S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Need help - V-tec Issue :(

Old 04-22-2018, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help - V-tec Issue :(

Hello!!

First Few things about my car:
-2003 AP1
-185K on body and engine
- I drive my a few times in the year about 5K miles every year.

Back Story:
i just got my car back from the mechanic shop after replacing the clutch, Putting back the catalytic converter, installing a new A/C Compressor and a alternator. I also got an emission test done which failed the first time due to Code P1362. Somehow my mechanic was able to pass it after he did something not sure exactly to clear the code.

Issue:
Since i got the new clutch in. I wanted to wait to rev the car until 500 mile break-in period was passed(so what i have been told). But of course, i waited like 300 miles

I wanted to feel how v-tec would feel with the new clutch. So, pushed the gas and notice it revved out passed 6300 without the v-tec engagement. I pushed it a little further to 7K it felt like a really hard engagement into v-tec but the car RPM would not pass 7K and started to rev jump (similar to a rev limiter). the car then shuts off and now an engine code is shown.

Possible issue :
-vtec solenoid is dirty or not working
-if the P1362 is causing the issue
-or is my engine failing

I'm going to take it to my mechanic again see if he can see what code is showing up this time. Asking the community for help. i been searching the web and can't find anything.

P.S - picture of my baby
Old 04-23-2018, 07:39 AM

Bump
Old 04-23-2018, 07:54 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

You got two camshaft position sensors on your valve cover and your ecu tells there is no signal from one of them.
Check wiring and connectors on both sensors since there is a high probability one was damaged during the clutch job.
Picture for reference, #8 is your CMP sensors.
Old 04-23-2018, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
You got two camshaft position sensors on your valve cover and your ecu tells there is no signal from one of them.
Check wiring and connectors on both sensors since there is a high probability one was damaged during the clutch job.
Picture for reference, #8 is your CMP sensors.

Thank you!! Ill get the sensor and install it myself. I checked the Code this morning and P1362 showed up. Ill update once i replace it. If i did my research correctly its Part #37510-PCX-003
Old 04-23-2018, 08:26 AM

Was one sensor damaged?
Part number is correct but these do not normally go bad unless you physically break them.
I think your code is for the sensor that sits on the side next to intake manifold.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Was one sensor damaged?
Part number is correct but these do not normally go bad unless you physically break them.
I think your code is for the sensor that sits on the side next to intake manifold.

Ill take a look once i get home. Ill see if it looks broken.
Old 04-24-2018, 02:58 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

For the guys to damage the cam sensor/s during a clutch job...that sounds like very aggressive treatment of the poor guy's engine! OP, what's the cost of one sensor?
Old 04-25-2018, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
For the guys to damage the cam sensor/s during a clutch job...that sounds like very aggressive treatment of the poor guy's engine! OP, what's the cost of one sensor?
It will cost around $80. based on www.hondapartsnow.com
Old 04-25-2018, 10:30 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Its the knock sensor right next to the upper starter bolt that is required to remove when dropping the trans that everyone seems to break. Could it be this that you guys are talking about? Cam sensors don't typically break, and am not sure why it would be subject to breaking with this work, unless the mechanic did something stupid like tilt the motor to try and get access to the upper trans bolts rather then drop the sub frame and in process crush the cam sensor they left installed that's located on the back of the valve cover between the firewall. If they did, make them pay for it and then tell them they suck and changing s2k clutches.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-25-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:31 AM

The CEL is for the cam sensor, that's why we are talking about it.

Quick Reply: Need help - V-tec Issue :(