S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Momentary Switch for AP2 V2 Center Console?

Old 06-15-2019, 11:26 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Momentary Switch for AP2 V2 Center Console?

I currently own a 2004 S2000 that is my project car. I am looking at moving the clutch safety switch off of the pedal and running it to a different switch inside the car, so that I don't have to depress my aftermarket clutch when starting the car. I know the 06+ AP2 V2 center console has a third button on it, where they moved the defroster off of the dash and replaced it with a traction control button. So, my thinking is that I'd like to replace my 2004 center console with a 2006+ center console and utilize the third button to replace my clutch safety switch, and as a bonus I much prefer the satin black to the silver AP2 V1 center console. Does anyone know if there is another button in the Honda parts bin that fits in the same location as the AP2 V2 defroster button and acts as a momentary switch?

Old 06-16-2019, 02:05 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I believe that switch is momentary anyway. The rear defroster is on a timer that is managed separate from the switch so the switch just gives the command. You would need to review the wire diagrams to determine which contacts on the switch close when it is pressed but that should not be too difficult.

FYI, I ended up wiring my VSA (traction control) button on the dash in parallel with the clutch interlock switch. That allowed me to use it as a clutch bypass while retaining the clutch interlock function as well.
The following users liked this post:
Dark Regent (06-16-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by jwzimm
I believe that switch is momentary anyway. The rear defroster is on a timer that is managed separate from the switch so the switch just gives the command. You would need to review the wire diagrams to determine which contacts on the switch close when it is pressed but that should not be too difficult.

FYI, I ended up wiring my VSA (traction control) button on the dash in parallel with the clutch interlock switch. That allowed me to use it as a clutch bypass while retaining the clutch interlock function as well.
Ah, I think you're right. I saw that the defroster switch lit up when pushed and was thinking that meant it latched. I didn't think about the timer function.

It's funny you should mention the VSA OFF switch, as I was playing with mine in my TL today noticing that it is a momentary switch, and I saw that it looks like the VSA OFF switch from an 06-11 Ridgeline might be the same form factor as the AP2 V2 defroster button. So, it looks like I might have a couple options for buttons/switches.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 06-16-2019, 08:08 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

The defroster button in the console is momentary. I put an MY06 button section and cup holder set into my MY04 console. The defroster button still has the defroster icon on the top but it's now my garage door opener. I took the circuit board out of my garage door opener, wired the defroster switch in parallel to the control button on the circuit board, mounted a battery to it and mounted the entire assembly under the button.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by hecash
The defroster button in the console is momentary. I put an MY06 button section and cup holder set into my MY04 console. The defroster button still has the defroster icon on the top but it's now my garage door opener. I took the circuit board out of my garage door opener, wired the defroster switch in parallel to the control button on the circuit board, mounted a battery to it and mounted the entire assembly under the button.
Yeah, that looks good. I may try to take it a step further and customize a button/symbol to match the function, but we'll see. It'd be nice to have the button light up too, but that's probably asking too much. I've sourced the center console, so we'll see what I can work out. Thanks for the info.