S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

F20 c oil consumption?

Old 05-19-2018, 07:14 AM

Received 271 Likes on 197 Posts
Default F20 c oil consumption?

Beginner question:

Does the F20c Engine need oil top ups regulary between oil changes?
Old 05-19-2018, 07:24 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes - some people see around a quart (or more) of consumption per 1000 miles.

I advise checking your dipstick every time (or every other time) you fill up with gas and topping her off.
If you're at the track it doesn't hurt to look at the level between sessions!
Old 05-19-2018, 07:35 AM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

absolutely, this is the most important maintenance function. I'd hazard a guess that the majority of engine failures have been due to lack of oil, Check your oil at every fuel fill up. You can be a quart low and be perfectly safe on the street, but start doing any hard cornering and high rpms (which is always tempting in the s2000) and then you have issues combined with low oil.
Old 05-19-2018, 08:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes oil level and missed shifts are the prime killers of this engine.

I personally am a "cold oil level checker"

I check before I start out.

The problem with checking at a gas station could be that the oil has not had enough time to return to the oil pan.

Over filling can be as bad as under filling. I am not sure how overfilled it has to be before the crank starts contacting oil in the sump.

But that causes foaming and air in the system is not good.

My 2 cents
Old 05-19-2018, 10:20 AM

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by EELPIE
Over filling can be as bad as under filling. I am not sure how overfilled it has to be before the crank starts contacting oil in the sump.

But that causes foaming and air in the system is not good.
I think it would take a pretty big overfill to get to that point during normal running. I run half a quart or so over in my car for extra insurance... but I've seen it puke out half a quart in a session before I did the breather mods.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:07 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Any oil level between the Upper and Lower marks is fine. Honda specifically notes:
Do not fill above the upper mark; you
could damage the engine.
The upper mark is maximum permissible oil level. No need to keep adding oil an once at a time to keep it at the upper mark.

-- Chuck
Old 05-19-2018, 02:15 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Chibo
I think it would take a pretty big overfill to get to that point during normal running. I run half a quart or so over in my car for extra insurance... but I've seen it puke out half a quart in a session before I did the breather mods.
I recall a post by Billman a while back in which I think he expressed concern that overfilling - even just a little, created a small danger of very bad things happening. I think it was based on an actual experience. Be careful. Personally, I never overfill.
Old 05-19-2018, 02:52 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Check BOTH sides of the stick
Old 05-19-2018, 02:55 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

Originally Posted by rpg51
I recall a post by Billman a while back in which I think he expressed concern that overfilling - even just a little, created a small danger of very bad things happening. I think it was based on an actual experience. Be careful. Personally, I never overfill.
overfilling .25 quarts over is a common track procedure use by members who track their cars. I'd say that is perfectly safe and someone has figured it to be helpful as you can burn up some large amounts of oil if the track has some long right-hand high speed sweeper curves. I wouldn't do it on the street as it isn't necessary. The danger point could be .5 - 1 quart over, and is likely where Billman has seen cars hydrolock due to oil being sucked through the intake system. Just my two pennies.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:42 AM

Received 271 Likes on 197 Posts

Thank you all!

Quick Reply: F20 c oil consumption?