S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Kangarooing and lurching 1st gear?

Old 03-16-2019, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kangarooing and lurching 1st gear?

What's up guys... I recently bought an 01 model with 64k miles on it, it's in great shape and just passed inspection. Sometimes when i'm releasing the clutch in first gear from a complete stop the car is kangarooing/lurching forward.. I found that if I hold the sweet spot on the clutch a bit longer that it's smoother when l release. I read that this is a common thing but not sure if there is anything wrong with the clutch or sensors or maybe i'm just not use to the car yet. I'm not an experienced manual driver by any means, i'm still learning but sometimes it just doesn't feel right when i'm releasing the clutch slowly. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Old 03-16-2019, 07:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also experienced this in the beginning, but it really feels like once you learn more about your car, you get a lot better. At this point I rarely ever get the lurching unless I released the clutch too quickly and gave it too much throttle.
Try giving it a little gas when you start releasing the clutch, and smoothly give it more throttle as you release, you’ll kind of feel the difference between what’s happening now and what should be happening.

play around with it. You might also find if you don’t give it a lot of gas the car wants to just move along forward really slowly, and practice giving it different levels of gas, you’ll find out where it’s lurchcing.
The following users liked this post:
CryptoPapi2k (03-18-2019)
Old 03-16-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 221 Likes on 164 Posts

It's really pretty common behavior on most manual transmission vehicles. Heck I'm pretty sure you could do it with a fire truck. What happens is that as the car rocks, your foot pulses the accelerator pedal. It's really a matter of experience.

Stay with it. You'll get past it.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:01 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

You have to get used to the clutch. One thing that can help is this. Stop on a driveway or parking lot that is level. Leave car at idle speed, don't touch gas. Put trans. in 1st gear. Release clutch very slowly. As you reach the engagement point you will sense the engine speed drop - now slow pedal release waaaaaay down until you have started moving and the clutch is fully engaged. The car will pull away on the level with zero gas. This gives you a real feel for the clutch engagement point and most people will not have the bucking troubles again.
Old 03-17-2019, 12:33 PM

Received 736 Likes on 390 Posts

Yep, just a matter of learning to drive a manual properly. It's not helped by S2000s (and pretty much every 4-cylinder NA engine) having very little low-rom torque. A combination of a little more throttle and a little less haste getting off the clutch and you'll be right. Clutch control was my biggest worry when I took mine for a test drive, I'd barely driven a manual in 10 years and was worried about making a fool of myself in front of the seller. Only took a few minutes to get back in the habit though.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Had the same issue whenever I took a break and got back into motorcycling. As others have said, it's probably just a matter of getting used to it.

Also, my car kangaroos in first as well. And second and third. With me grinning like mad.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:48 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it and implemented your advice into my driving. I just went on my best cruise so far, my releasing from first was much smoother and less kangarooing, my rev matches were much smoother as well. Had a great time cruising and getting to know the s2k a bit more!
Old 03-18-2019, 07:57 AM

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by CryptoPapi2k
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I really appreciate it and implemented your advice into my driving. I just went on my best cruise so far, my releasing from first was much smoother and less kangarooing, my rev matches were much smoother as well. Had a great time cruising and getting to know the s2k a bit more!
I had a similar experience as you in my S2K when I first got it. (I assume when people say kangarooing, it's the sensation when your car is rocking back and forth in 1st/2nd gear, right?)

For whatever reason, this car is more susceptible to it. My Mazdaspeed 3, I don't think I've ever had it in that car.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

So interesting, i found i had this issue more in my BRZ than this car. I never get it in this car. I attributed that to the fact that the BRZ was tuned so throttle response was made more sensitive and it uses a drive by wire system instead of the S2000 Cable throttle. I find driving slow speeds with this car to be a breeze.

I do however feel that making the car move with just clutch and no throttle seems easier when the car is cold rather than fully warmed up. Once fully warmed i HAVE to use a bit of throttle or else the car shakes and doesnt like it.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
I had a similar experience as you in my S2K when I first got it. (I assume when people say kangarooing, it's the sensation when your car is rocking back and forth in 1st/2nd gear, right?)

For whatever reason, this car is more susceptible to it. My Mazdaspeed 3, I don't think I've ever had it in that car.
Yes thats exactly how it feels, but its so rewarding when you start to get the hang of it. It's my second week with the s2k and I have much more to learn but I love this car!

Quick Reply: Kangarooing and lurching 1st gear?