Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

BMW Z4M Roadster Rental

Old 07-22-2018, 05:08 PM

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts
Default BMW Z4M Roadster Rental

I have been renting this in San Diego for the past 4 days. What an awesome car. It has the straight 6 from the E46 M3 with 8k redline. Not a perfect car, it’s a bit heavy. It’s not the ideal canyon carver though it was fun there. The suspension is surprisingly stiff. It bounces on less than perfect roads which is not confidence inspiring. I’m putting it down a bit and does have flaws but the steering is just about perfect. There’s zero slop. At times I wished it th steering ratio was not so tight—something I never thought I’d say. The engine is absolut gem. For me it’s the perfect amount of power and it just loves to rev and rewards you for it. The straight six is so smooth. It makes for a great cruiser.

I’m not getting rid of my S2000 anytime soon but I’d consider the coupe version of the Z4M as a companion to it though. The looks are polarizing I guess but I think it’s the best car of the Bangle era. That’s not saying much but I do think it’s cool. This pic was taken in front of Torrey Pines beach at night.
The following users liked this post:
mosesbotbol (07-22-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 05:07 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I like em. If I could find a good low miler for a reasonable price I would get one. The reasonable price is the hard part.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
I like em. If I could find a good low miler for a reasonable price I would get one. The reasonable price is the hard part.
they’ve held their value decently and they have higher mileage. It’s a little like S2k that way. Not a lot under 50k miles for sale and those are expensive. On the other hand that means they’re not depreciating much if any.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:13 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I had the Z4M coupe and it was a great car, overall. Definitely a bit heavy but I loved how it drove, overall, and the extra power was great. You could wring the car out without going too far over the speed limit, which was good.

Honestly, 330 hp is perfect for the street - enough power to have lots of fun but not so much power that you have to get off the throttle really quickly.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:54 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

I test drove one years ago. Agreed on all fronts. The suspension setup is surprisingly aggressive and they've barely depreciated at all over the past several years. I've definitely thought about getting one. The Z4 3.0si (265hp I-6) is also a good option at roughly half the price.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:03 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

I was looking at them seriously about a year ago. If I found any with under 40,000 miles they wanted about $30k. With the cost of parts, that was just to hard to swallow because if you set a budget of $30k on a used car, there is lots to choose from any many that are newer, faster, whatever. It would have to be the uniqueness that is the draw if you want it as a toy. But for $30k, I'd add a 987.2 Boxster S to the garage. If I found one for $25k I would have been really tempted.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:12 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

255 hp on the 3.0si, I believe.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:50 AM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by JonBoy
255 hp on the 3.0si, I believe.
You're right, my bad. I'm pretty sure in Europe they had 265hp, which is what I drove on the Nurburgring.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Beautiful looking cars and the appeal should remain for several years for the M spec models.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by JonBoy
I had the Z4M coupe and it was a great car, overall. Definitely a bit heavy but I loved how it drove, overall, and the extra power was great. You could wring the car out without going too far over the speed limit, which was good.

Honestly, 330 hp is perfect for the street - enough power to have lots of fun but not so much power that you have to get off the throttle really quickly.
agree. Power was perfect. Enough to make it interesting without go to jail speeds. I had a tuned 135i—twin turbo v6– and it was rare that I could use the power.

Originally Posted by white98ls
I test drove one years ago. Agreed on all fronts. The suspension setup is surprisingly aggressive and they've barely depreciated at all over the past several years. I've definitely thought about getting one. The Z4 3.0si (265hp I-6) is also a good option at roughly half the price.
some people prefer the 3.0 for the softer ride and they feel it has a more usable power band. Coming from an S2000 the S54 felt torquey to me. The revs climb fast too. I’d be interested to drive the 3.0. The thing I forgot to mention is jut how smooth an inline 6 is. There’s no vibration whether going 90 on the highway or keeping the revs above 5000 rpm in the canyons.

Originally Posted by vader1
I was looking at them seriously about a year ago. If I found any with under 40,000 miles they wanted about $30k. With the cost of parts, that was just to hard to swallow because if you set a budget of $30k on a used car, there is lots to choose from any many that are newer, faster, whatever. It would have to be the uniqueness that is the draw if you want it as a toy. But for $30k, I'd add a 987.2 Boxster S to the garage. If I found one for $25k I would have been really tempted.
I suspect the existence of the Cayman/Box explains the rarity of the M coupe and roadster. Head to head with Porsche is not a great place to be in the market.

Quick Reply: BMW Z4M Roadster Rental