S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

The collector car transition has started

Old 10-17-2018, 06:53 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts
Default The collector car transition has started

Right on schedule, the collector car market is seeing the biggest value increases in cars from the '80s and '90s as younger enthusiasts start to collect the cars of their childhood. We are not talking about big dollar cars, but the values of some of these cars have doubled and tripled in the past year or two. So while a jump in price from $10K to $15K may not seem like much to get excited about in terms of absolute dollars, the market watches the percentage increases very closely.

More recently, the market has seen the values of what were some of the most popular collector cars stall out and even fall. Most of those cars are from the 40s, 50s, 60s, and 70s. They include four of my favorites.

The Boomer generation is aging. Their appetite for collector cars is waning and many are reducing their collections. Those tempted to buy now may want to wait a bit. I think prices for the former darlings of the market will be falling soon.

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...17_HagertyNews
Old 10-18-2018, 04:09 AM

Received 3,804 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Yes I watch the market closely and have noticed inventory isn’t moving like it once was. In particular the air cooled Porsche market has been nuts particularly 930’s with most bringing 6 figures but lately they seem to be not selling.
I was looking at mgbs on craigslist and noticed they are still affordable and got to thinking they have never really had their “day in the sun” in the collector car market none of the British let land cars have could be due to the large value that were produced.
I’m seeing an uptick in 70’s and 80’performance cars esp. trans ams from the 70’s and fox body mustangs from the 80,s.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by robb
Yes I watch the market closely and have noticed inventory isn’t moving like it once was. In particular the air cooled Porsche market has been nuts particularly 930’s with most bringing 6 figures but lately they seem to be not selling.
I was looking at mgbs on craigslist and noticed they are still affordable and got to thinking they have never really had their “day in the sun” in the collector car market none of the British let land cars have could be due to the large value that were produced.
I’m seeing an uptick in 70’s and 80’performance cars esp. trans ams from the 70’s and fox body mustangs from the 80,s.
And those post-smog cars were, for the most part, not very good. It really is more about what the buyers remember from their youth.
Old 10-18-2018, 06:25 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

I read that Hagerty article yesterday and thought, "Yes! The collector car market is finally coming to me...a man of modest means who will never own a Ferrari or a 60s GTO"
Old 10-18-2018, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by tof
I read that Hagerty article yesterday and thought, "Yes! The collector car market is finally coming to me...a man of modest means who will never own a Ferrari or a 60s GTO"
Well, there was a time that the market for the GTOs and even the Ferraris was quite reasonable. I have old copies of Road and Track with private party ads in the back trying to sell very desirable Ferraris for $5,000. And old GTOs? I remember when restored versions were being offered for $15K. There is always some newly emerging segment of the market that is reasonable "at the moment." I remember old Porsche 911s going for $5 - $10,000 in pretty good shape back in the 1990s and early 2000s. I looked at a bunch of 1973 911s (my favorite year) and never pulled the trigger. Big mistake!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:07 AM

Received 3,804 Likes on 3,029 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
Well, there was a time that the market for the GTOs and even the Ferraris was quite reasonable. I have old copies of Road and Track with private party ads in the back trying to sell very desirable Ferraris for $5,000. And old GTOs? I remember when restored versions were being offered for $15K. There is always some newly emerging segment of the market that is reasonable "at the moment." I remember old Porsche 911s going for $5 - $10,000 in pretty good shape back in the 1990s and early 2000s. I looked at a bunch of 1973 911s (my favorite year) and never pulled the trigger. Big mistake!
Same here on the 911’s I came THIS close to buying a 73.5 911t in the early 2000’s. They wanted 8500 for it and I gave them an offer after I had the car checked out but a buyer who had looked at it before me ended up offering them the full 8500.
As far as Ferrari gto’s back in the 60’s when teams were done racing them nobody wanted them one actually ended up being donated to a high school shop class! Now even if you have 50 million to spend on one you have to be lucky enough to find a buyer who wants to sell one. I believe off of the top of my head there are 36 left.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:29 AM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
As far as Ferrari gto’s back in the 60’s when teams were done racing them nobody wanted them one actually ended up being donated to a high school shop class! Now even if you have 50 million to spend on one you have to be lucky enough to find a buyer who wants to sell one. I believe off of the top of my head there are 36 left.
Well, I was talking Pontiac GTO but yeah. They may have been give-away rollers at one time but by the time I could afford to get a cheap one into good running condition, they were already far, far from cheap.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

Apparently the 62-64 250 GTO is no fun to drive. They say steering is very hard and so it requires a very large radius steering wheel; suspension is stiff and primitive by almost any standard, and they rattle when driven. They belong in a museum, just sitting there looking beautiful. The knockoffs are supposedly easier to drive.

It’s a beautiful design. I have all the versions on my office shelf in 1/18 scale, and a book that traces and pictures all 33 of the earlier ones.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

I prefer the 250 California SB.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:48 AM
Former Moderator

Received 610 Likes on 373 Posts

That’s a convertible, right? Short wheelbase? I used to know...

Quick Reply: The collector car transition has started