S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Question on Handling

Old 05-08-2018, 06:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Question on Handling

Hi All,

New owner here (happy, elated owner, that is). Question - the car is wonderful and in excellent shape, but I have a question on handling characteristics. It handles great - so much different than any car I've had in the past, including my RSX Type-S. However, I wanted to know if some things I feel are normal, or might be tire issues, etc.

The car has mismatched summers on the front and back (front to back, not right to left). All are proper OEM sizes (BF G-Super Sport A/S in front and BF G-Force Comp-2 A/S in back) and proper pressure. Sometimes there feels like a little odd tracking in the rear, mostly when on grooved pavement/uneven. I'm still learning the characteristics of the car, and I notice it more when I have one hand at 12:00 only, rather then at 10 and/or 2. I don't know if this is because in my daily I'm used to the minor corrections you normally make in the wheel, and the S2000 is so sensitive that those unconscious corrections cause the car to move a little. Nothing feels loose or worn - I think it's just learning the car... thoughts?

I also notice some oversteer when shifting in a turn - like when making a left turn, shifting from first to second, when I push the clutch in, I get a bit of unanticipated oversteer. Again, still learning the car, and every manual I've owned has been front wheel drive.

Let me know your thoughts. My God, I LOVE this car. Thanks!

- Mike
Old 05-08-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 79 Likes on 69 Posts

S2000s are very sensitive to tire pressure. Make sure they are bang on. Mismatched tires are obviously not ideal. Don't be doing a lot of high RPM shifting in corners, especially until you spent some time with the car.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:11 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

The King is correct. This car is notoriously sensitive to anything that applies to tires, alignment, tire pressure and condition. You want to have things equal all the way around as much as you can. Old tires, especially worn tires, encountering a traction challenged road condition have sent many a driver and S into the divider, ditch or stationary object.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:22 AM

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks, guys. The rears are getting down, and I know some tires' handling tanks before they are "officially" worn to the markers. I should also get an alignment done since I don't know the current state and they could be it.
I 100% agree - I'm not a crazy driver and I completely respect the fact that this car can easily tell me who's boss if I don't learn it properly first. I'm actually babying it and typically shift under 4K unless I'm on headed straight. I could just feel the change as soon as the clutch goes in, so it sounds like it's just learning curve.
Good advice, guys! Thanks!
Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,909 Posts

The tires could be tramlining, some are more prone than others, grooved pavement exaggerates it.
Old 05-08-2018, 07:45 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

The tramlining (car wanting to be "steered" by road surface) will be worse as well with the tire pressures out of check.

This car does oversteer easier than some. The AP1's are worse than the AP2 at this. Also, coming from a FWD car, you are going to notice this a lot more. While the RSX-S is a nice car and handles decent, it is no comparison to a 50/50 balanced RWD sports car. So while the RSX felt more "tame" in terms of oversteer (they understeer like mad in other words when pushed hard) the RWD will feel more lively in the rear and the S2k will be a bit more lively than some RWDs. But you will get the feel of that soon enough.

This car is MUCH more responsive than a FWD car will be as well. The turn in is fast and crisp and this can make the car feel a little twitchy to some. But, if in doubt, have the alignment checked to make sure there is nothing crazy going on there. Small alignment changes can make a car go from normal to twitchy as all get out.

If you really feel sketchy in it, if there is a local autox club (even if you are not interested in doing that long term) sign up for a practice event if they have them and get some good seat time in. Cheap way to learn the limits of the car. Get out there and drive it, learn when too much is too much, etc in a safe environment. That will make you much more confident in it on the street.
Old 05-08-2018, 08:18 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

I think that the thing to do is to get a good alignment and a set of new matched summer tires in OEM sizes. That generally makes a world of difference. The car is very sensitive to tire condition, pressure, and alignment. I think the tires you have are decent tires. If they are worn that could be it. But, I bet your alignment is out of wack.
Old 05-08-2018, 12:10 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

One more thing I'd do is get rid of the A/S (all/season) tires and get some good 3 season tires.
I am running the Firehawk Indy 500(Ultra High Performance Summer tire) and would also run the Continental ExtremeContact Sport(Max Performance Summer tire)
I'm very pleased with the wet and dry handling of the Firestone's, have just under 10k miles on them so far.
If you need tires for snow then get a second set of wheels and run winter tires or better yet get a winter beater.

ROD
Old 05-08-2018, 12:35 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

Alignment. Everyone said it, and its the second thing on the list after tire pressures, which you said were good.

Are you on stock suspension? Did you check for any spring spacers? It would ve odd to still find some out there, but you should definitely inspect.

If its not stock suspension, coilovers or lowering springs, maybe po never clocked the bushings. I would reclock them all if it has aftermarket suspension. Its basically just loosening then retightening all the bushing bolts, upper, lower, shock lower, with that corners suspension bearing weight.

Also, there is a thread for things new owners should do and check. Search for it, and learn from it.
Old 05-09-2018, 04:08 AM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts

A/S tires also generally have sidewalls and tread that will squirm more under load and that can give weird feelings in the feedback. The A/S tires themselves, more than the fact they are mismatched, is probably giving you ghosty feelings. These days there are good summer performance tires that hold up longer and still provide great grip, like the Continental ExtremeContact Sports which are relatively cheap and very highly rated.

Also, as a matter of habit, don't change gears while cornering. Set up for the turn and then concentrate on stability - trying to shift will throw the balance of the car off, which will in turn cause you to lose traction and possibly spin. The S2000 has great polar movement for good and bad. If you're getting oversteer from a 1-2 shift at an intersection or something, either you're going WOT or it sounds like an alignment or diff issue, and that implies a bigger stability issue to be concerned about.

Quick Reply: Question on Handling