running active (Alpine 9887R with the Imprint set up into a PDX-V9 amp into Hertz Mille MPK 165.3s and an Alpine SWR-T10 sub in a Darkside V1 enclosure).
Old 04-15-2018, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Excellent work on the deadening, it does make a significant difference. unclefester has done some great work deadening the boot and roof tray which is worth a look.

What did you do with the sub?

I'm also running active (Alpine 9887R with the Imprint set up into a PDX-V9 amp into Hertz Mille MPK 165.3s and an Alpine SWR-T10 sub in a Darkside V1 enclosure).
Good to know! Pretty happy with your setup?

I also got a bit carried away with the boot roof tray....

For the sub box, I bought one of these from eBay. I've stuck it in for now, but it' not perfect, it doesn't quite fit right - next time I have a weekend to spare I'll do it properly. Also ordered some grey carpet to make it match, and will do some soundproofing on the boot floor at the same time.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:27 AM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

Good work

Doors are a weak point as is the boot Floor / spare wheel area also the inner rear wings. Road noise out - audio in. Cheaper to increase the dB in the car by making it less like a biscuit tin.

The boot tray is a good thing to fix. Not many pics of mine these days, it's a long time since the work was done.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:48 PM
UK Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 258 Posts

The main difference between fester's work and yours is that he put some holes in the tray to let "da bass" through and also to help stop the bugger from rattling.

The boot lid itself will also rattle if "da bass" is turned up a lot, so adding more deadening there will help.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is a really good start! I'm currently improving my own setup at the moment so I'll be interested to see where you go with this.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by unclefester
Good work

Doors are a weak point as is the boot Floor / spare wheel area also the inner rear wings. Road noise out - audio in. Cheaper to increase the dB in the car by making it less like a biscuit tin.

The boot tray is a good thing to fix. Not many pics of mine these days, it's a long time since the work was done.
Originally Posted by lovegroova
The main difference between fester's work and yours is that he put some holes in the tray to let "da bass" through and also to help stop the bugger from rattling.

The boot lid itself will also rattle if "da bass" is turned up a lot, so adding more deadening there will help.
Thanks for the advice guys - if you do happen to have a picture of your cut-up boot tray it would be interesting to see! Did you notice a big difference? It is something I've considered doing, but is quite irreversible, so would be good to know if it's worth it! I do have some nice grey carpet which I could cover the holes with I suppose.....