S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Whining/Squealing Sound from Rear

Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whining/Squealing Sound from Rear

Hey guys, not sure if this is the correct section (mods please move if not), but I have an '01 AP1 that sits in the garage for most of its life. I've recently taken possession of it and have been fixing all the little issues and maintenance since I've had it. The car originally has been battling with a whining/squealing sound, something similar to a bad wheel bearing coming from the rear driver side. I've done some digging and found a thread about the rear axle nuts not being torqued as high as it should from factory, and applied that fix to see if it would solve my issue... And it did!

However, after driving a few days, I've noticed another sound that's speed dependent and only happens when I accelerate. When I let off the gas or cruise in gear or neutral, the sound goes away. It only happens when I apply throttle and gets louder/faster the faster I go. It sounds like it's coming from the differential, but I'm not too sure. Any ideas what I should look for?

Background info:
- 120K miles
- Rear axle nuts re-torqed
- Trans/Diff fluid replaced 6 months ago with Honda MTF & Mobile 1 75-90 diff fluid (car has been driving <500 miles since then)
Old 01-17-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 559 Likes on 391 Posts

Just because you re-torqued the rear axle nuts doesn't mean that the damage hasn't already been done.

It's a crappy video, but wheel bearing failure sound from my s2k.

Old 01-17-2019, 11:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bullwings
Just because you re-torqued the rear axle nuts doesn't mean that the damage hasn't already been done.

It's a crappy video, but wheel bearing failure sound from my s2k.

Yeah, the re-torquing of the axle nuts was a temporary, process of elimination type of fix. I wanted to see how it effected the symptoms and it seemed to have relieved it... However the sound I'm hearing now is coming from a more central location instead of closer to the wheel. Although I'm keeping a watchful eye on the wheel bearing/sounds, I'm somewhat stump since this is a new sound.