Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

The new Supra - who wanted this?

Old 05-15-2019, 04:18 PM

Received 196 Likes on 136 Posts
Thumbs down The new Supra - who wanted this?

Been reading and following the car for years, and while I haven't seen one in person, while I was watching the DeMuro video on it, I just started asking myself, who wanted this?

Toyota revived a name, and even kept the IV badge, but it is a de-tuned BMW. Watching the video and how it was built to have mods added to it seems artificial, and the whole thing seems like a marketing exercise rather than a true effort to build a bad-ass car. It left me wondering who asked for the thing Toyota finally built?

If you haven't seen the video, it's worth a watch:

Thoughts?
Old 05-15-2019, 04:25 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

It seems like a pretty nice overall package, and the test numbers that have come out so far are impressive. It's just that in that price range, I don't know if I'd choose it over a C7, GT350, or M2 Comp, all of which are available with a manual... not to mention countless used options including a slightly used Cayman.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:06 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

savage geese did an excellent hour and a 1/2 live stream the other day addressing some pertinent questions on the Supra. After, I do have a new appreciation for the new Supra. Even still, I'll wait till the manual option arrives.
darcy
Old 05-15-2019, 05:14 PM

Received 3,360 Likes on 2,443 Posts

I think all of the criticism is from people who remember the last generation that was a bullet proof muscle car killer when modified, and they fully expected the new Supra to carry on in that tradition plus even more on top of that.

Those people will never buy this car, the people who buy this car will be people that are more about refinement and overall braking, handling, capabilities ahead of outright power.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:30 PM

Received 725 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero
I think all of the criticism is from people who remember the last generation that was a bullet proof muscle car killer when modified, and they fully expected the new Supra to carry on in that tradition plus even more on top of that.
I think that part in bold is the key. Youtube is full of 1,000hp+ Supras dominating all manner of muscle/supercars in roll races and at the drags, and other clips of 2JZGTEs in [insert make and model of car here] doing the same thing. This has only furthered the "Supra > all" legend, so anything less from a new, stock Supra is considered a failure.

The Mk IV is a great car, and quick in stock form, but cars have moved on in the past 25 years so any new Supra will still require modification to live up to the popular image, and that's what little Johnny E-Thug just doesn't grasp.
The following 2 users liked this post by Hertz Donut:
SheDrivesIt (09-05-2019), zeroptzero (05-16-2019)
Old 05-15-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 483 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by zeroptzero

Those people will never buy this car, the people who buy this car will be people that are more about refinement and overall braking, handling, capabilities ahead of outright power.
Those people made the mkiv supra more expensive than the new supra. What made the supra name legendary was not its handling, it was the power potential and looking good.

Additionally, the supra is a GT car, this car is not. Once again, Toyota out out probably a good car but misnamed it, should've called it a 2000gt if anything.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

People used to lose their minds over Kia Stinger's "fake" hood vents. This Supra has fake vents ALL AROUND the CAR and no one mentions it.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:36 AM

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

I'd rather have this Supra than the old one.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:46 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

It left me wondering who asked for the thing Toyota finally built?
Customers asked for it. Car dealers are the customers, not the end users.

Honda dealers don't seem to be clambering for a new S2000 and Honda gave away the NSX to Acura anyway.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 05-16-2019 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I think over all it is a pretty nice car, maybe a little too expensive
and I agree that not offering a manual is a mistake.

Quick Reply: The new Supra - who wanted this?