S2000 Modifications and Parts Discussions about aftermarket products and parts including reviews, information and opinion.

[S/C'd] HIGH MILEAGE AP1 | ENGINE REPLACEMENT / REPAIR OPTIONS

Old 03-25-2019, 07:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question [S/C'd] HIGH MILEAGE AP1 | ENGINE REPLACEMENT / REPAIR OPTIONS

I'm back from the dead! - Some of you may know me from years years ago....

I'm simply looking to you guys (S2K Community) for some advice on what to do with my Comptech Supercharged 199K+ Mileage S2000. | This is purely a "what would you do (personally) if in my shoes type of post" and your input is greatly appreciated.

I was last previously into the car hobby pretty hard back around 2007 then life happened and I had to step away from all this and worry about other things and the car suffered obviously. I know a lot has changed since then and some parts are more expensive, some are cheaper, and some you can't even find anymore..... I'm not up to speed with current (GO-TO SOLUTIONS) and not looking to reinvent the wheel.

INFO YOU'LL PROBABLY WANT TO KNOW FIRST
  • I plan on keeping the car forever
  • I do not plan on auto crossing or drag racing
  • I'm open to engine swaps (LS1/2JZ/Etc.) if determined by you as truly a best long term option for "serviceability and parts availability" reasons.
  • I'm open to rebuilding exactly what I have right now (even with added internal component upgrades suggested by you guys)
  • I'm looking for the engine performance level of at least a base model Comptech Supercharger kit type of power or higher. I gotta have a little extra KICK! +HP
  • I don't beat my cars engine to death (I drive pretty slow actually)
  • Probably will not drive the car "daily"
  • I don't want to pay "X AMOUNT OF DOLLARS" for a solution that "FOR THE SAME AMOUNT OF MONEY" could just get me one of the other (engine "and/or") rebuild options that has higher performance output.
  • Also, I currently reside out towards the Houston, TX type area and appreciate any suggestions you may have "if local" (regarding where to get trustworthy work done on S2K's)
  • Existing F20c Engine Runs and Trans is in good working order (just suffering from high mileage things like rings, oil burning/leaks, etc etc.)
  • It currently has a Comptech Aftercooled Supercharger Kit Installed with the default included boost pulley and fuel management CT Engineering Provides
  • Supercharger Blower needs to be rebuilt I think..... unit started making abnormal metallic scratchy sounds so removed blower belt soon as I noticed this.
  • 80,000K of the cars life was Supercharged
  • If you guys suggest rebuilding existing motor and supercharger combo I'd like to make the second version of this a little Stronger and more HP (within reason)
  • Has full cat-back HKS Exhaust System
  • No cat converter (test pipe installed)
  • Has ACT/OEM Disc (no clutch buzz) kit installed
  • OEM New Formula Red paint job is totally trashed and will have to be repainted
  • Convertible Soft Top is totally trashed from thief slashing roof wide open.

PRESENT DAY (She's in pretty bad shape and i'm sick of seeing this)

HER FORMER GLORY

I appreciate you reading the long post and thank you in advance!

I'm really lost on where to even start and I'd also like to make mention that the Comptech Supercharger kit I ran on the car never consistently performed right due to (what I think) was just a bare minimum ECU & fuel management solution included with this kit.

Take Care,
Scott H.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Step 1. Get a compression test and leakdown test. Also get an oil analysis.

Step 2. Report results back here. If cylinder walls are still good, no reason you can't rebuild/refresh this motor (though success depends entirely on who does the work. Even an exceptionally competent machine shop will destroy this motor if they don't have F20 knowledge and experience).

Also, have you bypassed the clutch interlock so you don't have to press clutch pedal to start engine? Do that asap. Your higher spring rate Act pp can wear out your crank washer thrust bearing. Don't press clutch pedal during cold starts.
The following users liked this post:
Scott W Howard (03-25-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

I would do what I did last year with my supercharged s2000.

I ripped the motor out and sent it to inlinepro for a rebuild and stroker kit w/ stage 0 cylinder head job. You’ll gain significant torque which will make it more enjoyable to drive and they do a magnificent job!
Old 03-25-2019, 11:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Do a comp test on it, wash it and maybe consider selling it to some kid for a good price and start over with a nicer one. You will throw 6 grand at this thing before you even get into the cosmetic work if your talking blower and engine rebuilds.
Old 03-25-2019, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by outeiroj
I would do what I did last year with my supercharged s2000.

I ripped the motor out and sent it to inlinepro for a rebuild and stroker kit w/ stage 0 cylinder head job. You’ll gain significant torque which will make it more enjoyable to drive and they do a magnificent job!

interesting, if you don't mind...... about how much did that type of operation cost you at the end of the day said and done???
Old 03-25-2019, 04:39 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

Yeesh. Kinda with Junky on this. The outside of that is in rough shape.

If you did rebuild this one what Out suggested is probably the way to go though I would add getting a quote from a body shop to address any cosmetic issues. Pretty sure you can have the supercharger rebuilt as well or upgrade to a newer unit.