S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

Current AP1 "OEM style" front lip solutions?

Old 08-06-2018, 11:09 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts
Default Current AP1 "OEM style" front lip solutions?

Has anyone recently purchased and installed an OEM style lip on their AP1? Trying to determine the best vendor to purchase one from. I heard some good things about BaysonR, but unfortunately they're not in stock and the only response I can get from CS is "It shows out of stock with no ETA, and they've been out of stock for some time" Kinda sucks considering theirs supposedly fit the best, and they'd have a decent market if they decided to continue making them...really unfortunate.

Finding an OEM lip at this point is going to be a nightmare, especially at a decent price, and to be completely honest I'd much prefer a poly lip vs the fiberglass they used for OEM as this car will be getting driven and roads are pretty hostile here in the Northeast. Basically just trying to figure out where people are getting their lips from in this current day, how they fit, etc. I have the OEM installation hardware kit and weather seal to alleviate some of the not-so-perfect fit, just need a good lip.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:54 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

I'd also like to know. I'm in the market for a new one. Want something with spot on fitment and not a heavyweight item either.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
I'd also like to know. I'm in the market for a new one. Want something with spot on fitment and not a heavyweight item either.
Doing some google searching I'm inclined to give this place a go.

https://www.octanemotorsports.com/20...SABEgIV2_D_BwE

Comes out to $155 shipped, but they offer a pre-paint option as well as "fitment & quality guaranteed". I tend to look for ads like this that seem to be well composed as opposed to fly-by-night ebay vendors. You can only charge so much for poly but fitment adds a price. I highly doubt they'd be looking to refund $300+ if someone opted for the pre-painted version and it fit like shit. Maybe I'll bite the bullet soon and give this a test run, if it blows I'll just get a refund.
The following users liked this post:
RolanTHUNDER (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 03:29 AM

Received 322 Likes on 273 Posts

^^^^Looks promising, be sure to give a report if you decide to get one. I may be looking for a replacement too.
Levi
Old 08-07-2018, 04:42 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kys
Doing some google searching I'm inclined to give this place a go.

https://www.octanemotorsports.com/20...SABEgIV2_D_BwE

Comes out to $155 shipped, but they offer a pre-paint option as well as "fitment & quality guaranteed". I tend to look for ads like this that seem to be well composed as opposed to fly-by-night ebay vendors. You can only charge so much for poly but fitment adds a price. I highly doubt they'd be looking to refund $300+ if someone opted for the pre-painted version and it fit like shit. Maybe I'll bite the bullet soon and give this a test run, if it blows I'll just get a refund.
Thanks for the link. Seems quite pricey...a whole $180 to paint it and then a further $60 for shipping? That's pretty steep. Makes me feel like the eBay vendors might not be so bad but then again I don't want to get an absolute dud for $50 or thereabouts shipped lol...
Old 08-07-2018, 09:07 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Yeah that seems pricey and it is probably the same lip as any ebay vendor will sell you. For ebay vendors I would look for one that ship the lip in a box where the lip doesn't have to be folded up. If none state that in the description I would ask before buying. It is possible to get them to go back into the right shape but it is better if they aren't all twisted up and crammed in a small box. For paint I wouldn't pay to have it painted by the seller I would take it to a body shop so they can actually paint match it to your bumper.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:17 AM

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

all of the replica lips will look like shit, I purchased a BaysonR, had it painted and installed professionally and within hours ripped it off and literally threw it in a garbage can. I eventually found an OEM lip and it was worth every last penny.

secondly, the OEM lip is ABS plastic.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:13 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

BaysonR was shipping their lips without bending them to a certain extent, they would wrap the lip in cardboard and tape everything down. I bought 3 from them and had almost no fitment issues, had to heat one with a hair dryer to reform a slight bend.

Good luck in your search and report back for future lip seekers.

Here is my current BaysonR AP2 lip.

Old 08-07-2018, 09:27 PM

Received 125 Likes on 108 Posts

Seibon 2x2 carbon fiber AP1 lip part # FL0003HDS2K-OE is another option. It's not cheap though. PM me for a dealer referral, to get the lowest price in the US on Seibon parts.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by jackmugen02
Seibon 2x2 carbon fiber AP1 lip part # FL0003HDS2K-OE is another option. It's not cheap though. PM me for a dealer referral, to get the lowest price in the US on Seibon parts.
That was one of the routes I was considering, I might have to go that route. Found a guy who was still able to get BNIB OEM Ap1 lips sans GPW...so I would've needed to get it painted. His asking price was the low price of $850 shipped..Had to bow out on that offer lol. If I'm gonna spend $850 I might as well get a CF one for cheaper....Right now I have the RSG Gears lip and I'm not sure how I feel about the looks....I really like the subtle look of OEM.

Quick Reply: Current AP1 "OEM style" front lip solutions?