UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Urgent rear piston advice needed

Old 02-23-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Urgent rear piston advice needed

in the middle of rebuilding the rear callipers - and for the life of me can’t get the top piston seal seated.
Anyone got any tips?

thanks
Old 02-23-2019, 11:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Do you mean the dust seal?
Easiest way I found is you put seal first over the piston and then try to get it seated to caliper. Good luck!
Old 02-23-2019, 11:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seat dust cover onto caliper and then make up what I can only describe as mini bungi cords out of string and little hooks..use these to pull the mouth of the dust boot out wider..about 5 little strings and hooks should do.Red grease the piston and slowly insert into dust cover untill seated.
Remove strings and hooks.
Old 02-23-2019, 12:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garyg4761
Seat dust cover onto caliper and then make up what I can only describe as mini bungi cords out of string and little hooks..use these to pull the mouth of the dust boot out wider..about 5 little strings and hooks should do.Red grease the piston and slowly insert into dust cover untill seated.
Remove strings and hooks.
what do you use for the hooks? Have already torn one seal with a screwdriver. One of the most frustrating jobs I’ve done on this car. Haha
Old 02-23-2019, 02:04 PM

Received 623 Likes on 545 Posts

everyone says they are a bitch so i've always outsourced

nothing on youtube?

Old 02-23-2019, 11:34 PM

Received 179 Likes on 145 Posts

^^^ this. Save yourself the aggro and get them refurbed by someone else.
Old 02-24-2019, 12:47 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I know how you feel, when you’re into the job and you just wanna finish it, but I’d really second what Unclefester says and outsource.

I will do almost any job on the S2 myself, and if I’m paid handsomely I’ll do front Caliper rebuilds, but the rear is so frustrating, fiddly and unrewarding (you usually find next time you change the pads the dust boot has de-seated anyway) that it makes me question what my time is worth and I pay Biggred!

if you do push on however a decent amount of red grease (or even a smear of brake fluid) can be your friend. Wish you the best!
Old 02-24-2019, 04:35 PM

Received 126 Likes on 107 Posts

Other option is to use a ring of plastic (old folder or something) to make a sort of 'cone' to help ease the piston into the seals. Push the piston into the ring of plastic (which is holding the dust boot open) then remove the plastic. It is a faff, but doable. I agree with the others though Having done it once, I wouldn't bother again. And I DIY everything!
Old 02-25-2019, 02:47 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Get a sheet of paper, laminate it, use it as a piston ring compressor, put it inside seal and push piston down inside it to slide it in.

Used this method when i did mine and just about managed it! But I would outsource now...
Old 02-25-2019, 09:43 AM

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

It is achievable you just got to have major patience.
I didn't use any tools, your asking for trouble using anything around these seals.
I do like the idea of creating a sleeve out of some laminated paper though !
​​​​​​
I greased the seal up.
I used my hands in latex gloves and managed to hook the seal over the piston on either side using my fingers. Then carefully push back as you run a finger around the piston with the seal on top of it.

Contamination was a major thing for me, the thought of a spec of dirt getting in or around the caliper seals will lead to a leak from damaged seals in a short space of time.

Quick Reply: Urgent rear piston advice needed