UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Prospective New Owner - Help needed please

Old 01-17-2019, 12:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prospective New Owner - Help needed please

I am sorry if this isn’t the right place to be posting this but after having many problems with cars in the past I am asking for help with my prospective purchase of an S2000, 2003 model.
I am wondering if anyone lives/works in Kent, mainly Gillingham area that would be able to look at a car with me so that I don’t make the same mistakes as before, mainly going after the thing I want without proper knowledge of what is wrong, I have read the FAQs and lots of YouTube videos and made lots of notes by the way.
The car I am interested in has a small hole in the soft-top, has some small bubbles on the rear arch and I’ve been told that the exhaust hangers need adjusting/tightening but I don’t know what he means by this as the hangers don’t move.
I have looked into the hood and found prices from £330 (Jack Smith) but that’s a 456 mile round trip for me to £950 more local.
The car looks standard from the photos he has sent me and I have done a Car Checker check and found it failed two MOTs in the past, had 6 owners and is clear other than that. The V5 says it is a GT model, variant 1, version 2 but I don’t know what this means. The check also says there may be a Honda recall, something to do with brakes.
The car has 108k miles on it and he wants £6400.

Can anyone help me please?

Best wishes,
Paul

Hole in roof

Rust on rear arch

Rust on same rear arch
Old 01-17-2019, 01:14 AM

By the way, it already has the Billmans TCT fitted
Old 01-17-2019, 04:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Paul,
The GT is the version that includes the hardtop. Most owners never fit it and sell it off, sometimes they remove the fitting kit. Lower the roof and look just behind the drivers right shoulder, there should be a hole for the spike and a socket for the heated screen.

It is normal for the roof to wear in that place, you can wrap the arms of the softop in lizardskins (I got mine from halfords). This prevents the metal chafing the roof.
Check out carhood warehouse or monsoon for a new roof, they offer a discount for S2kUK members. Pobably closer to you than jack smiths.
Rusty rear arches is becoming more frequent on older cars, budget about 5-600 per side to repair. Depending if you know a good bodyshop, you might get it cheaper.
Yes, the exhaust hangers are fixed so not sure what they mean.
Biggest thing to check is that it has had a 4 wheel alignment done recently, the bolts for the trailing arms seize and stop it from being adjusted. This can cost up to 1k per corner to remedy.
Old 01-17-2019, 05:07 AM

Thanks very much for your reply to my post. I contacted Car Hood Warehouse I believe but I definitely contacted Monsoon as they are really close but I didn’t know they offer discount but is that only to paid members of this forum?
I have a good friend that knows a bodyshop guy very well so hopefully I can have it looked at quickly and cheaply.
He said the last owner had the alignment looked at but he doesn’t know about the valve clearances and he has shown me a photo of lots of receipts and that he would take an offer/money off for the repairs, how much money though will be my question.
Is there a way of checking if the trail arms are seized?
If it doesn’t have the hardtop having this hole for the spike, doesn’t this allow water in?
Thank you for all your advice
Old 01-17-2019, 05:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Paul,
Simplest method of checking for seized bushes is to get a 4 wheel alignment done. This will tell you if you have any seized.
The holes are inside to allow the hardtop to latch to the car, they will not let any water in, the softop covers this area when it is up.

This forum and the UK club are 2 different entities, head over to S2kuk.com and join. Membership is about £15 but you might get a discount for a half year.
There are loads of discounts available when you are a member, plus the club lays on hospitality at specific events. Silverstone Classic is a great event to go to, last year we got to do a parade lap with 45 S2k's on track.
The club organises loads of meets/events, checkout the thread for megameet in wales later this year. Amazing roads and great crack with the other members.
You have just missed the registration for Euromeet, s2k clubs from all over europe meet in Italy for a gathering and drive through the hill where the car was developed.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:25 AM

I will join this if I can get this car or something similar soon.
Not being funny but can I get discount on hoods without paying for the subscription
Old 01-18-2019, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stormsure stuff will sort that hole out, do it from inside
Old 01-18-2019, 03:14 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I tried that stuff et al. What's stood the test of time along with multiple roof ups/downs was me just sowing thread to bring the edges together then applying clear window sealant, it dries forming a supple finish.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:20 AM

Thanks guys.
Anyone in the Gillingham/Rainham area that knows there S2000’s that can help me look at it?
Old 01-18-2019, 05:27 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

I think you can easily find a better car. Remember any used car has been discarded by the previous owner. This one probably due to rust and the need to replace the roof.

The car is not a GT unless the hard top is included. Maybe it was a GT but ain't now.

Rust is insidious on any car and matching paint can be difficult. If there's visible rust in the rear wheel arches I'm guessing the entire underside of the car to include the suspension and drive line is a solid mass of rust.

This car is in the 2000-2003 model year range, the first generation. If you've been doing your homework you'll recall Honda made major improvements in 2004 and again in 2006. Nice to have the entire 9 year production range available.

Good luck. Don't make this an emotional purchase and have buyers regret 'cuz you went cheap. Eat bag lunches until summer if necessary to increase your available cash.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Prospective New Owner - Help needed please