S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Turn Signals Blown

Old 11-20-2018, 07:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turn Signals And Hazards Blown HELP

After a lengthy wire harness tuck(battery to trunk, fuse box to passenger footwel, EPS to fender) a few things have blown.

Keep in mind I had to extend all the wires for the passenger side harness (fans, EPS, turn signals, abs, ect...)
After completing the wire tuck, my turn signals worked fine except they have always hyper blinked due to the LED bulb, but it was never a problem prior to the wire tuck.

I hit a nasty pothole and the tire rubbed against the harness, but there’s tons of electrical tape and looming so no sign of destroyed wires.

Decided to test the fuses for the hazards and the turn signals and none work. I had perfectly working spare 10A and 7.5A fuse, replaced the hazard fuse, and it clicked and blew immediately after pressing the hazard button. Same for the turn signals.

Couple of things:
1) I had to extend the wire for the pass. turn signal twice (soldered in two diff. places with 16gauge). Would this affect anything?
2) Does the fact that there’s no resistor for the LED turn signals cause fuses to blow?

Im gonna pick up a resistor today and see if it could be culprit. But I also know resistance increases with the length and gauge of wire. Since I extended the turn signals, you’d think it would be equivalent of adding a resistor but inverse happened and I believe it’s seeing too much amperage to blow fuses immediately as it did.

Last edited by landapanda; 11-20-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Title
Old 11-20-2018, 07:52 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Blown fuses would indicate short(s). Since you did a re-wiring (complete?) --- you are prolly going to need to do a methodical continuity and short tests of the problem lines. I'd start with how you wired the fuse and relay boxes.

Good luck! Electrical problems can be such a pain. Requiring lots of patience.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Blown fuses would indicate short(s). Since you did a re-wiring (complete?) --- you are prolly going to need to do a methodical continuity and short tests of the problem lines. I'd start with how you wired the fuse and relay boxes.

Good luck! Electrical problems can be such a pain. Requiring lots of patience.
How would I do either test? Would I need a multimeter? It sucks cause I just looked and taped everything off lol
Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 AM

Received 1,193 Likes on 926 Posts

You will definitely want a meter for this as it will help with the troubleshooting.

Unplug the rear harness and the harness (I think there are two for the front) feeding the fronts and use the meter to determine where the short is. Then focus on that harness from there.

I first typed up a whole troubleshooting list, but remembered that method would need to be done with the circuit powered due to the flasher relay and may be harder to explain quickly here.