Cars for Sale Cars, new and used for sale.
Mark this thread as Unsold

GA:2001 Grand Prix White S2000 - Rebuilt Title - Owned since 2010

Old 10-10-2018, 12:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default GA:2001 Grand Prix White S2000 - Rebuilt Title - Owned since 2010

First Name: Zak
Price: $8900 OBO
Condition: 105k Miles, Rebuilt Title, See Below
VIN: JHMAP11431T001911

Intro:

I'm selling a 2001 GPW S2000. It has a rebuilt title. It has already had some big ticket items completed, such as a new clutch at 75k, a new robbins cloth top with glass rear window a couple of years ago and nearly new tires. Not to mention this one looks beautiful with the white and red color combination. This one offers a lot of fun for the money and looks fantastic doing it.

Description:

We have owned it since 2010 and it has been an extra car and been driven on nice days. It is my uncle's car and he is a 65 year old physician. It has some of the classic S2000 3rd market accessories from back in the day like Rick's S badges and the larger windscreen deflector. It also has a carbon fiber trim kit as was also popular back when the cars came out for those of you that remember. It also has a leather center tunnel cover from an 02-03.

It comes with maintenance records dating back to 2007 from when the prior owner purchased the car from a dealer. There are more records on its Carfax history. Included records include a body inspection at the time of the prior owner's purchase verifying no frame damage. Also noteworthy are that the clutch was replaced at 75k and that both the 60k and 90k services have been completed. 60k was done around 63k miles by the prior owner and we did the 90k service when we bought it and haven't had any issues aside from oil changes. Instead of patching the top we replaced it with a cloth robbins top with glass rear window a couple of years ago. The bolster was also looking a little worn and someone had dyed it, which we didn't like, so we repaired it and also refreshed the upper and lower bolsters while it was at the upholstery shop. The tie rods were replaced at 92k miles. It includes two keys and one key fob that has seen better days. I can source a couple replacements fobs if desired.

Ownership History:

1st owner in KY put 3k miles on it over 2 years. Sold in 2003.
2nd owner in GA purchased it and it was later totalled under his/her ownership in late 2005 at around 28k miles.
Vehicle was sold at an insurance auction late 2005 and rebuilt in early 2006.
3rd owner purchased it in early 2006 in FL and added about 25k miles. He traded it in around 52k miles.
4th owner purchased it from a dealer in late 2007 with 53k miles and drove it until we purchased it from him. He was in his 50s.
We purchased in late 2011 with 98k miles. We have put about 7k miles on it over the last 7 years and it sits at just over 105k.

Rebuilt History:

We do not know the details of the damage from when it was salvaged. I am not a body guy, but I know how to look at things pretty decently. The trunk and rear bumper have been replaced and the rear quarter shows evidence of damage, across the rear. Getting underneath the rear of the car, I don't see any repair work to the tool well, and I do see some minor work on the passenger side near the bumper reinforcement. There appears to be no work on the driver's side bumper reinforcement. From pulling the trunk lining, the tail light brackets are have slight bends from the impact. Based on these bands and the reinforcement underneath, the damage to the rear must have been relatively shallow. The tail lights have both been replaced with 02-03 lights, meaning they were both damaged.

On the front end, the hood and driver's fender are original. The front passenger fender was replaced, as there is no VIN sticker on it and there is a slight misalignment of the headlight. That said, given that the hood and driver's fenders are original and that I'm not sure about the details of the front end damage. The radiator supports are straight and the front rails don't look like they have had any repair work done. The extent of the prior damage to the passenger side is hard to see without the eyes of a professional.

Also noteworthy is that the car was at some point equipped with a hardtop, as the brushes are trimmed for catchers. You will see an not actual mileage on the Carfax. I believe the mileage is actual, as when a vehicle is purchased at auction it always runs the risk of being reported as a non-working odometer due to the nature of the auctions and insurance companies. (see iaai.com for details) From seeing the maintenance records and mileage history on the Carfax, you can conclude that the mileage is correct. If it is not correct, then that means the car has less miles than indicated.

Why was it it totalled?

Georgia is a Total Loss Formula State. Back in 2006, wholesale value for an 2001 with 30k miles and prior paintwork was around 16k. Just the OEM price for the front and rear bumper covers, front fender, rear quarter panels, headlights, tail lights, tail light frame, trunk lid, third brake light comes out to over $6000. Supporting parts such as bumper beams, absorbers, fender lining, splash guards, replacement badges, brackets, grommets, and other hardware would be another $1500-2000. Now add labor and paint to the cost of parts and you are easily in the 10-12k range if not higher. This is without any underlying structural issues.

TLF means that the insurance company will look at the ACV (which is typically wholesale price) and then add the cost of repairs to the salvage value. If this total exceeds the ACV, the car is totalled. Trucks and sports cars carry higher residual values in insurance auctions than standard vehicles. On top of this, vehicles that are easily repairable go for more than vehicles that aren't. In this scenario, my best guess is that the ACV was around 16k, the repair estimate came in between 11-12k, and that the salvage value was at least $6000-7000 considering the driveline is good and it only had 32k miles at the time. The estimate + salvage (18k) was almost definitely above the ACV (16k), which would establish a total loss. If the car had a hardtop at that time, then the salvage value was higher. That is my best guess as to why it was totalled.

Anyone interested is welcome to have a local body shop inspect the car before purchase.

_
  • New top (2 years, garaged since installed) with a glass rear window.
  • Upgraded Stereo - Alpine headunit with MB Quart tweeters and Infinity headrest speakers. Dash controls work. iPod compatible.
  • Clutch was replaced at 75k miles by the previous owner. No clutch buzz.
  • Nearly new Continental DW tires were put on within the last couple thousand miles along with an alignment.
  • The driver's side upper and lower bolsters were reupholstered and look great. See photos.
  • Transmission has no known issues. 60k service done at 63k miles.
  • Drivetrain has no known issues. 90k service done at 98k miles.
  • No known rust issues. Paint is great except for front bumper.
  • Interior is in excellent shape for the mileage.
Known issues:
  • Front bumper could use a repaint. See photos.
  • As noted, the front fender is slightly misaligned from the headlight and bumper. Looks fine at 5 feet.
Pricing

I am interested in getting a reasonably fair value from the S2000. It is a great color combination and all the big ticket items have been replaced, so it is going to be a great deal for someone. I'm not out to squeeze every last dollar out of it, nor am I interested in being low-balled. I've set the price because the forum requires a price be set. We already have replaced it with a new Miata and the S2000 is now just waiting for a new home, so make an offer if you are interested.

I've done my best to describe it as best as I can, as I know the concerns and considerations when buying a rebuilt title car (I bought this one for him in 2011!). Any other questions, feel free to ask. Thanks.

Photos:

Last edited by JacquesHaugh; 10-10-2018 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Location in Title.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you please PM me photos. Thank you
Old 10-10-2018, 04:34 PM

If a mod could help me add GA: to the title I would appreciate it. Advanced Editor will not allow it.

Originally Posted by 06_typeS
Can you please PM me photos. Thank you
I can PM you photos once I've taken them later this week once Michael passes, yes.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:41 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Updated the thread title.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:29 PM

Updated the description and added photos.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:36 PM

Serviced this weekend and then taken to Honda today, bill of health is clean. Description updated.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:47 PM

This is now on eBay with no reserve. Motivated to sell before November. PM with any questions.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m local to you and interested. Sending you a PM now.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:02 PM

Sold on eBay. Thanks.