S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

MMR Shots

Old 04-18-2019, 06:53 PM

Received 2,533 Likes on 1,528 Posts
Default MMR Shots

With the measles outbreak has anyone here gotten or considered getting the MMR shots? We are going to look into this what with Patty’s weakened system and our new love for international travel.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:56 PM

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I had read if you were born before 1957, there wasn't a concern. I'm guessing the assumption is we've had the measles. Given Patty's health issues, I too would ask the docs. Let us know what they say.

What about whooping cough. Did you get the shot for that too? I think it's part of a combo booster shot/vaccine.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:35 AM

Received 705 Likes on 477 Posts

I got measles in the 50's so no.
Old 04-19-2019, 04:11 AM

Received 921 Likes on 543 Posts

MMR is Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (German Measles.)

Whooping Cough (Pertussis) is part of the DPT (Diphtheria, Pertussis, Tetanus) vaccine.

I have never had documented cases of Mumps or Rubella (German Measles), although I did have the "regular" Measles.

In the 1980's, I was working in the virology department of a children's hospital. I was tested for immunity to German Measles, and I had no titer, so I was required to be vaccinated before I could work there. I'm not really sure whether I was just vaccinated for Rubella (German Measles) at that time, or whether it was the MMR shot. Doesn't matter much because I've been vaccinated for MMR since then anyway.

In more recent years, there were epidemics of Mumps and Measles in Columbus, and more specifically on the OSU campus where I was working. It was recommended that employees get the MMR vaccine if they were not sure of their history or if they planned any international travel. So, I got the first shot on campus, and the second shot at my doctor's office later.

I have had the DPT booster shot in recent years, too, so I should be protected against Whooping Cough.

Scooterboy, I think it is a good idea for you to check with Patty's doctors about whether she should get any vaccines. However, I would also do some research myself, because some vaccines are given as live (attenuated) viruses, and should not be given to people with weakened immune systems.

I think this might be a useful site about vaccines. If you scroll down to the bottom of that page, there are links to info about specific vaccines.

Vaccines
Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Had them all as a child. Interesting side note when I got Whooping Cough my dad took me up in an unpressurized Aircraft as that was thought to me a good treatment back in the day. The flight is noted in his Logbook and that it seemed to Help ponder:
Old 04-19-2019, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by MAGGIEMAE
Had them all as a child. Interesting side note when I got Whooping Cough my dad took me up in an unpressurized Aircraft as that was thought to me a good treatment back in the day. The flight is noted in his Logbook and that it seemed to Help ponder:
That is interesting, MAGGIEMAE.

It is interesting that I never had Whooping Cough. All 4 of my sisters had it around the same time, and I was exposed to all of them, but I never got Whooping Cough.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:41 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

No MMR in some years. But Sandy and I recently got DPT vaccine in prep for the arrival of our new grandson next month.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:51 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Had measles, and chicken pox. I received the mumps vaccine in my teen years. Received a DPT a few years back which I have a little accident with a kitchen knife.
Old 04-19-2019, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by tof
No MMR in some years. But Sandy and I recently got DPT vaccine in prep for the arrival of our new grandson next month.
Mike, that was a very good idea.

Here is what the CDC has to say about Grandparents and Whooping Cough.

Grandparents and Whooping Cough
Old 04-19-2019, 04:54 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by buckeyesue
Here is what the CDC has to say about Grandparents and Whooping Cough.

Grandparents and Whooping Cough
That's a good read for any new grandparent. Our kids made us aware of the need and asked that we get inoculated several weeks before the expected big day as we will be with them in Nashville taking care of their three year old while they are in hospital.

Quick Reply: MMR Shots