S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

F20C Low Oil pressure shut down

Old 06-19-2018, 09:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question F20C Low Oil pressure shut down

Does anyone know if the 2001 F20C engine has a low oil pressure shut off?

The oil drain plug on this engine wan't tight and fell out while running about 3000 rpm. The oil dash light came on, I shifted into neutral. let off the throttle and the engine shut down on its own within 10 seconds before I could turn it off on my own. The engine turns over by hand with no issue. We pulled the engine, pulled the oil pan and the main caps and crank look perfect, valve train looks great. What little oil was left looks like new. Pan was clean. Head is coming off next for a thorough inspection. Hopefully the top of the cylinder walls look as good as the bottom of the walls. If there is a low pressure shut off, I am feel pretty good that the engine may not be hurt.

What's the best site to purchase OEM engine parts??

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-19-2018, 10:42 AM

Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by ManningP
Does anyone know if the 2001 F20C engine has a low oil pressure shut off?
From the factory? No it does not
Old 06-19-2018, 10:49 AM

That's what I was afraid of. I couldn't find anything online about a shut off. Thanks for the comment.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:54 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Geez, sounds like your more then half way into a rebuild already. Why didn't you just fill her back up with oil, run it briefly, check the vtec screen for any bearing particulate and do a comp test and count your blessings? Good chance your engine was fine. But now you have invested how much time and money for the sake of what? It is what it is, either it runs good or its damaged and it doesn't, no point in tearing down to find out what you could have in 2 min of idling and testing as mentioned.
Old 06-19-2018, 01:45 PM

Received 3,361 Likes on 2,444 Posts

I wouldn't invest any money looking for something that might not exist, good advice above ^. Top end won't have any damage, if anything gets damaged it is the lower bearings. You can sometimes get away with one incident if the engine wasn't under high load or high rpm or high g cornering. Oil in the bearings won't be displaced so you may have had enough hydrodynamic wedge to protect things for a few seconds. I would just keep driving it. Maybe do a compression check, oil pressure check, and check the vtec screen at the most to ease your mind.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:07 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Maybe try to check oil pressure. I doubt enough time for any bore damage to occur
Old 06-19-2018, 04:23 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

He already has the engine out of the car and head off
Old 06-20-2018, 05:38 AM

I appreciate all of the comments. The shop that performed some maintenance on the car was responsible for the oil plug issue. They purchased a new used 03 engine and installed it at zero cost to me. I only use the car for HPDE's. The shop owner specializes in servicing track cars and he didn't want to take the chance of something being wrong. I had originally considered adding oil and running it, but the shop that made the mistake insisted on a new-used engine.

Since the engine was already out of the car, it seemed logical to take a look at the internals to check for damage. Since the engine shut off on its own I presumed that there had to be some type of damage. I hated to just assume the engine was ok and only to have it blow up in the future because I was too lazy and cheap to inspect it.

I stopped the tear down and the head is still installed. Next up is the vtech screen inspection as suggested in an earlier post. I am going to borrow a bore camera to do an inspection. If there's no scoring on the cylinder walls then I will probably stop tearing it apart, assume all is well and keep the engine for a spare.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:06 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

That's a good shop! You may have a spare engine on your hands. Or does the shop want it, as a core?
Old 06-20-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by ManningP
I appreciate all of the comments. The shop that performed some maintenance on the car was responsible for the oil plug issue. They purchased a new used 03 engine and installed it at zero cost to me. I only use the car for HPDE's. The shop owner specializes in servicing track cars and he didn't want to take the chance of something being wrong. I had originally considered adding oil and running it, but the shop that made the mistake insisted on a new-used engine.

Since the engine was already out of the car, it seemed logical to take a look at the internals to check for damage. Since the engine shut off on its own I presumed that there had to be some type of damage. I hated to just assume the engine was ok and only to have it blow up in the future because I was too lazy and cheap to inspect it.

I stopped the tear down and the head is still installed. Next up is the vtech screen inspection as suggested in an earlier post. I am going to borrow a bore camera to do an inspection. If there's no scoring on the cylinder walls then I will probably stop tearing it apart, assume all is well and keep the engine for a spare.
That is a good shop and they are handling it like true professionals it sounds like. I would recommend not naming them here so their name is not attached to the plug being left out, but maybe just post a nice review of them on a separate post, saying that they cover their issues and take care of their customers like they should. Far too many bad shops giving everyone bad names, so it is always good to promote the good ones that treat you right. My father has run his own shop my whole life, and I can tell you that while he is known for being 100% fair and honest in his area, new customers always come in with reservation due to being screwed by other shops first. So get the good word out on the good ones!

Quick Reply: F20C Low Oil pressure shut down