Dragon Events Tail of the Dragon (Highway US129) 318 curves in 11 miles, is America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road.

RTD 2019 - Suggestions

Old 05-17-2018, 05:34 AM

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RTD 2019 - Suggestions

I talked to several new people as well as seasoned members of our community, and I'm seeing some common threads. The main feedback I got was (from new people) that the event was "over too soon" or felt "rushed" or "compacted", which is a sentiment I can relate to. I also spoke with the bartender at Wildwood Grill and she told me that we are the only car club who doesn't stay Sunday through Sunday, so I'm throwing it out there - Rock the Dragon 2019: Sunday through Sunday.

Before you tear my idea to shreds, allow me to elaborate why I think it would be a good idea:

1.) Lots of newcomers "missed" drives. If we had repeated drives throughout the week, it would be easier to go to Franklin/Cherohala/Little Switzerland/wherever, and have an alternative activity lined up for the day for people who have already gone on the drive/plan on doing it some other time of the week. Example: Monday, we could do a Cherohala drive with lunch at Tellico Plains, while those of us who don't want to tag along can go wild water rafting. Which brings me to point #2:
2.) We have more time for socializing. A lot of newcomers and of course seasoned guys have expressed the wish to socialize more, to put a face to the screen name. This would be possible by doing non-car activities for 1 or 2 days of the week (see example above) - there are innumerable experiences that we miss out on such as ziplining, rafting, panning for gold or going shopping in Gatlinburg, or Highlands, just to name a few.
3.) For a significant number of attendees, this is their main (or second) vacation they take per year. Again, several people I've spoken with have said the event feels "go, go, go" and doesn't even leave room for a bit of relaxation, which again I can agree with.

So again, I would really appreciate your heartfelt feedback to making the event a week next spring. I'm more than happy to help with organizing and securing sponsors (I have a friend who works in PR, and could get me an intro to Honda or Tire Rack for more awesome raffle prizes - I know I sure would have loved to have won some this event )

Let me know your thoughts, I'm glad to type up an itinerary that would outline the week, and help Ken and others substantially with the organization of it.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

In my experience people always say they wish it (any event in general) was longer but when the time comes to put up the vacation days, time, and money they typically always back out.

A great compromise would be to keep the formal event as Thursday-Sunday but have an extended option for the days leading into RtD. We already do one add on day (Ken's Super Fancy Shmancy Dinner) so adding Sunday-Tuesday or any combination of those days would be simple!

I'm sure room discounts can be extended to the days leading into RtD.

It's easy to just coordinate with friends and show up a few days early! That's what I always do at least.
Old 05-17-2018, 06:55 AM

Received 199 Likes on 157 Posts

For the spring event I would say yes but not in the fall. The best one I ever did was to up for the week. You get to explore more areas and get to really meet more people on an one to one basis. Well put Florian and hope for the best on this. Later BD.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We could definitely use help with obtaining sponsorship. Tire Rack and Honda have both been hesitant to sponsor anything because 1) the S2000 is an old platform and 2) Honda is probably following Toyota to Texas, so their spend in many small marketing categories has been frozen or reduce. So as it was explained to me when I spoke with their marketing department.

But, the squeaky wheel get's the grease (or maybe the brakes are just cold), so the more requests and relationships built the more probable it is to land great sponsors.

The CTR, BRZ/FRS/86 and Focus RS craze has hurt our chances of getting marketing dollars. We just need to find the right people at the right time with the right budget.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:34 AM

Received 195 Likes on 129 Posts

I drove down the the Canadians this year just to get more days so it sounds good to me. A week might be kind of long, maybe just add a day next year and see how that goes, if people love it then add another day until people say enough. The idea from GUTI007 is a great thought too, keep it the same but add Thursday as an optional day and setup some drives for that day, maybe some of the new drives you're talking.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:50 AM

Received 189 Likes on 116 Posts

I like the ideas being thrown around and think it might be nice to have some organization around a longer event. I came down Wednesday so I could get an extra day which is when I did most of my driving. Next year I am already planning to come down a day sooner so I can spend an off day doing rafting or boating.

Some people will come early some will not, but perhaps in the future we can organize some "pre-events" that would get more people down there sooner. Apply some structure. Personally after my first event, I want to do as much driving as I can during the week and on Friday/Saturday stay off the roads (too much traffic to have fun). Friday afternoon and Saturday after the rollout I'd love to do hiking and boating.

As far as sponsors, I used to run and organize big 3 day events in AZ and have experience putting together sponsorship proposals and would be open to helping next year. I always reached out to detailing companies and they supplied me with detail products. Stoner Car Care never responded to me, they just shipped me two cases of glass cleaner which is great to have on a trip.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:46 AM

Received 972 Likes on 665 Posts

It's already informally Wednesday through Sunday now. I can always make Wednesday a "formal" RtD2019 day. That's easily done. I doubt that I'd have any problem convincing Fontana to extend the special room rate. Of course, if you want to see how that works, you can always join in the Wednesday night dinner or I can plan something at Fontana for Wednesday for a special dinner or something. Personally, after working on the Spring event for almost 5 months, I'm not sure I would want to be there a week but it's worthwhile finding out.

Good suggestion Florian. I'll check with Fontana in the Fall.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:02 AM

Ken - we will be in touch regarding some ideas I have to make a week-long event "tolerable"

Thanks everybody else for your feedback! Just trying my best to keep more people coming and have more enthusiasm for these events!
Old 05-17-2018, 10:18 AM

Another idea - want your registration fee waived? Volunteer to be our video editor/take over a portion of the event. For example, if you have great video editing skills, you volunteer your time Saturday afternoon to put together a "best of" video for the banquet Saturday night. If you're a good organizer, you make sure everything is set up in time for Friday evening on the ball field. This way, the weight of the entire event isn't on any one person's shoulders. I think if we split the responsibilities by 3 or 4 people who each contribute a few hours, we could have an easier time organizing. Just throwing it out there.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:14 PM

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by funat9000rpm
Another idea - want your registration fee waived? Volunteer to be our video editor/take over a portion of the event. For example, if you have great video editing skills, you volunteer your time Saturday afternoon to put together a "best of" video for the banquet Saturday night. If you're a good organizer, you make sure everything is set up in time for Friday evening on the ball field. This way, the weight of the entire event isn't on any one person's shoulders. I think if we split the responsibilities by 3 or 4 people who each contribute a few hours, we could have an easier time organizing. Just throwing it out there.
Or maybe you'll get a t-shirt out of it!

Wait a second....

Between ensuring my wife has a good time and leading drives, I don't have much else ability to help elsewhere. I suspect I'll be occupied with my own group of newbs if not with my wife. Many of you have seen stuff I've done in the past and I'd love to offer a crash course if anyone wants to help but doesn't know how.

I've actually wanted to do a more in depth education session on safe/skilled/fun driving but have had zero time. Maybe it would be a Youtube course some day! I would like the S2K club to maintain its reputation as the safest, fastest, and friendliest club at Fontana.

Quick Reply: RTD 2019 - Suggestions