S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Luggage space!

Old 04-18-2019, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Luggage space!

I am sorry if this subject has been covered before but as a new owner I have found the first thing I don't like about the car! As I am just about to go away for the first time this Easter weekend I find the boot space is miniscule! And to be honest there is not much locker space in the cockpit either - not even enough to store the handbook.

As I know a lot of you are about to disappear on a European escapade how on earth do you manage? Is the dress code jeans and T shirt everyday?!

I have just seen boot bags which seem a quite a good idea but I have a factory high wing so a luggage rack is out and not sure a boot bag would fit either.

Two of my suitcases won't fit so it has to be a squashy bag and some poly bags I think. No room for cooly boxes for a cottage stay. Great design Honda but we have to live with these cars as well as drive them!

SimonP
Old 04-18-2019, 10:37 AM

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

If you are OK with removing your spare tire you can gain quite some space
Old 04-18-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 1,304 Likes on 987 Posts

I placed the jack and tools in the well of the spare itself. Wrapped them in rags so they don't clank around. Can also use the rags if I ever need to do roadside repair.

That freed up space in trunk (aka boot) well, by removing styrofoam block the tools nested in.

I think there is plenty of trunk space for size of car. I regularly make Costco runs, and manage to fit the jumbo size grocery items just fine.
Old 04-18-2019, 11:36 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

This guy lived out of his S2000 for 18 months on a road trip—-here’s how he packed—-

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...s2000-1191834/
Old 04-18-2019, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I will have a good read of your exploits Jetboater. Whilst from the UK, the best thing I ever did was a 2 month road trip to the Pacific Northwest and would love to do something similar again.

SimonP
Old 04-18-2019, 04:13 PM

Received 1,552 Likes on 921 Posts

I encounter this attitude a great deal in the travel industry. If you can find, and then see, how professional travelers travel, you will see how well you can go with just a roller board (or one duffel if only going in the S) plus some carry on. I have traveled Europe/ Asia for almost 2 months with a carry on rollerboard several times. Not a big deal. People always overpack. You see folks with giant suitcases in terminals and just shake your head.

My wife and I travel for weeks with the S and do just fine. I admit I do have a trunk(boot) rack but use it infrequently. I reserve that for actual camping equipment and such that will not fit in the trunk. We usually find we have extra room for purchase or fresh flowers at our hide aways. I might add we include a cooler in the trunk of the S. I do not remove the tool kit.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:18 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Even if you don't remove the spare you can actually fit a ton of clothing in the trunk if you use a soft duffel bag.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:18 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

We just got back from a 5-day, 4-night trip in the S. We each got 4 days worth of clothing into one soft sided duffle bag, plus two full-size folding camping chairs, a roll-up table, car cleaning supplies, car emergency supplies including jumper cables, a lithium ion battery fir jump starting, an air pump, two quarts of oil, small bottles of laundry detergent and microfiber cleaner, a cpap machine and more. We even carried too many microfiber cleaning towels and a Griot’s Garage Concourse bag of cleaning supplies. All with the tool kit and spare tire in place, and we still had room for a few purchases.
Old 11-02-2020, 01:39 PM

Received 1,188 Likes on 922 Posts

This is a funny thread. I never saw it originally. You buy a roadster, storage space should have been the last thing on your priority list It is a small roadster, carrying a bunch of stuff is not what it is made for lol. Its like when Car and Driver dings sports cars in comparisons because of trunk space.

Anyways, the S actually is not too bad when you look at it reasonably from the standpoint of being a roadster.

When going to an autox event, I carry:
A big bin full of stuff like my helment, rain gear, spare clothes, tq wrench, cordless impact, notebooks, battery tanks for charging stuff, gloves and my gopro stuff (This is a big 54 qt storage bin)
My jack
Two peices of 2X8 to drive onto so I can get the jack under the car
2 jack stands
My tool bag
Garden sprayer full of water for spraying tires when needed
Extra shoes
A tarp
The spare

All of that goes in the trunk

In the front, I usually have a couple of boxes of trophies in the floorboard because I am the trophy guy for our local club and am usually taking some to people at events
My small roller cooler with all my water and snacks for the day in the passenger seat

I mean, not too bad for a car certainly not built around storage space!

And my dress code EVERY day is jeans/shorts and a tshirt. Even at work (I work at an engineering firm so we are as anti big corp as it gets in terms of office policy). My wife and I dress up maybe twice a year if we decide to go out somewhere really nice that warrants it. But I pretty much despise business casual (it is neither dressed up or not dressed up .. as f***ing boring as it gets), hate khaki anything and cant stand dress shoes. So I guess my packing for a trip is different than the OP's! To each their own I guess.

But I still say, buying a roadster aimed at being small, light and nimble and then complaining about storage space is like buying a home in Alaska and complaining about having to shovel the driveway. I mean, you can see all the storage space when test driving it!
Old 11-02-2020, 01:46 PM

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Have two cars lol. My 2nd roadster and when travelling I just take the wife's car or my daily.

Quick Reply: Luggage space!