S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

California ppl only- insurance dilemma

Old 04-22-2019, 07:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default California ppl only- insurance dilemma

My car was rear ended last Wednesday by someone who was texting while driving. Anyways I just want to pocket the insurance money and sell it as-is because I wanted to sell it anyways (I literally had a buyer for Friday, all that was left was to take payment and sign it over).

Anyways the insurance company of the other person came to look at my car in the driveway and gave a super-lowball offer. I want to take it to a shop and have a real quote done. I've already took off the bumper myself and confirmed there is no frame damage, so I want to take it to a shop with free quotes and get a bill to pass along to the insurance company.

The problem is the insurance company says they won't accept that. They say the car must be repaired by the shop that gave the quote for them to pay the bill.

Is that true? Right now my only options are to have the car repaired and wait while it's in a shop or accept their super lowball offer.

I am in California. I Am dealing with mercury insurance. Anyone who's been through this before, your advice is appreciated.
Old 04-23-2019, 03:33 AM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I don't care what state you're in. Deal with your insurance company, that's why you pay them.

-- Chuck
Old 04-23-2019, 06:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I don't care what state you're in. Deal with your insurance company, that's why you pay them.

-- Chuck
Chuck,
I called my own insurance company and asked if my rates would raise if i filed the claim through them- I even told them that the other driver had admitted fault to their insurance company by then. They said there was "no guarantee" my rates wouldn't raise. So I told them I was dropping them as an insurer when this was all over and I am being forced to go through their company
Old 04-23-2019, 07:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If their insurance is giving you a hard time and they already admit their client is 100% at fault then pay your deductible and have your insurance send you their adjuster. Your insurance will take care of you then seek repayment from the other driver's insurance and may be able to refund your deductible. You could also counter the offer and continue to get quotes from body shops similar to how they low ball when paying out a totaled car so you would have to do your own research in the used car market to get more than the first offer.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:03 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

i have heard of what you're trying to do, but never had any first hand success stories. In a recent accident i was in where i was rear ended, the other insurance company paid my body shop directly.

You are allowed to go to the body shop of your choice and this accident seems pretty minor. I would just find a shop and get it repaired. The car should not be down for very long and your car will be easier to sell afterwards.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:06 PM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

if it is your company you can choose what shop you wish but you must repair it if they say it is repairable...if it is the other company you can negociate the repair and have a check cut just to you for a reasonable repair estimate you provide from the shop you wish to have it repaired at. any case you have the right to go to the shop of choice, call your agent for advice,it's free and you pay them for it.