S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Have any accident follow up tips?

Old 12-10-2018, 08:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default .

Last edited by isthisusernameavailable; 12-21-2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

1) get a dash cam and go back in time
2) you should have taken photos before moving the cars, I hope you did
3) write down a narrative of the accident and any conversation with the other driver. Sign and date it
4) if they hit you, try to pursue it first through their insurance company before your own. Report it to your company, but tell them the other driver was 100% at fault and you are going to pursue it through their insurer. If their insurer takes responsibility, get a rental and pursue a diminished value claim. Pm me for more info
5) find the top ranked body shops on Google and yelp. Callthem and see who has the most advanced laser alignment frame straighteners, they can check for frame damage as part of the evaluation. If there is any hint of a bent frame, bitch to the insurance company, they will often total it due to potential repair costs.
6) if things aren't going your way, get legal consultation
The following users liked this post:
Zer0ne (12-10-2018)
Old 12-11-2018, 03:00 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

My accident was apraised at 5.3k, and that was just replace door, fender, mirror, no body damage, disassembly and paint blend hood, rocker, & both bumpers. The rear deck moulding has to be removed to paint the quarters, which requires softtop removal in order to remove the moulding.

you add in the rear quarter or rocker repair you are looking at quite a bit more...

Old 12-11-2018, 08:36 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

Never deal with the other guy's insurance company. Ain't your job. Deal with yours, get the car repaired to your standards, and let your insurance company get reimbursed from the other company. This is why you buy insurance. You'll pay your deductible until they recover their expenses from the other party.

-- Chuck
Old 12-11-2018, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Never deal with the other guy's insurance company. Ain't your job. Deal with yours, get the car repaired to your standards, and let your insurance company get reimbursed from the other company. This is why you buy insurance. You'll pay your deductible until they recover their expenses from the other party.

-- Chuck
this is bad advice. use the other persons insurance - as you have no guarantee that your insurance company will remediate and not raise your rates.

Higher your own private appraiser, and present the appraisal to the other persons insurance adhuster/appraiser when they come to asses the vehicle.

At the very least wait until the investigation of fault is complete before deciding which company to go through. Some of thia is going to vary by state. for example. In my state I can choose the repair shop with either insurance. I also have the right to determine parts quality. ie my car had grade a condition parts, grade a or better used parts availability within the state or county qualifies me to utilize oem replacements.

Where as the last state i lived in repairs had to be made by in network shops and parts quality is determined by insurance company. So using your own in these startes to get it repaired how you want it can be a necessity. Be smart, know your state laws and what you are actually paying for.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:52 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I don't insure with 2d or 3d rate insurance companies like you just described. My insurance handles the entire transaction start to finish to my specifications.

-- Chuck
Old 12-11-2018, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I don't insure with 2d or 3d rate insurance companies like you just described. My insurance handles the entire transaction start to finish to my specifications.

-- Chuck
pretty sure most of the world has this 2nd rate insurance you speak of, otherwise the OP likely wouldn't be asking these questions. Chuck I normally like your posts, but you've gotta accept there are people with different laws in different states, and even availability of types of insurance. which is what I was trying to point out.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:53 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

If you get the other party to admit liability, lawyer up, they will make sure you're taken care of, because they stand to make money off the other person's insurance.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by isthisusernameavailable
> ...apraised at 5.3k
Deckoz, thanks for sharing pics. Ouch! Similar hit here, but less deep/severe with mirror intact, but sounds like my first guesstimate is low.

Hope yours has been all restored to satisfaction.

​​​​​​I just painted mine last night, and will be color sanding this evening. and hopefully reassembling by the weekend

Anyway, if your door got hit at all, the internal crash bars are bent, so the door cannot be reskinned. Even if your crash bars arenta bent. its better to replace the door as the seam sealer beads will never look as good. If at all possible for your rear quarter repair if you dont have the quarter replaced, id suggest the car be stripped and the quarter pressed out, instead of drilling/spotweld/slide hammer.

do you have any pictures of your rear quarter?
Old 12-12-2018, 04:21 PM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by isthisusernameavailable
Does anyone have a favorite dash cam solution that can also pick up some footage for impacts coming from the side?
Anyone using multiple cameras?
You don't have to see the car that hit you to tell whos at fault. The dash cam let's you see where your car was(in the lane) when it got hit.
I've been hit four times(in my ORT) and my dash cam proved the other drivers were at fault every time even though you can't see the other cars in the video.

ROD