New York - Metro New York S2000 Owners Owners in New York City, Long Island, New Jersey, Connecticut

SCDA Lime Rock HPDE Day - Noise Question

Old 02-16-2019, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default SCDA Lime Rock HPDE Day - Noise Question

Hi Everyone,
I am seeking first person experience with HPDE days at Lime Rock. I am planning to head up there on March 30th to do a day with SCDA, but I am worried my Invidia q300 (with stock cat) will break the 86db limit.

Has anyone on here run there with a q300 or know someone who has?

Any other insight for Lime Rock track days?

Thanks!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:48 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

What distance is the noise measured? Q300 was in excess of 106dBA the two weeks it was on my car, but that's measured close to the exhaust. Surprisingly the SPL meter "ap" on my iPhone was within a dBA or so of my OSHA certified meter so you should be able to at least ball park your noise level easily.

-- Chuck
The following users liked this post:
RAP1D (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 05:49 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by RAP1D
Hi Everyone,
I am seeking first person experience with HPDE days at Lime Rock. I am planning to head up there on March 30th to do a day with SCDA, but I am worried my Invidia q300 (with stock cat) will break the 86db limit.

Has anyone on here run there with a q300 or know someone who has?

Any other insight for Lime Rock track days?

Thanks!
Some days there is no noise limit. It kinda depends on what day / date SCDA has scheduled.

With the exception of our May 22nd and September 18 unmuffled events, all cars must be muffled to 86dB at all Lime Rock Park events. Lime Rock has a zero tolerance policy towards cars that exceed 86dB.
Swap on an OEM exhaust to avoid any issues?

Last edited by freq; 02-18-2019 at 06:02 AM.
RAP1D (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 06:26 AM

Some of the SCDA events/clinics look interesting. But not interesting enough for me to fit a roll bar to the car.

Places like VIR have no noise restrictions whatsoever but being out in the country helps.

-- Chuck
RAP1D (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S
What distance is the noise measured? Q300 was in excess of 106dBA the two weeks it was on my car, but that's measured close to the exhaust. Surprisingly the SPL meter "ap" on my iPhone was within a dBA or so of my OSHA certified meter so you should be able to at least ball park your noise level easily.

-- Chuck
Thanks Chuck, I had been using the Decibel X app, and I was praying it was reading a bit high. I was getting around 95db on a flyby in second gear from the sidewalk. I’m going to look into a stock exhaust.

Originally Posted by freq
Some days there is no noise limit. It kinda depends on what day / date SCDA has scheduled.

Swap on an OEM exhaust to avoid any issues?
The SCDA Event is limited to 86db, looking like the stock exhaust is my best bet! Thanks for the response.

Some of the SCDA events/clinics look interesting. But not interesting enough for me to fit a roll bar to the car.

Places like VIR have no noise restrictions whatsoever but being out in the country helps.

-- Chuck
I reached out to the SCDA organizers, and they said if I pass the broomstick test with my stock rollover protection and hard top that I will be fine to run. I have no desire for a roll bar either!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:04 AM

-- Chuck
Sorry, I didn’t answer your initial question in my first reply. It is typically measured from the pit wall straight just by the finish line. I’ve heard if people start lifting or short shifting to sneak by, they move it around the track.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:42 AM

Cursory web search indicated the noise restriction is always at Lime Rock -- their restriction, not the event sponsor.

I want a hard top even less than I want an aftermarket roll bar. I need more research on what track will let me use my S2000 in a performance driving school other than Mid-Ohio which is a day's drive.

- Chuck
RAP1D (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 AM

Cursory web search indicated the noise restriction is always at Lime Rock -- their restriction, not the event sponsor.

I want a hard top even less than I want an aftermarket roll bar. I need more research on what track will let me use my S2000 in a performance driving school other than Mid-Ohio which is a day's drive.

- Chuck
The noise restrictions at Lime Rock vary by event, some of the Porsche days exceed 100db. A few days a year they have fully unrestricted days, but the amount of these days are limited by a decades-old agreement with the local area. SCDA however, always has the 86db limit. I'm not sure if this is a club decision or just how the scheduling worked out, but it's the unfortunate reality.

Hopefully I can find someone to trade me a nice quiet aftermarket exhaust, this q300 came on the car when I bought it and I really wouldn't miss it.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:58 AM

Pretty sure the Tanabe Medalion Touring is quiet enough but still louder than stock. But there are more than enough exhaust threads here.

-- Chuck
RAP1D (02-18-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 08:00 AM

Pretty sure the Tanabe Medalion Touring is quiet enough but still louder than stock. But there are more than enough exhaust threads here.

-- Chuck
Agreed, I'm surfing old "best quiet exhaust??" posts and the for sale areas and hopefully I'll find one. Thanks for your responses.

Quick Reply: SCDA Lime Rock HPDE Day - Noise Question