Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

Would You Be in the Market for an Electric S2000?

Old 09-07-2018, 10:19 AM
IB Staff

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Would You Be in the Market for an Electric S2000?

Would You Be in the Market for an Electric S2000?
By Christopher Hurst

If Honda came back with the S2000, but it was only offered as an all-electric sports car would you still buy one? This is why the answer will be yes.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not interested...At all and here is why: ... Not until electric vehicles have a range of 400 miles minimum, are capable of cruising all day long at a steady 80 mph and can be fully re-charged in 30 minutes or less will I consider one. Hell Formula E has to have a racing series that requires 2 cars to complete a race. I can imagine how fast one would drain their batteries in an all electric S2000 at a track meet. That said, when that day comes the gasoline engine will be relegated to museums and go the way of the DoDo.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:54 PM

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by s2kx2
Not interested...At all and here is why: ... Not until electric vehicles have a range of 400 miles minimum, are capable of cruising all day long at a steady 80 mph and can be fully re-charged in 30 minutes or less will I consider one. Hell Formula E has to have a racing series that requires 2 cars to complete a race. I can imagine how fast one would drain their batteries in an all electric S2000 at a track meet. That said, when that day comes the gasoline engine will be relegated to museums and go the way of the DoDo.
That day is pretty much already here...

From jalopnik "just how far can you push an electric car battery":

"Next year’s season, Formula E’s fifth, will see an updated battery powering the Gen 2 cars; only 110 pounds heavier, the speed of advancement since 2014 means it will go the race distance with no car swap. It almost doubles the energy storage of the first generation, dealing with 66 percent higher output and 100 percent higher regeneration than these were originally built for."
Old 09-12-2018, 06:32 AM

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

^Sure, but once you drain the battery at a track event what do you do then? Wait several hours while your car recharges enough for you to leave the track? Sounds like fun.

To original question: No, not even remotely.

1) No gear shifting
2) No engine screaming
3) Very heavy
4) No emotion
Old 09-12-2018, 07:00 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No and it won't happen for a long, long time. The new NSX is a sales and mindshare failure. They're not going to stick their neck out on another S2000 with anything interesting in it. If an S2000 successor comes out in the current market with present day Honda building it, there's basically no chance that it's any good.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:18 AM
IB Staff

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by InterHat
No and it won't happen for a long, long time. The new NSX is a sales and mindshare failure. They're not going to stick their neck out on another S2000 with anything interesting in it. If an S2000 successor comes out in the current market with present day Honda building it, there's basically no chance that it's any good.
They dropped the ball so hard with the new NSX smh. It seemed like they were so focused on building some sort of supercar instead of building a vehicle closer to the original. Too much tech, too heavy, and too expensive. I don't mind the styling of it too much but they should have gone back to Pininfarina as well.

Old 09-14-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

only if they did it "right" with an electric motor attached to a standard clutch and stick transmission. kind of counter intuitive but it would be easier to work on, and actually operate.

if they did this they could still mount it low and back and Id be all sorts of game for it. even if it had a 200 mile range/
Old 09-15-2018, 09:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

yes
Old 09-19-2018, 11:06 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

AMEN!
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k
^Sure, but once you drain the battery at a track event what do you do then? Wait several hours while your car recharges enough for you to leave the track? Sounds like fun.

To original question: No, not even remotely.

1) No gear shifting
2) No engine screaming
3) Very heavy
4) No emotion
Old 09-19-2018, 12:19 PM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k

1) No gear shifting

3) Very heavy
These two are key for me. They can take modern tires and make heavy cars pull decent g's but they don't really feel the same as a light nimble tossable car. I also have far less interest these days in most cars because of the manual shifter. TT RS? Fast but if I can't shift it I don't care. If you have a heavy car with an automatic it can be S2000 in name only.

I realize this will be heresy, but an electric motor does an even better imitation of a frenetic high strung gas engine than the real thing. But take out the manual and make it heavy and it just is not the S2000. Give it a different name and its own heritage at that point.

Quick Reply: Would You Be in the Market for an Electric S2000?