S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Hood exit question

Old 01-17-2019, 02:48 PM

Received 74 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Hood exit question

Is this ever a problem when it rains? Thinking about routing my dumptube out the hood but afraid water will get in especially in a storm like we just had here in socal
Old 01-17-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why not just exit under the car? It seems ridiculous.
Old 01-17-2019, 03:46 PM

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

If you park outside, yes. But mainly, all you are going to smell is your exhaust while you drive if top or windows are down....plus YOU will smell like exhaust once you get out of your car
Old 01-17-2019, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by MARK AUS S2K
Why not just exit under the car? It seems ridiculous.
the way its routed dumping down by the oil pan it keeps breaking with all the vibration from aftermarket motor mounts, weight of the dt, and/or fireballs. If i dump it out the hood the pipe will only be 2-3" which in theory shouldnt break...plus the dump only opens when in boost so the smell shouldnt be too bad until im wot.

plus it already smells like shit from my exhaust since its just a straight 3" pipe all the way thru. Cant stand it every time i come to a stop so now i come to a stop very slowly and gradually so all the fumes remain behind the car and doesnt blow past my car and in thru the windows when i make a hard stop
Old 01-17-2019, 05:33 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Probably not a good idea exiting out the hood with the new no fix-a-ticket CA exhaust law. That’s just asking for trouble, LOL.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by soulicious
Probably not a good idea exiting out the hood with the new no fix-a-ticket CA exhaust law. That’s just asking for trouble, LOL.
"liked". But **** ab1824...cant even source a stock ap2 exhaust so yea...**** it.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:17 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Mijae007
the way its routed dumping down by the oil pan it keeps breaking with all the vibration from aftermarket motor mounts, weight of the dt, and/or fireballs. If i dump it out the hood the pipe will only be 2-3" which in theory shouldnt break...plus the dump only opens when in boost so the smell shouldnt be too bad until im wot.

plus it already smells like shit from my exhaust since its just a straight 3" pipe all the way thru. Cant stand it every time i come to a stop so now i come to a stop very slowly and gradually so all the fumes remain behind the car and doesnt blow past my car and in thru the windows when i make a hard stop
Have you considered having a titanium dt made? Super duper light. LHT did it in one of their videos with dual waste gates. They opted not to affix it to anything because the tubes were so light. Another option would be to add a tab to the tube and brace it somewhere on the block and use a small bushing as a damper. But yeah as another person said above it seems like it's the fastest route to $1000 you've ever spent, lol.

But, if you DO choose to go that route I'd just get some kind of silicone cap to put over the tube when you know there's going to be a crazy downpour. My ultimate vote though would be to have a titanium dump tube made.

Edit: You people are brave running straight exhausts in California lol.....let alone in general. I'm going to be running a test pipe myself, but if it reeks that'll be the quickest thing getting swapped out ever lol. I ran a catless downpipe on my STi and I couldn't stand it.........It made windows-down driving unbearable and all of my clothes would be permeated with the stink of gasoline......And yes, the car was professionally dyno tuned. I call bullshit every time someone comes along and says their catless setup doesn't ever smell....

Last edited by Kyle; 01-17-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:20 AM

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I went with titanium dump pipes because it is very lightweight(less stress/vibrations/less chance of it cracking) plus gives wastegate exhaust a sharper more unique sound imo
Old 01-18-2019, 09:15 AM

oooooh titanium dumptubes, you guys are so smart. i can always rely on s2ki for advice lol. But, i just ordered a spoon hood gonna do a hood exit. and @Kyle yes, test pipe is gonna smell no matter what. You end up just dealing with it and live with the fact youre probably cutting days off your life inhaling that shit...but hp makes me happy. you can go with a high flow cat but you'll probably end up blowing out all the catalyst in a matter of months. I wonder if it would be a good idea to retrofit something like a porsche 911 turbo catalytic converter into our exhaust system....probably cost an arm and a leg but might give the flow we desire without the smell.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

The great Hexit debate has started!

Quick Reply: Hood exit question