S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

First Track Day at Thunderhill... Spun out at 100MPH

Old 04-18-2019, 08:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default First Track Day at Thunderhill... Spun out at 100MPH

Hello All,

Last December I got a lot of advice from you guys regarding my first track day! I have put together a montage video (artistic perspective). However, it does show me spinning out on turn 1 (Final session of the day.) Any advice would be welcome, regarding the spinout or general advice. I feel like I was pushing the car just too fast, but there was no warning on the spin.

Old 04-18-2019, 10:19 PM

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts

Sort of hard to get an idea of what is going on. Can't see much of the inputs and there is music over the car noise.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:34 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I noticed a few things that are dead giveaways:

1. You're driving like Vin Diesel. Both hands need to be on the wheel at all times, except when you're shifting gears. If you look at when you spun, your (one hand) hand is at the top of the wheel. Next time you're in the car - see how much motion you can apply to the wheel with one hand at that position. Also see how long it takes you to get to that position. You are not able to correct for over/under steer and you spun.
2. You are not driving your car, you're driving the car in front of you. You are following his line, his braking points, etc. Keep your eyes up and follow your line. It may be a good idea for you to ease off the pack until you get comfortable doing this.
3. Don't shift gears mid corner. Have the proper gear selected in the braking zone and then both hands need to be on the wheel immediately. Heel/toe is not required to properly achieve this.

You definitely need to go to an organization with a required instructor so he can beat the bad habits out of you. An autocross would do wonders as well. The things I mention above can be corrected on the street. I would also recommend getting a proper mounted camera, not the helmet drama cam. That way we, and you, can see your hand movements.
The following 2 users liked this post by roel03:
HawkeyeGeoff (04-24-2019), the-moss (04-19-2019)
Old 04-19-2019, 04:02 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

^^^ No need for me to watch the video.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the feedback!!!!

1) Yes, bad habit. I stay with my hand at the shifter.
2) Also very true!!! I found myself much more uncomfortable when I was in the front of the pack. The car ahead of me was a guide of how hard I could push, but without that I was not comfortable.
3) Yea
Old 04-19-2019, 11:51 AM

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielZan

2) Also very true!!! I found myself much more uncomfortable when I was in the front of the pack. The car ahead of me was a guide of how hard I could push, but without that I was not comfortable.
3) Yea
The best piece of advice that roel03 gave you is to get an instructor. The instructor is going to spend as much time as is needed convincing you that you suck, and that's ok because we all sucked when we first started. Once you've accepted that you suck he/she is going to hopefully spend a bunch of time teaching you how to be safe and teaching you good technique. The very nice thing about motorsports is you can practice and work on your technique on your daily commute, tennis players can't do that.

1 - Get a coach/instructor
2 - Accept that you suck
3 - Listen to your coach
4 - Become safe and fast pretty rapidly
Old 04-19-2019, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Accept that you suck" - lol, but true
Old 04-19-2019, 06:16 PM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielZan

3) Yea
Don't rest your hand on the shifter, even if you're driving around town.
Old 04-19-2019, 07:35 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

High speed track require you to be VERY smooth to be fast. Ditch the lead follow and build your own solid markers/lines.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:22 AM

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I think the first order of business is for you, not us, to analyze the cause of your spin. That mean understanding why you spun so you can avoid doing the same thing in the future. So you have to categorize the spin. I can’t remember all the variations, but you have throttle oversteer, brake oversteer, trailing brake oversteer, etc. My impression is that you lifted at turn in - ever so slightly - so trailing brake oversteer with the engine doing the braking, maybe only 50 rpm. You need to be on throttle in the corner. Remember Taruffi. Whatever you do, don’t lift in the corner! Just my 2 cents. Cheers.

Quick Reply: First Track Day at Thunderhill... Spun out at 100MPH