S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Value of repainted s2000

Old 12-11-2018, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Value of repainted s2000

I'm in the market for another s2000. I came across one that has been repainted a different factory color. Everything was done expect the engine bay. So lets say for an example:

'06 with 50k miles is worth 20k

'06 with 50k miles repainted is worth...?

Just trying to get an idea what a good offer on my part would be.

Last edited by PawnShop23; 12-11-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:43 PM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

A few more variables are out there. Was it repainted for just a color change or were there other body repairs needed? I'd ask to see receipts. To me, a respray shouldn't devalue a car if it was professionally done by a reputable shop using quality paint and wasn't the result of damage or rust repair. Yeah, I am sure there are a lot of people out there who can lay a good coat of paint in a home booth but you just don't know for sure. What devalues the car is getting a Maaco paint job or having no proof of what was done. If I was looking at the car and the guy said he had his uncle repaint it, I would likely not be interested even if he may have been Mauricio from JDM Legends, unbeknownst to me.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 12-11-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by PawnShop23
I'm in the market for another s2000. I came across one that has been repainted a different factory color. Everything was done expect the engine bay. So lets say for an example:

'06 with 50k miles is worth 20k

'06 with 50k miles repainted is worth...?

Just trying to get an idea what a good offer on my part would be.
Maybe 1k less for the bay being the wrong color and the body panel vin tags most likely being covered up.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:50 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Quality of the paint job is really important here. What color was it and what color is it now? Another thing to consider if paint matching it in the future could be a pain depending on the color. The engine bay being a different color would bug me unless it was black.
Old 12-11-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
A few more variables are out there. Was it repainted for just a color change or were there other body repairs needed? I'd ask to see receipts. To me, a respray shouldn't devalue a car if it was professionally done by a reputable shop using quality paint and wasn't the result of damage or rust repair. Yeah, I am sure there are a lot of people out there who can lay a good coat of paint in a home booth but you just don't know for sure. What devalues the car is getting a Maaco paint job or having no proof of what was done. If I was looking at the car and the guy said he had his uncle repaint it, I would likely not be interested even if he may have been Mauricio from JDM Legends, unbeknownst to me.
From my understanding, they just wanted a different color. No body repair was needed and it appears to have been done at a reputable paint shop.
Old 12-12-2018, 12:48 AM

Received 1,553 Likes on 922 Posts

Well it goes without saying that stock cars have the highest value. It is no longer stock.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:14 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If it’s a garage queen then it gets devalued but a regular low mileage vehicle then it shouldn’t affect it by much if it’s clean. Different bay color would bother me though
Old 12-12-2018, 06:10 AM

Received 1,129 Likes on 992 Posts

I don't like the story but then I'd never spend a couple thousand dollars for a halfassed paint job just 'cuz I wanted a different exterior color. Door jambs? Trunk interior?

Walk away. There are still lots of cars out there. You'll regret this purchase every time you check the oil and probably never raise the hood in public.

None of this applies, though, if you intend to race the car, lower it, roll the fenders, put safety-green wheels on it, etc.

-- Chuck
Old 12-12-2018, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I don't like the story but then I'd never spend a couple thousand dollars for a halfassed paint job just 'cuz I wanted a different exterior color. Door jambs? Trunk interior?

Walk away. There are still lots of cars out there. You'll regret this purchase every time you check the oil and probably never raise the hood in public.

None of this applies, though, if you intend to race the car, lower it, roll the fenders, put safety-green wheels on it, etc.

-- Chuck
The door jams, trunk were painted and engine bay is black. I'm just looking for a fun toy on the weekends. I forgot to mention it's a CR, which is why I'm even considering the car.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:53 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

It being a CR changes things quite a bit. It had better be a really good deal because the repaint would seriously effect the value of a CR. What color did they paint it? Is it an OEM CR color or something else?

Quick Reply: Value of repainted s2000