S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supercharger vs turbocharger.

Old 05-16-2019, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger vs turbocharger.

I'm looking to buy an s2k and put an inline pro 6262 ball bearing turbo. But I want opinions, I'm going to be daily driving the car. I've seen turbo s2k beat hellcats and Zl1s, it's the reason why I'm going with a turbo set up. But I also want opinions on superchargers. I want to be making 400+ to the wheel. Basically I want to make alot of power while maintaining the car reliable and with few problems
Old 05-16-2019, 10:17 AM

Received 101 Likes on 71 Posts

You will fight heat issues in the engine bay for a daily driver.

Get a TTS C38-92 SC system without charge piping. Have a local shop fabricate custom charge piping for you. On e85 you can achieve over 500whp with the right parts, best if all you will not have failures like the Kraftwerks sc kits do.
Old 05-16-2019, 10:18 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

The two don't go together - Big power and reliability/Daily driving this car. Get a second car as a back up or don't go turbo. I wouldn't even feel comfortable with a high boost supercharger (been there done that) but a moderate one 400whp max and id more strongly advice akin to what I have now in my Daily which is a 300whp/stage 1 Science of Speed supercharger kit which retains the majority of oem systems. I still have a second vehicle and am so glad I do, its been used evetime my S2000 is down for something unforeseen.
The following users liked this post:
EVO X GSR (05-16-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Make sure to bring your wallet. I also recommend doing a search on here.

Superchargers(SOS) have been proven to be pretty(most?) reliable, and make 400WHP but thats typically at the very top of the rev range. If your plan is to go to mexico and roll race then you're probably better off turbocharging and keeping a good lawyer on retainer.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an AP1. I don't daily drive my car.

I made ~460rwhp at 16.5 psi with the C38-91 blower on a Kraftwerks kit.

I made ~520whp at the same boost with the same mods with a Precision 6262.

A 400whp supercharged s2000 is probably a ~115mph trap car.

A 450whp supercharged s2000 is probably a ~120mph trap car.

A 500-525whp turbo s2000 is probably around a ~130mph trap car.

A 600whp turbo s2000 should be approaching 140mph in the 1/4 mile.

For reference, Chevy claims the new ZL1 traps around 127mph. A Hellcat traps around 125mph. C7 Z06 traps around 127mph. A 991.2 Turbo S is 132mph. C7 ZR1 is around 135mph.

You're going to have to prioritize either reliability or going fast. If I was daily driving mine, I'd probably go the Science of Speed Novi kit route and run 12psi and around 400whp.
The following 3 users liked this post by kumar75150:
ap2wot (05-23-2019), EVO X GSR (05-16-2019), WilloW (01-06-2021)
Old 05-20-2019, 08:27 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

As the power rises you are also changing clutch, transmission, differential, and driveshafts...none of those cheap.

Three factors determine power: displacement, engine speed, and boost. Simply, they define the mass of the air the engine has to burn. VE, exhaust system, inlet air temp, intercooler effectiveness, all also have an effect.

How high you can go depends on your fuel. 91 octane pump gas? Maybe with 8.5:1 pistons, a 2.4L at 10k rpm could see 650hp at the crank with 18psi boost.

With E85 it could go to 800hp on OEM displacement, but with over 30psi boost. Note that E85 is an oxygenated fuel. There is a forum member with 960hp at 42psi of boost at 9500 rpm. C90 race fuel.

Recommendation: call 4Piston, ILP, Prayoonto, Drag Cartel or equivalent and ask them what they recommend. All four can sell you a complete long-block plus intake.

For heat management, I like the underslung turbos on the Ptuning and SOS kits. Ptuning kits are available in infrequent batches, their manifold uses v-band inlet and outlet on the turbine housing with external wastegate. SOS uses an Evo inlet on the turbine giving them a twin-scroll housing. The outlet is also Evo which has a unique IWG setup.

The biggest turbo SOS and Ptuning specs is a GTX3582 which should comfortably get you in 600+hp range if the boost and swept displacement are high enough. The Precision 6262 is roughly the same size with 82mm compressor and 71mm turbine wheels. Precision doesn't provide compressor maps.

You are not in a competitive racing class where you are building the car to the rules. Your only restriction is $$$. Any of the turbo kits will get you there, it is the rest of the modification that will eat through your wallet.

Note: Those speeds in a non-OEM convertible are going to require safety equipment. The safety equipment may impinge on daily driver usefulness more than the engine modifications.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a KW SC kit tuned to 400 whp on 91 octane. The car is a daily driver and weekend track car. The early KW kits had teething problems but have been continually improved. I have kept up with the changes and my car has been reliable after the teething issues.

Before I modded my car I noticed that the aftermarket turbos often had heat management issues at the track. In reading the forums I noted that turbo S2ks not used on the track often had heat related issues too (wiring insulation, etc.). This and throttle response on the track were the major reasons I went with a supercharger instead of a turbo.

I put an oil cooler on the car at the same time I put the SC kit on and have had no heat issues, even on 90+ degree track days.

I would also agree with others that if you mod the car to the 400 hp level or higher that it should not be your only car, and be prepared to make other mods (like better brakes, better cooling, etc.).
WilloW (01-06-2021)
Old 05-21-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Every day I go back and forth looking for a fun weekend street car. I have a second car so I have a about 20k budget for the s2000 and the supercharger or turbo kit 400whp would be fun on the street.

I love the people on this forum are either super pro Supercharge
or super pro Turbo Charger
I had my Turbo Honda for a few years it was so much fun, I started with a greddy kit; tons of fun but not fast. I upgraded to sc34 at 14 psi but have nothing but issues. After you build a motor and have a bad tunner it's just not any fun.

Both look to have there ups and down; the more I read and see I think I would like the turbo more; just for the more fun power band; I don't want to wait to 8400 to make 400 whp on a supercharger when I can make the same at 7000 and enjoy the more power up top.

The biggies issue will always be reliability; when you start to mod your car. Oil Cooler, Upgraded Clutch, Injectors, Fuel Pump, A good tune is key with both Supercharger and Turbo
I have not seen many people talk on either AEM vs Honda but I guess it's whatever you tunner likes the best and fits your needs.

If anyone cares I have been pricing out both options
CX Turbo Kit would be the cheapest options
Vortex would be the cheapest Supercharger option

I'm would love to see a poll on how many people started with a supercharger and went turbo

and how many people started with a turbo and went supercharger.

I'm not sure if there is a best; I do dig the SOS stage 2 Supercharger kit
I also dig the P tuning kit but these are not cheap and would need extras

I agree with anything over 400 whp you want to do extras to keep your car as reliable as it can be; but this is car so anything can happen.
TriikT (07-10-2019)
Old 05-23-2019, 02:14 PM

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Quad-Damage
Every day I go back and forth looking for a fun weekend street car. I have a second car so I have a about 20k budget for the s2000 and the supercharger or turbo kit 400whp would be fun on the street.

I love the people on this forum are either super pro Supercharge
or super pro Turbo Charger
I had my Turbo Honda for a few years it was so much fun, I started with a greddy kit; tons of fun but not fast. I upgraded to sc34 at 14 psi but have nothing but issues. After you build a motor and have a bad tunner it's just not any fun.

Both look to have there ups and down; the more I read and see I think I would like the turbo more; just for the more fun power band; I don't want to wait to 8400 to make 400 whp on a supercharger when I can make the same at 7000 and enjoy the more power up top.

The biggies issue will always be reliability; when you start to mod your car. Oil Cooler, Upgraded Clutch, Injectors, Fuel Pump, A good tune is key with both Supercharger and Turbo
I have not seen many people talk on either AEM vs Honda but I guess it's whatever you tunner likes the best and fits your needs.

If anyone cares I have been pricing out both options
CX Turbo Kit would be the cheapest options
Vortex would be the cheapest Supercharger option

I'm would love to see a poll on how many people started with a supercharger and went turbo

and how many people started with a turbo and went supercharger.

I'm not sure if there is a best; I do dig the SOS stage 2 Supercharger kit
I also dig the P tuning kit but these are not cheap and would need extras

I agree with anything over 400 whp you want to do extras to keep your car as reliable as it can be; but this is car so anything can happen.
Why not give Science of Speed a call? They sell both and a fair number of supporting enhancements, such as a v-mount radiator/intercooler for the turbo and two different models of Vortech Novi superchargers with pully and heat exchanger options. Their turbo is also unique in this space, using an Evo turbine housing to get twin-scroll and IWG and mounting the turbo low to minimize heat issues.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:09 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

^^ I would just move to E85 as well in either application I have a e85 gas station about 5 miles from me. Would i have to change out the stock lines? I know I would need a AEM E85 fuel pump and the pumps are a pain to get to when the top is installed.
Take out the seat and work around. I do like there turbo kit as well looks good; I just think it would have a better power band. Still want to know for EMS what most s2000 people prefer

Quick Reply: Supercharger vs turbocharger.