UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

TTS supercharger owners - Radiators

Old 02-13-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Default TTS supercharger owners - Radiators

Evening all.

I’m bringing the final stages of my full race build together ahead of mapping later this month, and one of the last pieces of the puzzle was improvements to cooling.

To this end, I have purchased the Mishimoto x-line rad and fan shroud with slimline fans.

Trouble is, I have no clearance at all between the supercharger pipework (from IC to throttle body) that runs alongside the back of the rad area, along the steering rack. I’ve done lots of fiddling, and realistically the only way I’m going to get it all to fit well is if I cut 3cm or so from the charger piping (at the throttle body end) to enable the pipe to sit further back in the bay, leaving space for the passenger-side fan.

I’d rather not do this on a whim, as I’m sure TTS fabricate all the pipework on a jig to exacting dimensions! Plus I’d lose the flare at the end. What solutions have you all found?

My car sees mostly road use, so I have no scientific evidence that the OEM rad (mine was replaced last year so I know it is in good nick) and OEM fans won’t keep temps in check in normal use, I just want to be able to drive without worry and constantly keeping an eye on temps during road driving.

I don’t want this thread to turn into ‘Mishimoto is crap’ etc, I am well educated on the differences in performance between the Mishi fans and say Comex or SPAL. (Mark Forrester’s vids are very useful!) This thread is about understanding if anyone else had clearance issues. The slimmest Comex fan I can find is 56mm deep, and the Mishi ones are 60mm, so it’s worthwhile me getting the fitment right before I purchase bigger and better fans. As it happens, I have barely 40mm gap between the fan shroud and the IC pipework when fitted.

All input welcome

Old 02-13-2019, 03:55 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just want to say I’ve been using OEM rad and fans for over 5 years without over heating.

Thats sat in upto 30’c ambient daily driving and when in Germany each year I’ve been sat at 33’c ambient for 20 mins in congestion before completing a couple of back to back laps on the Nurburgring.

In my opinion a good oil cooler is the key

Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 PM

Morning Jim.

Very interesting; and this is with the Full race kit? (18 psi +)

To be fair; I read as many threads saying OEM will be fine for fast road/occasional Nurburgring (etc) like mine as I did that the car will melt into a puddle after 1 ‘minute of idling!

Old 02-13-2019, 10:59 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

on supersport 12 psi i have never had an issue on the road but 3 laps of donny was an issue

i spoke to quite a few people with various charger setups, all had cooling issues on track..

you can fit an oil cooler away from centre but you need to not really use it on road
Old 02-13-2019, 11:08 PM

Yeah the side mounted oil cooler is also on the radar, depending on how the car handles temps this summer (Euromeet in Italy, trip to the ring etc). I have an oil temp gauge monitoring from the oil filter location, so will see how we get on there.

I’m guessing your 3 laps of Donny was in the summertime?
Old 02-13-2019, 11:47 PM

Received 625 Likes on 546 Posts

yeah from memory it was July or Aug..

it was evening but warm. i have a SPA oil and water temp gauge since but the connectors are utter crap so will probably end up soldering them at some point. the WT is not in yet and the OT reads, then doesnt, then reads. crappy rubber plugs.

you will obviously produce more heat again with more boost

Old 02-14-2019, 05:30 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

I've got the Supersport kit with a koyo radiator and one mishi fan on the intake side, one oem on the other. It's fine all the time on road, but you can watch my track video from April/May last year to see how quickly temps rise on track. I was just about OK for 15min runs whilst the air temp was cool and I was taking it easy (changing gear at 7-8k rpm) but was difficult to manage when I started pushing it. Also, I cracked an (admittedly half worn and quite old) front disc whilst cooling in the pits!

I'm currently torn between doing more things to the car (brake cooling, oil cooler etc) and going back to NA, as I miss the throttle response and intake roar.

It was good on track with the extra power though! Even though I didn't get enough runs to start pushing it much. I kind of liked that I really needed to build myself up to it!
Old 02-14-2019, 05:35 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Got HKS kit fitted with intercooler and oil cooler all over lapping a mishimoto 3 core and i can rag the bleep out of it all day long and not have to worry about anything. Oil temp holds at 100-110 and water temp around 95 solid.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:35 AM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Nottm_S2
i have a SPA oil and water temp gauge
Here do you mount them? I've got an AEM serial gauge to fit. I'd love a single pillar mount, as I want it as OEM looking as possible, but difficult to find one.
Old 02-14-2019, 05:37 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by chrispayze
Here do you mount them? I've got an AEM serial gauge to fit. I'd love a single pillar mount, as I want it as OEM looking as possible, but difficult to find one.
I got 3 AEM guages and i fitted then where the radio is. Ill be moving the radio somewhere else.

Quick Reply: TTS supercharger owners - Radiators