S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Coilover recommendations

Old 04-21-2019, 05:48 AM
rmc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need help choosing coilovers

What’s a good recommendation for coilovers witha budget around $2-3k? Don’t mind spending a bit more if it means doing it right the first time. My plans are for it to be a daily driver/weekend track car. It’ll probably see the street more than the track for now, so I guess I’m prioritizing a comfier ride more than anything, but not too squishy. Heard Öhlins DFV are the way to go, but I just wanted some other opinions. Open to anything, but being able to rebuild them in the US is always a plus. Sorry if this thread had been made a million times before. I keep finding posts from 5+ years ago, so I thought I’d ask again to see if anything has changed since then. If this is the wrong thread for this, I don’t mind if it’s deleted or moved, wasn’t sure where to go

Last edited by rmc; 04-21-2019 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 04:03 PM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Wait until you spend a lot of time on the track and need to cut your lap times. The car is already set for good street/daily driver driving and will be competent on the track as well. This ain't golf where we all know it's not, it's our clubs and a new, expensive set will magically shave strokes off your score. A skilled driver will be able to run your car several seconds faster on the track than you can -- yep, it ain't the car or the clubs. Once (if) you get your times down to his start looking as equipment to go faster.

Good tires are more important than adjustable suspension. You don't need Extreme Performance Summer tires yet either.

-- Chuck
Old 04-21-2019, 04:24 PM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I think he just wants to lower the car...
Old 04-21-2019, 06:08 PM
rmc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B serious
I think he just wants to lower the car...
I think I just want to get rid of the cheap eBay suspension that ended up coming with the car when I bought it.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:26 AM

I don't see a reason not to buy the Ohlins.

Fortune Auto is another great option with quite a few advantages. Talk to Will at THmotorsports (they are a site sponsor). He has a FA setup on his car that he's happy with.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:55 AM

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts

Another +1 for the Ohlins here. You can get them rebuilt in the by Ohlins USA or PSI (West Coast) for about $1K. I can't really comment on other options, but I've had the Ohlins on my car for about 4 years now and have nothing but good things to say. The car is comfortable on the street and easy to drive on track.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:00 PM

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by rmc
I think I just want to get rid of the cheap eBay suspension that ended up coming with the car when I bought it.
That's unfortunate. And I have a less than tempting suggestion.

I think people should really drive and track the S2000 as Honda intended to first, then make adjustments that suit your needs. As few people have mentioned, this thing is already well-tuned from factory.

I have a set of KW V3 sitting around, I bought just because they were essentially brand new and I got a great deal on them. But, I want to experience this car as Honda intended for a few track days first. I don't think my KW V3 will be going onto my car until next spring.

Just my (maybe unpopular) opinion. Also, stock OEM suspension is going to be way cheaper than aftermarket coilovers as well. These are going to be for sure a better performer than your ebay coilovers.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...871810711.html
Old 04-22-2019, 01:29 PM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Say Chi Sin Lo
That's unfortunate. And I have a less than tempting suggestion.

I think people should really drive and track the S2000 as Honda intended to first, then make adjustments that suit your needs. As few people have mentioned, this thing is already well-tuned from factory.

I have a set of KW V3 sitting around, I bought just because they were essentially brand new and I got a great deal on them. But, I want to experience this car as Honda intended for a few track days first. I don't think my KW V3 will be going onto my car until next spring.

Just my (maybe unpopular) opinion. Also, stock OEM suspension is going to be way cheaper than aftermarket coilovers as well. These are going to be for sure a better performer than your ebay coilovers.

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...871810711.html
I thought to suggest the same, no shame in reverting back to stock to get a baseline if you can find a decent set of stock shocks/springs for cheap. This was also the approach I took of driving it stock for a year and then slowly do the suspension mods.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:46 PM

Didn't know OP had some junk on there to begin with.

The stock suspension is where I would want to start.

However...would I put go out and buy a new stock suspension just to get a baseline?

No.

Because HPDE's aren't about science.
The following users liked this post:
iam_ultrasonic (04-30-2019)
Old 04-22-2019, 05:16 PM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

...but a set of good, used lowish miles oem suspension, that would make sense...

Quick Reply: Coilover recommendations