California - Southern California S2000 Owners Southern California S2000 Owners

State Referee help

Old 09-19-2018, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default State Referee help

Hey guys, I got a state ref ticket for loud exhaust and modified emissions last month. Repaired everything the best I could and swapped the invidia N1 for the stock exhaust with aftermarket mufflers that came with the car when I bought it. I failed the smog because the breather hose on my stock air box was cracked/taped and the exhaust that came with the car had mufflers and failed the noise test which I understand (db 98 and 100 for driver and passenger side, respectively). Basically the paper said I passed emissions but marked the PCV as modified. But what are my options for court or going back to the state referee? I did go ahead and schedule my appearance in court so I do go over my appearance date and my second state ref appointment is after my due date. Can anyone shed to some guidance or share experiences, please?
Thank you
Old 09-19-2018, 10:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I would just find another stock exhaust and stock airbox and install it.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:04 AM

Thank you, that's the best route
Old 09-24-2018, 01:04 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

what city were you in when you got the ref ticket? seems like cops are issuing these tickets more readily now.......god i hope i dont get popped!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you give more details on the noise test?

How can i test for it at home?
Old 09-25-2018, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Mijae007
what city were you in when you got the ref ticket? seems like cops are issuing these tickets more readily now.......god i hope i dont get popped!
Huntington Beach near Sunset. Yes, I've gotten a fix it for loud exhaust on my RSX in the past, swap it out, get it signed by CHP, and $25

Originally Posted by S2kalan
Can you give more details on the noise test?

How can i test for it at home?
For state ref, there's two tests they can do depending on your violation: smog(including visual) and the sound test.
The dB reader is on a tripod and it gets placed behind the mufflers at multiple angels during the test, both mufflers are tested individually, and at different RPMs. You can easily overshoot the 95dB limit. Seems only possible to pass with stock exhaust.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:06 AM

Update: I passed the ref inspection. For anyone who are in this situation or might find themselves in this situation, I hope you find this somewhat useful.
Emissions/smog test: Everything in the engine that has to do with emissions has to be stock/functional, no cracks or botched repairs i.e., tape. Originally failed with cracked breather pipe and repaired with tape.

Exhaust noise: The stock exhaust is the safest bet since I originally failed a stock exhaust with aftermarket mufflers which were quiet with a low rumble. Stock exhaust reading: 85 dB at 4150 RPM according to the test results.

If anyone can chime in on what happens next regarding court/fines, please let me know.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Good to know, I am so paranoid about getting state reffed.... What are your fees looking like?
Old 11-05-2018, 07:43 AM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by S2kalan
Good to know, I am so paranoid about getting state reffed.... What are your fees looking like?
Me too, once you go turbo theres almost no going back...most my stock parts are gone too I have nightmares about this shit lol
Old 11-06-2018, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Mijae007
Me too, once you go turbo theres almost no going back...most my stock parts are gone too I have nightmares about this shit lol
I promise I'm not trying to bash or beat you(or anybody) up, I'm genuinely curious: Why did you get rid of your stock stuff? Are you new to California?

These issues are nothing new and almost anybody who modifies cars to an illegal limit should foresee the situation where they'd legally be screwed and have to at least temporarily go back to stock.

Surprised how many people drive illegally modified cars yet have almost no immediately reasonable/feasible backup plan.

I think noise pollution rules in LA should be banned. That entire damn city is noise pollution lol

Quick Reply: State Referee help