Car and Bike Talk Discussions and comparisons of cars and motorcycles of all makes and models.

2020 Supra - Anyone else liking it and would replace your S2k for it?

Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts
Default 2020 Supra - Anyone else liking it and would replace your S2k for it?

I honestly really really like it (except the AT!) - instant full torque @1600rpm, 100lbs lighter than the previous gen, small short and wide wheelbase, very fat wide tires, inline6, a coupe, very sleek, very nice styling imo (especially the super wide rear fenders that look Porsche'esque..the nose I like too, reminds me of Ferrari), etc.

I heard Toyota told the Austria factory to change a lot of the engine internals' tolerances (bearings and rings perhaps?) and other small critical parts to meet their very high reliability standards. And that they basically reworked and rebuilt the entire BMW engine mildly.

If I was...
1.) Rich and could afford it
2.) Manual transmission
...then I would definitely buy it and replace my aging old S2k.

Would be nice to have actual decent power vs the slow S2k, an inline6 vs a 4cyl, and a hardtop coupe.
Old 05-16-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

Too expensive, too AT, too BMW...
Old 05-16-2019, 11:54 AM

Received 179 Likes on 138 Posts

I would not replace my S2000 with a car that that does not allow you to drop the top. Nor would I do so for a car without a manual transmission. In addition the cost of the Supra is too prohibitive for me and the styling is too busy (in my opinion anyway, I cannot see it aging all that well).

So so while I am glad to see the return of the Supra to the Toyota lineup, it is not a car that tempts me. I am sure that there will be plenty of ecstatic new Supra owners. But in my case the new Supra only serves to increase my appreciation of the S2000.
The following users liked this post:
tonyro56 (06-09-2019)
Old 05-16-2019, 12:05 PM

Received 125 Likes on 106 Posts

Replacement nope.

If the Supra came in a manual and if it was not actually a BMW I would have more initial interest in it, but currently it's not even registering as a blip on my radar.
I think their first huge fail was in offering it only in an automatic. I get it with supercars etc, but that type of car was born to have a manual.
The second fail was that they partnered with BMW. Not that there's anything wrong with partnerships or BMW, but the Supra grew into an epic vehicle making a name for itself. It was a SUPRA and nothing else was like it. You climb into this new one and you might as well be climbing into a BMW Z4 (which mind you is more powerful). It's just not unique enough.

I actually think the price point is reasonable. Not too many new performance sports cars these days are less than 60k... and I think the exterior styling is fine. If the vehicle was called something else... Toyota Z4.5 I'd applaud them for making a nice sports car, but I think as the next Supra it falls short and will be seen in 5 years as a flop.
Old 05-16-2019, 01:16 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Nein
Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

I thought the FT1 concept was fantastic looking and then this one came out looking like its fugly sister and killed my spirit. I think the rear end looks pretty good, but the front is not attractive and the side profile works but the non functional venting detracts a bit, coupled as a reminder of a much watered down FT1 attribute that didn't make it to full fruition.

The inline 6 is cool they stuck with one even though its not Toyota, that's fine. No manual option is unfortunate.

"Gazoo Racing". Really? Hard to take a name like that seriously. Was TRD not up to the task any longer?

So no, I will probably be buried in my S unless current automotive trends take a serious turn.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 05-16-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:19 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I'd buy it as a second car. Theres too much i love about the S2k that i know the new Supra wouldnt have. Its too new, too refined, not raw enough. That being said i would LOVE to own one. The AT doesnt actually bother me at all as that specific transmission is supposed to be one of the best BMW has ever made.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MrFunk
Replacement nope.

If the Supra came in a manual and if it was not actually a BMW I would have more initial interest in it, but currently it's not even registering as a blip on my radar.
I think their first huge fail was in offering it only in an automatic. I get it with supercars etc, but that type of car was born to have a manual.
The second fail was that they partnered with BMW. Not that there's anything wrong with partnerships or BMW, but the Supra grew into an epic vehicle making a name for itself. It was a SUPRA and nothing else was like it. You climb into this new one and you might as well be climbing into a BMW Z4 (which mind you is more powerful). It's just not unique enough.

I actually think the price point is reasonable. Not too many new performance sports cars these days are less than 60k... and I think the exterior styling is fine. If the vehicle was called something else... Toyota Z4.5 I'd applaud them for making a nice sports car, but I think as the next Supra it falls short and will be seen in 5 years as a flop.
How about the 300Z? Vr4? To name a couple that were just like it...
Old 05-16-2019, 04:31 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope

1. Manual transmission
2. Convertible (hardtop convertible would be fine, retractable or removable)
3. Interesting design/process. The S2000 is rare (to me) in how it came to be.

On the flip side, handling is hugely important to me and apparently they got this part right. Handling is far more important to me than torque. I love snap lane changes, cornering, etc, that I can do with the S2000. I wouldn't mind more torque but once I'm going as little as 20MPH I can control the car to get enough torque for my driving style.

My favored short trip:

Pull out of garage from home or work, tool around on city/side streets for a bit, heading to a highway on ramp. Open it up, 0-85 as fast as it'll go (traffic depending), cruise the highway for a bit, pull off, some back roads again, maybe back on the highway for a bit again. Then pull into a restaurant/gas station/store and get a compliment or two (seriously, so far this year, I've had someone say something every time I've driven it. It's wild.).

A big chunk of that experience involves the top being down. For me, the role this car fills requires it.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:50 PM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks like it could be a pretty fun track car. I might consider one for track and autocross (if it's classed well) in the future at some point, if I ever get bored of the S2K.

Quick Reply: 2020 Supra - Anyone else liking it and would replace your S2k for it?