S2000 Brakes and Suspension Discussions about S2000 brake and suspension systems.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Sake Bomb

Pad for street

Old 06-18-2019, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pad for street

I am looking for a good a good brake pad for the street on a budget, and that keep “wheel dust” low. Not daily drive. Just Friday and weekend driving, and may see some “beginner” track day.

Currently have a new set of Michelin PS4S on AP2 17”. Car is a 2003 AP1 completely stock.

Any good experience with Powerstop Evolution or Stop-Tech? Yes you can recommend OEM, but I usually look for something a “better.”

Also, what about the rotors (front)? I am thinking on resurfacing/cut the stock plain front rotors.

Rear brakes will be done latter with similar stuff of what I put at the front.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:47 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

You already have excellent brakes. OE pads and discs are more than adequate than guessing on any aftermarket "better" product. The brakes on the car were engineered to work together and with your ABS. Any diddling with the brakes has the potential to make them less capable. If you want bling paint the calipers.

-- Chuck
Old 06-19-2019, 05:06 AM

Received 1,311 Likes on 991 Posts

I'm thinking his pads are worn, and he needs new ones regardless. So good opportunity to make a change if it helps. The stock pads do dust a lot compared to most cars stock pad.

The problem is its difficult to combine low dust and good performance. Pads that perform as well or better than stock often dust as much or more.

I will give this caution just in case. Be wary of 'race' pads on the street. Pads only work well within the temperature ranfe they were designed around. Even if you sometimes get pads up to race temp on the street (you won't), all the other times your pads will be performing way worse than even crappy pads. Just say no to race pads.
Old 06-19-2019, 06:32 AM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
You already have excellent brakes. OE pads and discs are more than adequate than guessing on any aftermarket "better" product. The brakes on the car were engineered to work together and with your ABS. Any diddling with the brakes has the potential to make them less capable. If you want bling paint the calipers.

-- Chuck
Thanks grandpa. He is talking about pads & rotors, not Invidia Q300 cat back exhausts & ear plugs.
The following users liked this post:
myfairlady240z (08-13-2020)
Old 06-19-2019, 07:25 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

A low dust, trackable pad doesn't exist in 2019, on a car with metal rotors.

Stoptech 309 (SPORT) or PMU HC are viable "dual use" candidates. They dust a bunch...but it washes off.

Maybe the Powerstop Z26 will work? But...probably not.

Just buy new centric blank rotors. No point in resurfacing yours. They're already very thin.

Last edited by B serious; 06-19-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:36 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

I have the Powerstop Evolution on my AP2. I think they're great for the street. After installing them I drove on them back to back comparing them to my CR (which is mine now ), which were on OEM pads at the time. We both noticed that the powerstop had better initial bite than the OEM pads, on spirited drives it also had no problem slowing the car down. The best part is they give off little to no dust! So for the street, I think they are great! I'm not sure I would use them on track though.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:55 AM

Received 1,191 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by TsukubaCody
Thanks grandpa. He is talking about pads & rotors, not Invidia Q300 cat back exhausts & ear plugs.

He is not wrong. The OEM honda pads are actually pretty darned good for street use.

I liked the Stop Techs as well. Not nearly as dusty as something like Hawks, but performed well and were not noisy. I have those on the back now and Hawks up front mainly because I got a deal on the Hawks and I do like the feel of them for my autocross use. But, they dust more than the Stop Techs did on the front.

Also as mentioned, get some new blank rotors. I rarely, if ever, resurface a rotor. Most times, with the prices of rotors these days, I just replace them after running multiple sets of pads out on them. Centric blanks are great rotors and are not silly expensive. I have run a lot of Centrics on multiple cars with great luck. Centric also makes the Stop Tech pads.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
I have the Powerstop Evolution on my AP2. I think they're great for the street. After installing them I drove on them back to back comparing them to my CR (which is mine now ), which were on OEM pads at the time. We both noticed that the powerstop had better initial bite than the OEM pads, on spirited drives it also had no problem slowing the car down. The best part is they give off little to no dust! So for the street, I think they are great! I'm not sure I would use them on track though.
Can you recall if those are Z23 or Z26?
Those are the ones they have on their website.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:43 PM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Don't resurface or cut rotors, and don't bother replacing unless they measure at or near minimum thickness.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by ZDan
Don't resurface or cut rotors, and don't bother replacing unless they measure at or near minimum thickness.
They are like bent a little.

I am in Miami, so they are hot from normal driving then you get a rain out of nowhere and a puddle. They bend.

Resurfacing is like $9 each. Resurfacing/cutting make sense. Is a couple of ____ of an inch.

Quick Reply: Pad for street