S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Help with Catalyst readiness after rolling back to stock flash....

Old 02-04-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help with Catalyst readiness after rolling back to stock flash....

Hi All,
I flashed my 2007 S2000 back to stock with my FlashPro about two weeks ago and it is still stuck waiting for the "Catalyst monitor" to be ready. I have done around 200-225 miles of driving since the flash, followed the procedure in service manual and read every single thread here on the subject.
The only mods is a K&H filter and Berk 70mm HFC. Both of these mods did not cause this in the past, so I'm loosing my mind on how to fix this issue.
I don't have have my stock cat anymore (stolen), so I'm wondering if I should replace the Berk cat with new CARB approved cat (like the Magnaflow) and fresh sensor. Any suggestion?
Old 02-04-2019, 09:11 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Did you unlock the Flashpro from the car? I logged a lot of miles doing pretty much exactly what you did and fairly sure unlocking it from the car is what allowed readiness sensors to trip (all theory but I drove a LOT). Once it did clear readiness, it gave a code for my HFC "catalyst not within spec" but i just stuck my stock cat back on and that's entirely different story.

Also for Catalyst and Evap you need a nice long highway drive. My commute to work seems to trips these readiness codes reliabley and it's 15 mins mixed driving then 25 miles on a highway.

Last edited by lookstoomuch; 02-04-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
Did you unlock the Flashpro from the car? I logged a lot of miles doing pretty much exactly what you did and fairly sure unlocking it from the car is what allowed readiness sensors to trip (all theory but I drove a LOT).
I'm willing give that a shot tonight as I'm out of ideas. The Evap readiness came up quickly, in just under a 100 miles, so this is why I'm pulling my hair out. I'll report back either way.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:54 PM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Yep, unlock the Flashpro. I was having this same issue while getting my car ready for smog.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had trouble getting the readiness code to set after re-flashing back to the OEM tune, but did not unlock the flashpro. What finally got it to set was about 10-15 minutes of stop & go driving up to about 45 mph. I guess my typical daily routine doesn't ever meet the proper criteria (mostly 75 mph freeway, very little time spent moving under 60 mph). FWIW: this is with a HFC also.
Old 02-08-2019, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by AnnDee4444
I had trouble getting the readiness code to set after re-flashing back to the OEM tune, but did not unlock the flashpro. What finally got it to set was about 10-15 minutes of stop & go driving up to about 45 mph. I guess my typical daily routine doesn't ever meet the proper criteria (mostly 75 mph freeway, very little time spent moving under 60 mph). FWIW: this is with a HFC also.
I think I'm the opposite of you. I live 10 minutes from work and it's all stop and go. However, I have driven a few 20-25mile highway jaunts in the last few days. Tomorrow is my day off, so I think I'm going to wake up early and go for a super long drive before traffic starts piling up and slowing me down. I'm up to 300 miles now since the re-flash to stock and 100 miles since I unlocked the flash pro. I hope this works soon and I don't get a CEL immediately afterward. I got a week left before I have to get my car smogged.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:08 AM

Hi All,
I finally passed smog this morning, but I want to share my thoughts for anyone else who finds this thread in the future.

Firstly, I got the catalyst ready at 700 miles and then immediately got a P0420. I pulled the Berk HFC and it was clearly trashed after only about 20 months/15K miles of normal street driving (no track days). After I replaced it with a CARB compliant Maganflow Cat and a new denso sensor, the monitors came up rather quickly (~100-150 miles with ~5-7 cold starts).

My conclusions are:
1. The "Catalyst Readiness" monitor seems to be the last test run (at least with my car). If you follow the procedure in this link exactly as stated and the Catalyst monitor is not coming up after 150-200 miles (or ~6-7 cold starts), then there is something wrong with the Cat/sensor. There is a lot of misinformation on getting the monitors ready. All other procedures outside the service manual are bullshit. Don't waste your time trying any other procedures or driving around hoping it will come up.
2. Many people claim to get a long life out if a Berk HFC and are able to pass smog (good for them). My mechanic said the Berk's are hit or miss and clearly mine was a miss. Hang on to your stock cat if it is still good. "You get what you pay for" is very true with cheap cats.
3. The MagnaFlow CARB approve Catalytic Converters are apparently made of unobtainium. Websites show them in stock, but then they cancel your order a few days later. Seriously, I tried to order this MagnaFlow Cat seven times! I eventually contacted MagnaFlow directly to track down a reputable dealer who would actually wanted to sell me one.

FYI, the Magnaflow Cat has the CARB EO number etched on the top of the cat, so any anal Smog tech will need a mirror to read it. If you go with the Honda OEM Cat as a replacement, you will need the old one to avoid the core charge.
I hope this helps someone in the future.

Last edited by stinky_finger; 02-18-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: grammar
The following users liked this post:
3lit3 (12-11-2022)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:39 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

How was it trashed, cells physically damaged?
Berk HFC uses a Magnaflow cat as well, just so you know.
Old 02-18-2019, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by flanders
How was it trashed, cells physically damaged?
Yup, all broken up and rattly. It looked like my dead OEM cat at 110K miles. I was pretty disappointed when I saw it. My mechanic (who works on a lot of S2000 here in LA) said he has seen that before with a lot of Berk HFC.
Originally Posted by flanders
Berk HFC uses a Magnaflow cat as well, just so you know.
I have read that as well, but there is a clear size and build difference between the two. The MagnaFlow doesn't even fit inside OEM heat shields (or need one) like the Berk. I wish I took a photo of the two side by side before the install.
Either way the Magnaflow was only $150 more and came with CARB EO number and 5 year/50K warranty. I hope this one last longer than the Berk.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know if the Magnaflow CARB approved cat is high flow, or at least higher flowing than OEM? I would think that the larger physical size would mean it would flow more (or at least last longer).