S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 - 2nd and 3rd "feels" stuck/glued in gear when disengaging

Old 02-19-2019, 09:42 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts
Default AP1 - 2nd and 3rd "feels" stuck/glued in gear when disengaging

Dear all,

I don't know if this is an issue, or just the car showing its age.

I have a 2000 AP1 with 130,000 miles. Often times, if I coast in 2nd or 3rd for a lengthy stretch (say, 2 - 4 streets/blocks), the shifter will feel "stuck" in the current gear when I disengage and move into another gear.

It's not really stuck in gear, it just feels that way and take an ounce more effort to move the shifter out of gear. Is this an issue? Or just the car showing its age?

Thanks!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Is the clutch not fully disengaging?
Old 02-19-2019, 10:01 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Does this happen after the car has been fully warmed up? Or when the car is still "cold". I had this issue but then i replaced my transmission fluid and after letting it run through the system for a few miles i have zero issues with my shifter. Also i'd recommend a rebuild of the shifter assembly. Its a relativly easy process but should be done since most of the parts are plastic that rub up on metal and wear down over time.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Is the clutch not fully disengaging?
I believe so, at least according to my left foot. I always fully depress the clutch pedal whenever the shifter is involved.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by xxyion
Does this happen after the car has been fully warmed up? Or when the car is still "cold". I had this issue but then i replaced my transmission fluid and after letting it run through the system for a few miles i have zero issues with my shifter. Also i'd recommend a rebuild of the shifter assembly. Its a relativly easy process but should be done since most of the parts are plastic that rub up on metal and wear down over time.
The shifter assembly was regreased by the previous owner not 1,000 miles ago. Everything he's listed in his ad has been truthful and I don't have reasons to doubt him. Also, I have zero problems engaging gears, either the previous or next gear.

Just that, intermittently, the shifter feels "stuck" after coasting for a brief while in either 2nd or 3rd, and it takes slightly more effort and it feels particularly notchy when disengaging.

I want to say that the "stuck" shifter occurs whether the car is cold or warmed.
Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

This happens to me in 2nd or 3rd if I coast/engine brake from high rpm and should have downshifted or gone to neutral. Its like the engine braking is putting enough pressure on the teeth to make them want to stay in mesh. I fix it by tapping the gas to unload the teeth right before I clutch if I just did a long engine brake decel.

The clutch disengages fine, but the rest of the drivetrain is still putting pressure on the gear. It never happens if you are within the gears mph range, it always happens when Ive left the car in to high of a gear, and brake to a speed below the gears range(ie still in 3rd at 2krpm coming to a stop, when i should have downshifted or gone to neutral a few moments before).

Hope that makes sense... I had this happen on all the S's I test drove. Which were in the range of 54k-213k
Old 02-19-2019, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
This happens to me in 2nd or 3rd if I coast/engine brake from high rpm and should have downshifted or gone to neutral. Its like the engine braking is putting enough pressure on the teeth to make them want to stay in mesh. I fix it by tapping the gas to unload the teeth right before I clutch if I just did a long engine brake decel.

The clutch disengages fine, but the rest of the drivetrain is still putting pressure on the gear. It never happens if you are within the gears mph range, it always happens when Ive left the car in to high of a gear, and brake to a speed below the gears range(ie still in 3rd at 2krpm coming to a stop, when i should have downshifted or gone to neutral a few moments before).

Hope that makes sense... I had this happen on all the S's I test drove. Which were in the range of 54k-213k
THIS! Thank you. You basically described it and yes, sorry for omission. It tends to happen when I'm coasting down to a stop/engine braking to slow down to a stop.

And yeah, it definitely feels like something is still "holding onto" 2nd/3rd. Well, I'm glad you're telling me it's in every S2000 you've driven.

Thanks again!
Old 02-19-2019, 10:55 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

If you are using the transmission to slow the car down its good practice to learn how to blip the throttle between gears and use the gas as manipulation. This goes for any car. Engine compression does put load on the drivetrain of course. Most people these days don't have a manual, let alone use engine breaking, and if they do its sloppy without the use of rev matching/gas to free up and speed match the transmission. They just downshift to a lower gear without rev matching and that practice isn't that great on the drivetrain over the mileage of the car, or as a practice on the race track/sport driving if that's your thing. Id say if you cant do it right, don't do it at all and just let off in the gear your in till it doesn't provide any more useful engine braking and then put the car in neutral and use the brakes.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 02-19-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 02-19-2019, 11:48 AM

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Just tossing this out there, have you checked your clutch fluid reservoir yet? If it looks dirty or cloudy, clean that out and flush your clutch fluid with fresh fluid.
Old 02-19-2019, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
If you are using the transmission to slow the car down its good practice to learn how to blip the throttle between gears and use the gas as manipulation. This goes for any car. Engine compression does put load on the drivetrain of course. Most people these days don't have a manual, let alone use engine breaking, and if they do its sloppy without the use of rev matching/gas to free up and speed match the transmission. They just downshift to a lower gear without rev matching and that practice isn't that great on the drivetrain over the mileage of the car, or as a practice on the race track/sport driving if that's your thing. Id say if you cant do it right, don't do it at all and just let off in the gear your in till it doesn't provide any more useful engine braking and then put the car in neutral and use the brakes.
Yes, I blip the throttle and rev-match on every downshift.

How do you even engine brake or downshift without rev-matching?

Quick Reply: AP1 - 2nd and 3rd "feels" stuck/glued in gear when disengaging