S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Have any of you considered purchasing a Boxster or Cayman instead of your S?

Old 09-20-2018, 06:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have any of you considered purchasing a Boxster or Cayman instead of your S?

As I still have a little while before I'll be purchasing a Sunday car, I am looking at all my options and trying to do as much research as possible. So for any of you who considered a Boxster/Cayman and drove either of them, I'm curious to why you didn't go with one of them. Note that I am only looking at the 987 models due to my budget, which were made from 2005-2012. I'd love to get a "S" model, but I don't know if I'll be able to.

I said goodbye to my S over 10 years ago and have wanted another one since, but to be honest the market right now is absolutely ridiculous. Maybe it's the time of year, but I haven't been able to find many AP2s that fit my budget. I have found them, but there aren't many of them. I just did a quick search on Autotrader and found one AP2 within 500 miles from me that meet my qualifications. I don't have an exact budget, but it's over $15,000. The S is a great car and especially for all of you, I'm happy that they've kept their value. However, if around $15,000 is going to get me a MY00 I may consider spending my money elsewhere.

From everything I've heard, the Boxster and Cayman are lots of fun to drive. My two biggest concerns are the cost of ownership (not expecting a Porsche to be as reliable as a Honda) and depreciation. The fact that these cars cost that much more than a S when they came out and are worth that much less now tells me that they're going to keep depreciating while the S is appreciating in value. This isn't the main reason I'd buy a car, but it's still something to consider.

Thanks to anyone who can offer some advice or share a story.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've now owned my 2001 for ten years. Once in a while I think about trying something else. This usually happens over winter when I haven't driven it in a while. Then I start reading about the other cars and realize there's no point...I like how simple the Honda is. I'm fairly confident I'll be able to keep it another ten years and it's likely I'll have to spend very little keeping it on the road. I'm not sure I can say that about a Porsche or BMW that I'd budget for. If I was in the market today I'd be looking pretty hard at the 2019 Miata.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,587 Likes on 1,903 Posts

My dad has a '17 Boxster and I've driven it enough to know I prefer the S to it. It's certainly quick, and the PDK is sweet, but I wouldn't buy one. I've no experience with the older ones so I don't know how they compare. The Boxster just doesn't feel right to me, hard to explain.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:40 AM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

We looked at an 06 Cayman in ‘10 when looking to trade our 328xi.Also tested a Boxster
Awesome cars but we realized that an S2000 was 90% of a Boxster at 50% of the overall cost
Best for our situation

Old 09-20-2018, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. I haven't driven one yet so I may feel the same way.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:24 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have owned three Porsche cars over the past 25 years. You just need to be prepared mentally and financially for $3,500 + repair bills when things go wonky with German cars. I am finally at a point in life where I can afford to maintain my 968. But as I zoom through my 50's I too am searching for an S2K for long term ownership. Primarily for the lower running costs. I considered a Z4 and a Boxster, but I spent over $10k in repairs on my BMW 330ci over 5 years (before I sold it) and am done with BMW's.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

They are too expensive to repair and maintain. The S is perfect for me.

Many of us are stricken with Porsche and BMW envy from time to time. But, we usually get over it. I've never had Miata envy.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by UpNorthMN
I have owned three Porsche cars over the past 25 years. You just need to be prepared mentally and financially for $3,500 + repair bills when things go wonky with German cars. I am finally at a point in life where I can afford to maintain my 968. But as I zoom through my 50's I too am searching for an S2K for long term ownership. Primarily for the lower running costs. I considered a Z4 and a Boxster, but I spent over $10k in repairs on my BMW 330ci over 5 years (before I sold it) and am done with BMW's.
Any idea roughly the mileage that these cars were at when they needed these repairs? Are we talking brake jobs or internal engine issues?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by rpg51
I've never had Miata envy.
Agreed, there is something about the Miata that just does not make me want one.

I don't necessarily have BMW or Porsche envy, I am just looking at cars that compare to the S.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty active in the Porsche community. It amazed me how many P car owners came from S2000s, or how many still own one. 987s are great. Gotta go for a manual 987.2 Boxster S though, otherwise I'd stick to S. As you probably know, It's more car than the S but not 2+ times as much if comparing prices. Some subtle suspension mods can make it into something pretty special though. Just be ready for maintenance costs.

Quick Reply: Have any of you considered purchasing a Boxster or Cayman instead of your S?