UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Changing out Front discs - OEM or alternatives?

Old 09-26-2018, 12:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Changing out Front discs - OEM or alternatives?

Hi all,

I'm going to attempt my front discs and pads this weekend

I've inspected the pads before so I know I can get that far, but I have never replaced the discs on any car yet so it will be a first for me haha.

I have seen the dredded 2 x screws in the discs and I do not own an impact gun.. can these come off with a good old fashioned screwdriver or will it drive me nuts?

More importantly do they actually have to be used, i.e. should I replace them with new screws?

First question then.. Discs!

Was thinking of getting OEM from cox for £125, with OEM pads for £55 ish

Then I saw someone on here recommend brakeparts international which is who I got my caliper from last time,

They do 'bremtech' discs for ridiculously cheap, 2 x fronts for around £65. Is that too good to be true? Anyone used them?

Then I guess I can just watch some videos and give it a go! Is copper grease OK for the backs of the pads or is there something else better?

Many thanks guys,
T
Old 09-26-2018, 01:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tommys2k?
Hi all,

I'm going to attempt my front discs and pads this weekend

I've inspected the pads before so I know I can get that far, but I have never replaced the discs on any car yet so it will be a first for me haha.

I have seen the dredded 2 x screws in the discs and I do not own an impact gun.. can these come off with a good old fashioned screwdriver or will it drive me nuts?

More importantly do they actually have to be used, i.e. should I replace them with new screws?

First question then.. Discs!

Was thinking of getting OEM from cox for £125, with OEM pads for £55 ish

Then I saw someone on here recommend brakeparts international which is who I got my caliper from last time,

They do 'bremtech' discs for ridiculously cheap, 2 x fronts for around £65. Is that too good to be true? Anyone used them?

Then I guess I can just watch some videos and give it a go! Is copper grease OK for the backs of the pads or is there something else better?

Many thanks guys,
T
Yes the disc screws can be a pain to remove if you don't have an impact gun / bit. You can attempt to use the correct bit (hex off the top of my head) and hammer it a few times before trying to remove it, or failing that chisel it loose. Fit new screws obviously after this. Add a dab of copper grease (just a little bit to stop it from rusting in-place).

Bremtech discs are a tried and tested combo here. I run them, and most of the forum members here with some sort of pad combination. Get a decent set of pads, brembo or ferrodo ds2500 if you drive hard. Avoid things like Eicher for example (Eurocarparts) and you will be good. You shouldn't need to copper grease the back as most decent pads come with anti-vibration shims preinstalled; Brembo for example include these. Add a dab of copper grease on the pad shoulders (the two hooks that hook on the carrier) just on the metal contacting surfaces.

Take your time and do it right the first time; its pretty simple to do. Make sure you get some brake cleaner and wipe the surfaces of your new brake discs :-)
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 AM

Received 269 Likes on 196 Posts

I only use ATE Disc / Ferodo DS performance pads since years and i am very happy with this combination. Two of my co-workers followed my advice and use this combination too. They are also very happy with this combiantion, nothing to complain.

For the screws: You can get them out with a screwdriver if you give them a few hits with a hammer first. Or use a simple, cheap hammer-driven impact driver.
Use stainless steel screws as replacement and only srcew them in lightly. Will safe you work next time. The screws only job is holding the disc in place when the wheel is removed.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Trunkz
Yes the disc screws can be a pain to remove if you don't have an impact gun / bit. You can attempt to use the correct bit (hex off the top of my head) and hammer it a few times before trying to remove it, or failing that chisel it loose. Fit new screws obviously after this. Add a dab of copper grease (just a little bit to stop it from rusting in-place).

Bremtech discs are a tried and tested combo here. I run them, and most of the forum members here with some sort of pad combination. Get a decent set of pads, brembo or ferrodo ds2500 if you drive hard. Avoid things like Eicher for example (Eurocarparts) and you will be good. You shouldn't need to copper grease the back as most decent pads come with anti-vibration shims preinstalled; Brembo for example include these. Add a dab of copper grease on the pad shoulders (the two hooks that hook on the carrier) just on the metal contacting surfaces.

Take your time and do it right the first time; its pretty simple to do. Make sure you get some brake cleaner and wipe the surfaces of your new brake discs :-)

Excellent, thanks very much for the info, think I'm going to give the Bremtechs a try! Do you coat the hub parts in anti-rust paint or anything?
Old 09-26-2018, 04:00 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I would reccomend the impact screw driver. You can get them dirt cheap on Ebay but also pop into your local tool station if you need it asap.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p90581?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=google shopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppi ngfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3KzdBRDWARIsAIJ8TMSxQ3ihqsgJU yu5E3SPHQA36BnanSRhgfJSoijatWlImybudDlxl40aAmYmEAL w_wcB

Would also need a large weighty hammer (Called a Club Hammer) to impact it as your unscrew those disc screws.
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p95360?r=googleshopping&rr=marin&utm_source=google shopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppi ngfeed&gclid=Cj0KCQjw3KzdBRDWARIsAIJ8TMSe2H7NSSHYt ABSz4IF2hEufwyLcax12QFkV8XSbfw_qjrzSZ0UncgaAjj8EAL w_wcB

I coat the screws with copper grease upon re-installation so they will never seize.

I am running Honda OEM discs and pads and the bite isnt that great. I suppose its ok for normal road driving.

Will be changing the pads to ferodo DS2500 soon. Had these on my 1999 Prelude 2.2vti and were epic.
They dust alot though.
Kicking myself as to why I didnt go for the ds2500 when I did my brake overhaul.

Good luck with the discs/pads change, let us know how you get on.

Last edited by s2000_f20; 09-26-2018 at 04:04 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:06 AM

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Do you coat the hub parts in anti-rust paint or anything?
You can give them a quick coat of hammerite black paint if you wanted.
But if you take the car to track or drive pretty hard the coat will burn away.

Stop-tech and few other expensive discs come with a special coating to the hub and disc edges.
Old 09-26-2018, 04:39 AM

Well, thanks all -

I've bitten the bullet and gone for the Bremtech front discs from brakes international. Good price and seems to be very good reviews on this forum about them, and I've just gone with OEM pads for the moment.

If I end up doing any track days next year I'll just upgrade them as and when

The only good thing is that I know my front discs were changed fairly recently (before I bought the car) as the previous owner did a trackday on new-ish discs which is when they felt warped/all sorts. So maybe, just maybe, the screws will play ball. We shall see! That's my Saturday sorted, hopefully I won't break anything.
Old 09-26-2018, 05:19 AM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Need to remove caliper carriers also btw
Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Tommys2k, whereabouts are you based? I'm Nottingham way with an impact driver and can probably loan you it for a bit to get the discs off if it would help
Old 09-26-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 343 Likes on 320 Posts

Just use a center punch..